Do You Have A Flop Shot In Your Arsenal?

fairwaynut

Bettinardi Aficionado
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
SingleMalt
Wondering if you THPers have this shot in your bag? Its not something I've play alot mainly because I don't have anything higher than a 56*.

I used to have a high flop but switched to more low shots. Can’t do it anymore? Don’t carry a 60 either.

No, don't need one. I can get plenty of loft from a 58* with a firm strike and a slightly open face. A flop shot was a 20/80 proposition for me. 20% of the time it worked. 80% of the time it was fat or skulled. That's risks too many strokes.

Yes, I love to hit flop shots, although I don't always execute them well. It's a very satisfying shot to pull off and I actually use it quite a bit.

Usually have the need to hit one per round on average with an opened up 58 degree wedge.

Yes, I have hit flop shots but it requires practice. For me, it depends on the lie and the shot faced.

Usually have the need to hit one per round on average with an opened up 58 degree wedge.

That's me. 58 degrees is definitely enough loft to execute the shot.

I do, but don't use it very often. I like to practice it on the range. I use my 58 deg with 8 deg bounce.

When I played 53 as my highest wedge, yes.

With the 60 now it's not really needed.

When I practiced it I could pull it off occasionally but have now gone on to less insane shots. Just better for the score.?

Only when I have to, otherwise it’s never worth the risk

I have a 58 that I use for them. Don't do it often though.

I've been known to pull off a flop shot every now and then. I have a 60* for it now but even back when a 56* wedge was my highest I could loft the ball up pretty good.

I used to carry a 60 degree wedge and could hit a pretty good one out of a good lie. I have been carrying 56 as my most lofted wedge and don’t try it anymore. I only recall trying it twice in 2019 when the match dictated me needing to hole it or get up and down in a place where only a flop shot would work. I don’t recall either working out for me

One of my favorites. Probably use it too much honestly.

Yes but only with the driver

The sky mark left on the driver is so worth it when you pull off that shot perfectly.

I'm the age that I was a young player when Phil started dazzling everyone with them, so I practiced it a ton and I'd say I'm good at it. It's invaluable when absolutely necessary.

It's like anything else that's bad for you though. I avoid the temptation as best I can.

I can flop it, not like @Canadan

I tend to play more conservative so I’ll only do this play when it absolutely calls for it, as it is high risk, high reward

I can play a flop when absolutely needed, once every 15-20 rounds maybe? The results are often good but the misses are so devastating that I no longer play it nearly as often as I used to. I still practice it a little, so those rare opps aren't terrifying. Used flops A LOT MORE back in the day but my foursome then would also practice the crap out of all kinds of get out of jail wedge shots. When the courses were busy we'd always wait for the next tee to clear and then see who could get it closest to a tee marker, over, under, through the obstacles in between. You'd often win or lose as much $ between holes as during your round.

Yeah, I'm a "flopper". It's a great shot to have in one's bag. I practice hitting this shot quite often.

I doesn't have to a full swing shot either. I had a situation whete my ball was just off the green, with the pin about 4' away. Problem was there was an irrigation sprinkler, and control box directly between my ball and pin. Couldn't putt, chip was iffy, and a short pitch might run too long. So, I hit a "mini flopper" with my lob wedge.

I remember this shot because luckily I slam dunked the ball into the hole.

If you don't have a flop, or lob shot in your bag, get one.

I’ve got an ok one, don’t use it a ton, but it’s a lot of fun when it works out.

Only when I have to, otherwise it’s never worth the risk

This for me as well. I use it maybe once every 15- 20 rounds. With the sloped super fast greens I normally play on, even a well-executed flop shot isn't going to stop within 15 feet of the hole if I've shortsided myself or gone over the green.

Wondering if you THPers have this shot in your bag? Its not something I've play alot mainly because I don't have anything higher than a 56*.
Open up your stance, while having your 56* open, but square to to your target. Swing along your open shoulder line. The open club face will send the ball towards your target.

I can hit flops with with 6 different clubs (8i-lw) for different distances. I not alway accurate with them, but I can get the ball way up high with out much roll after the carry.

Back