Do you have a "nemesis" hole?

JR

Reaction score
Handicap
At my home course, there is a hole that gets the better of me everytime. It is the first par three, and it features a forced carry over a ravine of around 150. Not to bad right? Nah, except for the fact that if you are even a hair short, you may as well tee another ball up, because you are either never gonna find it, or you will have one of the worst uphill lies on the planet in three inch rough. I am usually short, because it is always the first 7/8 iron I hit of the round.

Any of you got holes at your course that just give you fits?

At my home course, there is a hole that gets the better of me everytime. It is the first par three, and it features a forced carry over a ravine of around 150. Not to bad right? Nah, except for the fact that if you are even a hair short, you may as well tee another ball up, because you are either never gonna find it, or you will have one of the worst uphill lies on the planet in three inch rough. I am usually short, because it is always the first 7/8 iron I hit of the round.

Im slowly developing one

Par 5 number 17, dogleg right

Ive hit driver 2 times in a row, and both times went right down into the trees.

2nd shot has been a punch out towards a sloping fairway, which means my 3rd shot is going to want to go right too.

Shot a 41 on the back last time and had to take a bogey on it, and a double the time before

Next time it will be 3 wood

Yes, our 9th hole at my home course. It is not hard by any means. A simplye 550 yd. par 5 downhill, then uphill, then downhill again to the green. I can never seem to play that hole well.....

Ouch. I know that feeling. On another course, the first hole is a 550 yard double dogleg that will KILL you. It is pure evil!
Im slowly developing one

Par 5 number 17, dogleg right

Ive hit driver 2 times in a row, and both times went right down into the trees.

2nd shot has been a punch out towards a sloping fairway, which means my 3rd shot is going to want to go right too.

Shot a 41 on the back last time and had to take a bogey on it, and a double the time before

Next time it will be 3 wood

I absolutley do. Its a par 3 that plays 205 on average with a very narrow green and bunkers on either side. I probably only hit and hold that green 2-3 times out of every 10 times I play it. So every other time I am either in the bunkers or to the left or right of them and forced to play a very delicate flop shot over the bunker. This hole is offically in my head.

Ouch. I know that feeling. On another course, the first hole is a 550 yard double dogleg that will KILL you. It is pure evil!

Ever heard of a course starting out with back to back opening par 5s? (1&2) And then numberr 3 is a dogleg right where the middle of the fairway is slightly wide with brush on both sides. From the landing area it skinnies down to the green(where oh by the way in the summer the green is as hard as a rock)

any par 3

Funny, because that's the almost the same as my nemesis hole. 155 carry (from the whites) over a 30 foot deep ravine and the green is about 5 feet from the edge. Nothing sticks if it's not solidly on top. You cant see the flag if you're in the ravine. Then, to add a bit of insult to injury, there is a cart path about 5 feet off the back edge that goes down into another ravine and a giant tree to the left of the green. I've parred it once and usually just hope to get it over. Last time out, I hit the green and just about fist pumped a hole to China.

Yes, its the first par 5 on the back 9 at my home course, close to 600 yards, off the tee it dog legs left around 250yards so its just far enough that you cant carry it unless your a big hitter and if your drive is straight you will run through the fairway into the trees, nice baby draw fits this hole perfect off the tee. Second shot is over the creek and its usually around 200+ carry to get over it. This is one of the holes that was the worst affected by the floods last year so the fairway is bumby with allot of bare spots and bad grass, just a really tough hole

Yep although i've birdied them both it has to be either 15 or 16. I think 15th green gets the most sun so it is actually faster than all of the other greens on the course and I keep forgetting. It is so hard to hit a GIR on that hole it is insane.

16 has trees on the right of the tee box off the drive you need to avoid as well the approach is downhill and you need to take more club than usual for some reason. It always looks super close but the approach is longer than you think, and the green has a straight horizontal slope from back to front.

