Do you have a controversial golf take?

If you don't finish (insert tee time spacing plus a couple minute buffer) behind the group ahead of you, you get fined.

Eliminate dress codes on courses open to the public. ... especially now that people have put on their Covid weight. Sometimes they only have one or two pairs of pants that fit.
Disagree
No way do I want to see a wife beater and jeans on the course! Do away with collard shirts, but certainly not a graphic T with some silly saying.

If you don't finish (insert tee time spacing plus a couple minute buffer) behind the group ahead of you, you get fined.
Love this.
I'd set it up so that if you finish in 3:45 or less you get a $10 discount. But if you finish more than 10 minutes after the group ahead of you, you are penalized $20.

Obviously this would have some Kinks that need to be worked out, but in my experience people will do ridiculous things to save 10 bucks.

All the OB, drop radius, stroke & distance rules should be abandoned and one rule implemented: everything is a lateral hazard. Place a ball (yes, bend down and give yourself a nice lie) within 2 club lengths of where you went in, and add a stroke. If there is a question, a playing partner will spot your placement.

Per 2019 USGA "Local Rule" all Lost Balls can be dropped one club length in the fairway no closer to the hole at point of entry to the area where you are virtually certain that the ball was lost with a 2 stroke penalty. Also applies to balls OB. Ball is dropped from knee height. I clear this with the random foursome that "we're playing with official USGA 2019 local rules, right?"

Also another little known 2019 official rule is that you can drop out of a bunker in line with the flag for a 2 stroke penalty. If you really suck at bunker play sometimes it's the best option. I witnessed a situation in my last round where my playing partner would have benefited.

Most slow play groups I see are in carts. Just saying ... 😎
Because walking sucks. Everyone wants that over with a soon as possible.

Per 2019 USGA "Local Rule" all Lost Balls can be dropped one club length in the fairway no closer to the hole at point of entry to the area where you are virtually certain that the ball was lost with a 2 stroke penalty. Also applies to balls OB. Ball is dropped from knee height. I clear this with the random foursome that "we're playing with official USGA 2019 local rules, right?"

Also another little known 2019 official rule is that you can drop out of a bunker in line with the flag for a 2 stroke penalty. If you really suck at bunker play sometimes it's the best option. I witnessed a situation in my last round where my playing partner would have benefited.
2 strokes!?!?! In what kind of Draconian dystopia are we living???

Putts on the fringe or on really tight lies should be counted as putts not chips if you are tracking your putting stats
That’s how I count them. If I’m using my putter as a putter off the green, it’s a putt

No just any kind of shirt. And honestly, I'd be perfectly fine playing alongside shirtless golfers. In general, I think golfers are far too anal about what other people are doing, and that attitude drives people away from the game. Dress codes are just another example of this. In my opinion, if what you're wearing would be acceptable in public, it is acceptable on the golf course.

Ooh, no. I've got to draw the line at no shirt. Even though I'd rather not see it, I'll take a dirty wife beater on some guy... especially if he's pushing 300 pounds. I dont want to see moobs of any kind. Front or back. Ugh. No.

2nd Jman, ban riding. It’s a game meant to be walked, you’ll generally play better & the courses will be in better shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are some people that can't play golf unless they're able to ride... health conditions and such. Some are members here... I feel for him because he's not able to play when his state course opened up but were walking only.

These are all against actual recent rulings:
- allow posting scores played as a single
- allow anchoring for putting (I never did it, but will now try it if allowed)
- drops from shoulder height, or anything other than knee height - so awkward

Posting score as a single happens anyway.
No to anchored putting.
Drop from where you like. I'd prefer ankle height... better yet, just place the ball.

#1. The beverage cart should be replaced by beverage stations. Too many holdups mid hole waiting for people to get drinks.

#2. All golfers should have their first round be a "how to play golf" round with a course rep. Teach simple etiquette, how to fill divots and fix ball marks, when/where to take relief, and how to act on the course.

#1. The beverage cart should be replaced by beverage stations. Too many holdups mid hole waiting for people to get drinks.

#2. All golfers should have their first round be a "how to play golf" round with a course rep. Teach simple etiquette, how to fill divots and fix ball marks, when/where to take relief, and how to act on the course.
#1 could be staffed by this bartender from the Love Boat.
For #2 that should be taught in school.

Ladies days are dumb.....
My home course had one up until a few years ago. My mom and her friends and a few other groups would play. They eventually opened it up to anyone. That being said she now plays with my dad and his buddies if they need a player on men's day. Equally opportunity.

What about everybody behind them? Do they pay extra too? This will just make the arseholes even angrier.

Here’s a controversial take: don’t try to squeeze in 18 if you don’t have an hour extra to kill afterwards. Play 9 if you absolutely, positively can’t afford to be done in more than 4 hours. Leisurely golf isn’t the problem, players who are rushing everyone else through the course so they can finish “on time” are.
Yeah, it would make getting stuck behind a slow group more painful, but I'd bet you the club house would get a few calls if they got a bad group out there, and then they'd actually solve it. I think the peer pressure with this would solve the slow group problem. Heck you could even do a discount, play in under 3;30 get 10$ back.

Its not about the extra hour its about enjoying the round. I understand for everyone its different for me, but it really kills my round if I'm waiting at my ball for 5 minutes before all of my shots.

I’m in favor of increasing the allowable club limit. My take is, if a player is good enough to make the shot with a certain club, why limit his/her ability to do so? I’m not saying unlimited, but I don’t think 16 clubs is unreasonable. I’d like to carry both a utility iron and hybrid instead of having to decide between the two, maybe an extra wedge, etc. If one shot calls for a hybrid based on circumstances, then another calls for a utility iron, doesn’t make sense to me that I shouldn’t be able to have both clubs in my bag. I know technically I could, but then the same question arises around whatever club I removed to make room, and the cycle continues.
I'd go the other way, limit bags to 11 clubs.

#1 won’t happen because the course gets significant revenue on drinks and because they can pay their beverage cart people barely anything because they are tipped employees.

I'm always surprised that walk vs riding is such a contentious issuer here at THP.

I totally get having a strong preference, but you don't hear the riders complain about the other as much. I think all these purists who say the game was meant to be walked and pros should have to carry their own bag blah blah blah should have to play every round carrying their bag, on uneven terrain, wearing no arch/padding flat leather shoes, in a heavy wool three piece, because that's how the game was 'meant to be played', and they can sit at home with their blistered feet and aching backs while we just keep on riding well into old age.

2 strokes!?!?! In what kind of Draconian dystopia are we living???

Under the new "local rule" you get to drop in the fairway, not two club lengths in from the out of bounds stakes, or two club lengths from where you think it might have ended up - whether that's still in the woods or in the rough. Instead of making the walk of shame, rehitting and taking a stroke and distance penalty, the local rule assumes you hit a provisional ball and it landed in the fairway. You get a near perfect lie. I don't think this is draconian at all.

Under the new "local rule" you get to drop in the fairway, not two club lengths in from the out of bounds stakes, or two club lengths from where you think it might have ended up - whether that's still in the woods or in the rough. Instead of making the walk of shame, rehitting and taking a stroke and distance penalty, the local rule assumes you hit a provisional ball and it landed in the fairway. You get a near perfect lie. I don't think this is draconian at all.
Yeah, if you hit it well, but OB, and didn't hit your provisional well, you'd probably love to be laying the same but in the fairway near the first one.

Back