Do You Have A Flop Shot In Your Arsenal?

Open up your stance, while having your 56* open, but square to to your target. Swing along your open shoulder line. The open club face will send the ball towards your target.

I can hit flops with with 6 different clubs (8i-lw) for different distances. I not alway accurate with them, but I can get the ball way up high with out much roll after the carry.

Exactly how I play it and learned how to do this in the early 80's. I used to carry two 56* SW's with two completely different sole's. One for tight lies and one for rough and sand. I was just recently practicing this old technique off of a hitting mat. It still works!

It shouldn't matter if you have a 56* or not. I only carry a 56* & love to play the flop shot. It's one of my favorite shots to play & practice.

This is a shot I have in The Arsenal but it is a shot I don't try much of during a round of Golf.

Coincidentally I tried it last round because I flew a Par 3 and was on a downhill lie. I can square the face and knock it on and watch it roll 15-20 feet past the pin for a Par putt...Or try and get cute with a flop shot and hope I land it far enough for it to feed down have a more manageable par putt.

I tried the flop and unfortunately didn't hit it far enough and I was still in the rough, I didn't quite reach the fringe. I then just knocked it on and happily saved bogey.

I do and it's something I practice at the range for fun but rarely execute on the course as it is a higher risk shot. The last time I did it was at a course with lightning fast greens and I had a tight lie and a bunker between me and the small piece of green where the pin was located. The caddie suggested a pitch to the right of the sand trap leaving a 35+ foot putt downhill. I chose the flop and it hit where I wanted it and lipped out for a tap in par. (the previous time I attempted it I came up short and ended up with a bunker shot which I was okay with)

Yes I can pull this shot off but it's usually because I hit a drive way right over the tree line to another fairway. I have pulled it off a couple times after doing this and ending up on the previous holes tee box. About 50-60 yards away and go over the tree and stick it close for a birdie putt. Remember one of the time the guys in the group behind but in the same game were giving me grief about it and I put it about 2 ft. Shut them up pretty quick!:LOL:

Love the flop shot and use it quite often. It is a great shot to use if you short side yourself from the pin. A good tip I learned way back in the day is to relax the hands.

One time in a league match, I faced a shot that had to be flopped....raised berm guarding the pin tucked tight. DAMMIT! I forgot my 60degree wedge at the practice green so I ran back in my buddy's cart to get it. When I got back of course everyone in my group had holed out and the group on the tee were all leaning on their clubs so of course I rushed the shot.

You guessed it, I bladed the damn thing hard over the green but alas, the ball went screaming right into the flag that grabbed it up like a catcher's mitt. The ball dropped straight down to about 10 inches away. Tap-in PAR!

...I'd rather be lucky than good :p

I can hit it, but I'm not that confident in it, so I don't try during a real round very often.

Yes, I have a flop shot and I love hitting it. I channel my inner Philly Mick and throw that thing to the sky....when needed.

I was hitting flop shots with a 54 degree that has 12 degrees of bounce yesterday in a challenge game with the kids at practice, they didn't like that I did that to them.

I am the best flop shot player in practice, on the course, usually last resort, but when I end up in high fescue and all hope is lost (with a I have nothing to lose mentality), I usually pull it off. But when mentally I think there may be another option, I struggle with it. #mentalcase

Wondering if you THPers have this shot in your bag? Its not something I've play alot mainly because I don't have anything higher than a 56*.

i'd been meaning to start trying this but it never happened...maybe after I get back. I have a 60 that I barely use...

Yes I do. I practice it in the backyard often during the summer months. I find I don't need that shot very often but its a nice one to have in the bag.

Yes, but sometimes in the rough, my flop shot flops.

Weight on front foot, open the face, take your grip, hinge and keep face open going back, cut across ball outside to in, keep face open, arms close to body.

Good luck.

The funny thing is I was on the range getting acquainted with my new 60* wedge this morning when this thread popped in my head. I have never had a wedge with more loft the a 58* and that was my CBX which I don’t feel would be even a wise decision to even try a flop shot. Suddenly on a whim I decided why not? Evidently yes I can flop shot now. Maybe not perfect every time by any means but considering I had never tried before and my first attempt went straight up over the bunker and dropped dead a foot and a half from the hole I think I can start working on it and add it to my game.

The funny thing is I was on the range getting acquainted with my new 60* wedge this morning when this thread popped in my head. I have never had a wedge with more loft the a 58* and that was my CBX which I don’t feel would be even a wise decision to even try a flop shot. Suddenly on a whim I decided why not? Evidently yes I can flop shot now. Maybe not perfect every time by any means but considering I had never tried before and my first attempt went straight up over the bunker and dropped dead a foot and a half from the hole I think I can start working on it and add it to my game.

Oh noes...we have a flop shot addict in the making :cool: "Well first I used to flop shots with my friends and then I started flopping on my own and that's when I knew I had a problem."

It's just so much fun to play!

Go to 4 minute mark

A great shot when you pull it off but I try to only use it when I have to.

A great shot when you pull it off but I try to only use it when I have to.

In some areas, like N Texas, we don't have all bump and run opportunities - it's a lot of target golf. If you don't find the target, you can be 5-10 ft below the green, and out comes the LW Flop. Otherwise, I'm looking for something to run up to the green and roll. But if greens are too undulating, out comes the LW, to hit high and put on brakes, or that is the plan anyway...

I do. I have a 62º wedge that serves that purpose very well.

ps: I just ordered 4 CBX2 wedges from Cleveland.

In some areas, like N Texas, we don't have all bump and run opportunities - it's a lot of target golf. If you don't find the target, you can be 5-10 ft below the green, and out comes the LW Flop. Otherwise, I'm looking for something to run up to the green and roll. But if greens are too undulating, out comes the LW, to hit high and put on brakes, or that is the plan anyway...

In the Carolinas we also have a lot of raised greens so the shot is key when you short side yourself. I take a good look at the lie before trying one as some times its better to take your medicine and hit to the far side of the green that put yourself back in harms way.

I used to have a ok one but it takes a lot of practice and can go horribly wrong and I usually try to keep it as low as possible now.

I do. I have a 62º wedge that serves that purpose very well.

ps: I just ordered 4 CBX2 wedges from Cleveland.

I never went past 60. I bet you can nearly get a flop playing a 62 square!

In the Carolinas we also have a lot of raised greens so the shot is key when you short side yourself. I take a good look at the lie before trying one as some times its better to take your medicine and hit to the far side of the green that put yourself back in harms way.

But it's sooo much fun when you do pull it off!

I played back in Nov with one of our club's best players for the first time; just met him. I pushed a par three tee shot out to the right. The shot was over the corner of the bunker to a tight pin and I pulled off an absolute Phil shot....straight up, dropped over the bunker and trickled ten slippery feet to a 10 inch tap-in par. Dude was wowed.

I never went past 60. I bet you can nearly get a flop playing a 62 square!

But it's sooo much fun when you do pull it off!

I played back in Nov with one of our club's best players for the first time; just met him. I pushed a par three tee shot out to the right. The shot was over the corner of the bunker to a tight pin and I pulled off an absolute Phil shot....straight up, dropped over the bunker and trickled ten slippery feet to a 10 inch tap-in par. Dude was wowed.

Exactly right. No need to manipulate the club. However, I can open it even more for a super flop shot...if there is such a thing, lol

Yes, and 60% of the time it works 100% of the time.

Back