Do You Have A Flop Shot In Your Arsenal?

I'll go with my kids favorite answer: yes and no.

I do, but it is kind of like Ron Weasely's wand in the 2nd Harry Potter...

Used to. Lost it.

When we moved from NY to NC 4 yrs ago, I had immediate issues adjusting to bermuda rough. So I became much more conservative in my approach. Less hands, more big muscles.

Not only that but I found that my preferred low-bounce wedges that worked so well for me up north, were abysmal here for my game. So started a seemingly endless search for the right wedge.

Higher bounce has solved some issues but not to the extent to return my short game confidence. Sucks... I used to crave the challenge that various leaves would offer. Now I just want to mostly take the easiest bailout.

Hate that.

Negative have not really ever tried it.

I carry a PM 60* and love hitting a flop shot. One of the most rewarding shots when you pull it off. I'd say I'd pull it off 2/3 of the time.

def not but now i want one

I used to have it in the bag but I took it out recently because its such a high risk shot.

I’ve got it and it has bailed me out of some short sided jams. PM Grind 58 makes flops so easy

Wondering if you THPers have this shot in your bag? Its not something I've play alot mainly because I don't have anything higher than a 56*.

I pulled off the pictured shot when playing with Paladin in GA last weekend. Unfortunately, I missed the putt.Screenshot_20200126-192714_Golf Pad.jpg

I have a fairly decent flop shot with a 60 degree. I use it more in the summer months when the grass is more suitable for it.

I enjoy the flop shot. Its a shot I only go for when it is absolutely necessary though. 98% of the time it isn’t necessary on the courses I play. If I need a shot to stop faster, I’ll typically just open the face a little and make sure to dump the club a bit early to increase the club head speed through the ball. It kinda gives me similar results to the flop (spin and stopping power), but is a higher percentage shot for me to pull off.

Yes, I carry a 60*for the flop.

Yep. My favorite shot to use. I only use it when necessary but I smile when it is going to happen. I can flop with 8 iron through sand wedge. Just open her up and play similar t a sand wedge.

On the driving range, I like the swing as hard as I can an obtain the shortest distance. A good one I can catch moving a couple of steps forward.

It is really used when I need a scramble up and down. Also, I like it to practice my soft sand trap outs. Land and stick.

I don't have a flop shot in my arsenal, but I do unintentionally hit a flop every once in awhile. :LOL::LOL:

I actually do, and play it quite a lot. I've toned it down a wee bit though, and will only play it off the perfect lie otherwise it's bringing too much chance of a thin into play. Open up the 60 degree, nice wide long swing and go for it. Would love to be able to play the Phil style lob off a tight or bare lie though, think that would be a great shot to have in the bag.

I can play it, but I try not to

I will practice it at the range if I take my 58, and at the end of a short game lesson I had once, my instructor had me hitting them off ridiculous bare lies, and once I got my confidence it actually became relatively easy to do
I almost slam-dunked a shot yesterday from about 30yds to a tight pin on a downhill slope where the ball rolled out to around 6-8ft but I made the return putt

I can pull one off but I rarely ever have the need to do so

The flop shot is the best example of an over-explained shot in my game. Whenever I’m standing over the ball I immediately start thinking of all the different tips and tricks I’ve seen in the dozens of “How to Hit a Flop Shot” videos I’ve watched. Unfortunately the result is usually a worm-burner off the other side of the green.

I have many “flop” s***s at my disposal, but most would just say their right and short. I do practice a traditional flop shot at times when there’s no one to the right of me on the range though.

I used to have a decent flop shot.
Started shanking my wedges, and I haven't attempted one since.

With a 58* or higher I can every once in a while, exclusively dictated by the lie.

Yeah, absolutely. I have a lot of confidence with it. More so than a normal pitch some days

I agree with many that it looks great when Phil does it. Mine is more for fun to use in the chipping area as I don't use it enough to make it high percentage. I have some success with it closer to the green and behind a tree, though.

Back