Do You Have A Flop Shot In Your Arsenal?

Open up your stance, while having your 56* open, but square to to your target. Swing along your open shoulder line. The open club face will send the ball towards your target.

I can hit flops with with 6 different clubs (8i-lw) for different distances. I not alway accurate with them, but I can get the ball way up high with out much roll after the carry.

Thanks for the tips, sir!

Something I use only when the course isn't playing tight lies. Need some grass under the ball. We have a couple of holes where you have to hit it high or the ball will slide off the green.

I carry one of those C3i wedges. It's a 60. I use it with extreme confidence if I have a lie which is not tight....If it is tight and I have to hit that shot....outcomes are many...

I use it a few times a round depending on the course I’m playing. I enjoy playing the shot. Still do my fair share of chip n runs though

Yes. We have a lot of raised greens. Short side misses often require a flop shot. I love the 60* PM for these. I typically hit them well but controlling the distance is less certain, esp. when I can't see up to where I am hitting. I also practice flop shots.

Anyone have a good link for how to hit one, have been trying to figure it out on my own and it’s pissing off a lot of people in the practice area lol

Anyone have a good link for how to hit one, have been trying to figure it out on my own and it’s pissing off a lot of people in the practice area lol

This is an older one:

I use to hit it quite often when I carried the MD64 in my bag. I still do occasionally with the 62 version.

I do it so often, it's practically the high percentage shot for me.

absolutely. It's one of my absolute favorite things to do on a golf course.

My highest lofted club is a 57 degree wedge. I can hit it higher up than forward with relative ease.

Closest I come is an opened up 56° wedge on a short shot I need to get up. Don't dare too often tho :LOL:

I do when I need it, which is no where near as often as I used to think was necessary. I would use a flop shot in spots where a mid range chip would work, I’ve gotten much better at keeping it only for short sided shots with not much opportunity to play it low.

I can hit a 30 yard 30 yard high flop with a 52*.

Generally though i blade it 10ft high and 130 yards so it’s generally a last option shot for me. About 50/50 in recent years on it being successful and generally when it’s not it’s a 4-5 stroke fix. So like I said, last option.

Yes, I can hit a flop shot...they come in quite handy sometimes.

I just ordered a 60 degree so I’m hoping to gain a flop in addition to a few others. I really need to put some time in on the chipping range.

I did/do & it’s why I hate my current 60. It has some much bounce that I’m not sure I can open it up enough for a proper flop. I can occasionally but it has to be just right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I have it. Open up the sixty and let the club get in front of my hands and up it goes. Haven't had to use it much as I've gotten better at not leaving myself shots where I need to do it.

No. Well not intentionally anyways but there have been those rare occasions the ball was sitting up and resulted in a flop shot. Of course it was never good because it was not what was needed at the time.

Flop shots are specialized. I'll hit it if I'm short sided and have a need to attack the hole to win or halve a hole. If I don't, I'll go for a safer shot. I use a 58/8 C-grind. It's the grind of the wedge that allow me to lay it almost flat. I practice this shot off the mat at the range.

One of my favorite shots to hit when needed.

I really enjoy using my 58 to hit flops. One of my favorite shots to hit

No sir! I have a hard enough time playing as it is!

Back