Do you have a lot of different wedge shots in your arsenal?

I'll talk about my 3 speciality wedges and not my 2 sets wedges so this doesn't turn into a loft jacking thread. :p

Each of them I will play different shots with. In all 3, I will do full swings. Also do knock downs with everything but the 60.

52 deg
  • Full shots fairway and rough
  • Runner chips from green edge where small carry, more green
  • Fairway bunkers in the 60-80 yard range
56 deg
  • Full shots fairway and rough
  • Primary chipping around the green
  • Partial shots from fairway / tight lies
  • Heavy / wet sand around greens
60 deg
  • Full shots rough
  • Full shots from fairway if short side pin position
  • Lob / flop shot
  • Light / fluffy sand
I may adjust which club is my primary chipping duties depending on speed of the green. My PW is my primary bump and run for small to mid size greens with 8i for larger greens.

I think that's all. Might have a few one off type shots I might pull out for fun.

I love my wedges and can get real creative with the shots. Bump, full, chip, flop, toe down... the real question needs to be can i execute on the wedge shots in my arsenal, because in my mind I’m Phil. In reality, not so much.

I have a beautiful 10 foot chip shot with my 60*, unfortunately it always appears when I am needing to go 30 yards. :LOL:

Having a few different wedge shots is a must and has been an integral part of my short game. Being able to play a chip and run all the way to a flop shot gives me several options each time I’m faced with saving an up & Down.

I'm pretty versatile at flighting my wedges based on the situation. I need to learn a more consistent hard checking shot, I seem to have lost that one lately. My favorite is the big flop shot and I've become pretty good at it. Around the green I'll use everything from a 7 iron up to my 60*in different ways.

That flop shot comes in handy. Especially if your alt-shot partner flys the green and leaves you 10’ below the green in some thick rough.

I’m sure you’re thankful you’ve never had that happen though. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: KEV
I have a high, medium, and low wedge shots from any wedge distance but it’s the part of my game that I work on the least.

That's everybody.
I'm talking about when you accidentally hit the shot that you were trying to execute.
I actually spent a lot of time at the end of last year working in wedges. I’m generally pretty comfortable from 100 yards and in, am always aiming to be at least putting and then the close I get to the green the more I’m looking to be in one putt range. Still a lot of work to do, but is all about practice practice practice.

That flop shot comes in handy. Especially if your alt-shot partner flys the green and leaves you 10’ below the green in some thick rough.

I’m sure you’re thankful you’ve never had that happen though. ;)
My favourite part of the flop shot is when you accidentally centre ball it and it carries 320 yards ?

One thing that I don't see many others here on the forum do is bag a "sand only" wedge not intended for use from the grass (except possibly in thick, tangley rough).

I guess that I'm one of the very few who still does that.

The old sand irons were oval-faced with a curved leading edge onset out in front of the shaft. I'm sure that you've all seen pictures. This round leading edge cut a narrow furrow into the sand as it approached the ball. Instead of the massive cloud of sand that we see today, the old sand iron splashed out a rooster tail of sand and this reduced resistance lessened the likelihood of flubbing the shot and leaving the ball in the greenside bunker.

Then as courses were watered more and the run-up game gave way to target golf, players wanted a sand iron better suited to hitting from the fairway. The leading edge straightened out and the club became more like a higher lofted pitching wedge, maybe with a little more bounce.

Then years after that, the sand wedge was complemented by the lob wedge, and as iron lofts got stronger, the gap wedge appeared as well.

That pretty much ended space for the pure sand iron unless somebody were to contrive the incremental loft progression of his/her set to make room for it.

The reality is that if you don't practice a lot, the old fashioned curved leading edge club is STILL much more forgiving in the sand than the modern sand wedge.

Once I accustomed myself to that kind of club, I didn't want to give it up. At my level, priority one of making a greenside sand shot is not necessarily a successful sand save up and down but more than anything, to at least to hit a putt with the next shot. It's hard to leave the ball in soft, fluffy sand with a true sand iron, so I continue to include one in my set. As a matter of fact, I've collected a few over the years. My current one is a Ray Cook model that was really inexpensive until I shafted and gripped it to match my irons.

Is there anybody else on the board who bags a special sand club?

I have three shots with each wedge, which covers my distances from 140-ish to 40 yards. Then, I have a variety of shots around the green with my 58 degree wedge. I need to work on more bump and run shots.

One shot with my wedge that I hope to have lost from my repertoire is the shank shot. :ROFLMAO:

I need more wedge shots in the bag. I play a bump and run and small pitches with both the 54/60. And like @vdubtx i have the ultimate 10 footer also even though I practice that weekly lmao!

I can play varying shots with my wedges and full to 1/4 swings. Just take practice. I prefer to use my 50° around the green on chips and can play it high or low.

I rely on three shots, standard chip where I use the bounce, back of my stance for a bump and run, or toe down around the greens for control.

Back