Do you have a favorite vacation spot?

Parrot

Down to the banana republics . . .
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have several places I love visiting. 30A in Florida between Destin and PCB, the Rocky Mountains, western NC and NYC. But, St. John wins every time for our “big” trips. We’ve been to a few other islands in the Caribbean but none of them are close to STJ for us. We’ve talked about other islands but always revert back to STJ. I guess it’s a form of FOMO. Maybe we are just in our ways and like what we like.

Old Orchard Beach Maine for me. My mom has been going there once a summer (missed a few years here and there) since she was 5; and not a whole lot has changed since then. We stay right on the beach and everything is walkable (boardwalk/pier, restaurants, beach bars, mini golf, and souvenir shops). There is also three decent golf courses within 10 minutes drive, and Portland (great city I’d like to explore more of) is only 20 minutes away. It is definitely my happy place.

I've been fortunate enough to enjoy a week in Naples FL every fall for around 12 years now - it's certainly something I look forward to each and all year. I have friends with homes down there which makes it very convenient - we literally have all the comforts of home while we're there. And of course there is no shortage of golf courses to choose from.

For a weeklong family vacation I can go to any beach. They all have their own quirks and are distinct, but they also all have a lot more in common than they are different. Taking a long walk in the morning with my wife, enjoying long coffees, eating seafood for dinner, and doing something fun a few afternoons and taking a nap the rest of the days. Hard to beat that schedule for a week.

We are all over the place, but the wife and I were talking and I think Destin will be our go to now that the girls are older. We usually hit Colorado Springs, but only so much to do there and I rather be by the beach and just relaxing.

30-A
Hilton Head Island

Used to be Florida however we need to find a new spot.

Saint Lucia for us.

We went there for our honeymoon, as well as one other time, and as soon as we have the time and money, we will be back.
This is interesting, I have heard it was fantastic in the past. My girlfriend just went there a few months ago and said she would never go back.

But, St. John wins every time for our “big” trips. We’ve been to a few other islands in the Caribbean but none of them are close to STJ for us. We’ve talked about other islands but always revert back to STJ. I guess it’s a form of FOMO.

Yes, St. John is a wonderful place. I lived and worked for three years as a charterboat captain on a magnificent yacht sailing out of Red Hook Harbor, on the east end of St. Thomas. One of our primary stops was in Francis Bay on St. John when we did day-charters. For week-long charters we sailed all over the US and BVIs, but always anchored at least one night in St. John. It's so much more laid back and non-commercial than St. Thomas or St. Croix. A great place to hideout when you want to just chill with Caribbean nature. And, it has some truly beautiful beaches, with good snorkeling in crystal clear waters. Now, if it only had a golf course, there'd be no reason to live anywhere else! If you haven't done so, next time you're there, take the ferry to Red Hook one day and play Mahogany Run in St. Thomas.

Hawaii, Maui in particular, is my favorite spot to relax. I'll usually head there 2 - 4 times a year, but with Covid, it has been tough. Next month will be my first time back in 2 years, and I cannot wait.

Charleston, SC. Once we move there, we’ll have to find a new answer!

My wife's son lives there and she visited over Thanksgiving. She loves going there! Leon's is her favorite restaurant, but there are so many great places!

My wife's son lives there and she visited over Thanksgiving. She loves going there! Leon's is her favorite restaurant, but there are so many great places!
Charleston is a culinary delight. Soul food, meets Cajun, meets seafood. Goodness gracious the dishes I have eaten there are incredible.

Yes, St. John is a wonderful place. I lived and worked for three years as a charterboat captain on a magnificent yacht sailing out of Red Hook Harbor, on the east end of St. Thomas. One of our primary stops was in Francis Bay on St. John when we did day-charters. For week-long charters we sailed all over the US and BVIs, but always anchored at least one night in St. John. It's so much more laid back and non-commercial than St. Thomas or St. Croix. A great place to hideout when you want to just chill with Caribbean nature. And, it has some truly beautiful beaches, with good snorkeling in crystal clear waters. Now, if it only had a golf course, there'd be no reason to live anywhere else! If you haven't done so, next time you're there, take the ferry to Red Hook one day and play Mahogany Run in St. Thomas.
Frances is our favorite beach. We are there at least twice when we are on island.

Mahogany Run didn’t make it after Irmaria. It was struggling anyway but that was the death blow.

I do have a favorite vacation spot I like to visit. Surprisingly it has nothing to do with golf.

I really enjoy the Monument Valley/Valley of the Gods/Medicine Hat/Four Corners area of the country.

Just a beautiful area for hiking, and photography. Also meeting, and talking with some of the Native Americans is also a plus.

We will be visiting this area again next spring for about a week, or so. It's a part of the Grand Circle tourist attraction.

Now that I don’t live close to the mountains anymore I look forward to ski vacations more than warm weather spots. Jackson Hole, Aspen, and Snowbird/Alta are some of my favorite resorts.

Mahogany Run didn’t make it after Irmaria. It was struggling anyway but that was the death blow.

That's terrible news. I had not heard that, though I'm not surprised. I played it a few times when I lived there, which back then in the early 2000s, it was considered a really nice course by the golf world. Time changes everything, I suppose. So now, I assume, the only golf in the USVI is on St. Croix....my least favorite of the three big islands.

We are still in our ‘see it all’ phase. Personally, I grew up vacationing in Orlando and Ocean Isle Beach, NC every few years, but for now I’m happy to plan trips wherever the wife wants to go. Those two places are still special to me, but if I had to plan one last trip, Hawaii or Ireland would be my answer.

This is interesting, I have heard it was fantastic in the past. My girlfriend just went there a few months ago and said she would never go back.

That is interesting, wonder if where she stayed had anything to do with it. To me, it is one of the most beautiful places I have been to, and I have been to a lot of places in the Caribbean.

Ocean City, NJ.....Went as a kid and loved it. Took my kids and loved it. Now enjoying taking Gran Kids. It's a family centric place.

That's terrible news. I had not heard that, though I'm not surprised. I played it a few times when I lived there, which back then in the early 2000s, it was considered a really nice course by the golf world. Time changes everything, I suppose. So now, I assume, the only golf in the USVI is on St. Croix....my least favorite of the three big islands.
Yes, Buccaneer and Carambola courses. St. Croix is my least favorite island, too.

Barbados & St Lucia are favorite "destination" places because of the All-Inclusive All Adult fun at Sandals Resorts. That's a blast every time I go. Other than that, my beach house near VA Beach on the Chesapeake Bay, where I can do all the fishing I want either off my jet skis or the boat. Put me on the water, relaxing with the waves, catching fish & beer in hand .... nothing better in my mind. Plus there are golf courses not far but when I'm there I don't think much about golf in all honesty. I'd much rather be on the water. :cool:

Back