Yup. When I only have a short time to get 9 in I hit a little course down the road. Hole 3 is a short par 4 with a blind uphill tee shot. OB is left with very large oaks on the left and right side. The left trees are massive and over hang the entire left side of the fairway. This pretty much rules out driver as going right of the left trees will put you behind the right trees. Hitting under the trees on the left is bad as well. Leaves you with a short iron to the green. These shots will get tangled in the trees. So, your only tee shot is a low 200 yarder to the right of the overhanging left trees. Too far and you run off into more trees, too short and your 2nd will be blind. Missing the elevated green with your 2nd usually leaves tough chips in either nasty rough or an awkward stance. Several holes on this course require you to look up at where you may think your ball will fly. A perfect straight shot can hit trees that hang over many of the fairways and shots to par 3s. Fun little course actually.

Par 3 4th hole. Has a little pond right in front of the green and slopes towards the pond. Only about 150-160 yards. Miss 10 yards left and your in a big river. Miss 10 yards right and your in a pasture. 10 yards short and your going swimming. 10 yards long and you will have a nasty up hill chip, oh not to mention the giant tree that you will be under. There is a little blue trash can about 20 yards right and for the life of me I could not get away from it for a very long time. It was terrible. Every shot used to go right next to that thing. Its a hole that you better hit the green or within 5 yards or your in big big trouble. I hate it.

Hole number 2 at my home course. 400 yard (from mens tees not the tips) uphill dog leg left par 4. The dog leg slopes off the fairway on both sides. One side is OOB and woods, the other just complete crap. Oh, it gets worse. Sand traps front and back of the green.

If you magically boom a drive that stays on the fairway you're still looking at a 180 yard uphill shot onto a blind green that is only about 10 yards deep at it's deepest point, yet about 25 yards wide. Hole 1 is so easy on the course I almost always start off par. Only to be greeted by a double on the next hole :(

oh I forgot to mention

pretty rare, but holes #9 and #18 at my home course are both par threes.....that might be my true nemesis

Both play near 200 from the tips and longer if windy

Yeah.. I have too many of these holes at my home courses!!

The first would probably be a straight par 5 that has an elevated fairway, that drops around 270 to a downhill fairway. From there, it's either go for it, which is about 245 to the center of the green with a pond in front, or lay up and have a 130 yard shot to get on in three!..

Boy, it's a tempting hole! When I go for it, I usually come up short. When I lay up, its an uphill 130 to a plateau-type green that is a hairy little shot!

A local course I play has a few big pars 5's in the back 9, then in the middle on 16 is a tiny par 3 @ 145yds that just absolutely makes a fool out of me. I shot a 7 on it last week. It's especially demoralizing when I birdied and pared the last two long par 5's.

This the 15th hole at one of my local courses (the one next to the field) it is an elevated tee box with a long and open fairway. It is a Par 5 and the water to the right is not my problem. It is the two trees that protect the approach to the green. It is like football uprights. You want to hit the middle but noooo, the tree magnets will pull the ball to the base usually behind it!!

Does the entire course count?

Seriously, it's gotta be the 4th hole. Not a long par 5, but, for some reason, I either put it in someone's backyard to the right, or, in the creek to the left. I have lost 4 balls off the tee on that hole in one round before. But, I have also piped one right down the center of the fairway, and never found the ball!! Doesn't make sense as the fairway is fairly forgiving if I can find it and has a few smaller bumps and hills in it that if you catch properly, you could get an additional 20 yards out of the shot. I hit one once that I thought was perfect, hit just short of the top of one of these small bumps, bounced and then went to the other side of the bump. "I know exactly where that is" I said to my buddy, and we searched for 5 minutes and never found the stupid ball.

Yes I do, hole 8 is a pretty simple 410 yard par 4, that just bites me in the a#@ every time, I actually par'ed it today bit it is in my head for sure.

Yep although i've birdied them both it has to be either 15 or 16. I think 15th green gets the most sun so it is actually faster than all of the other greens on the course and I keep forgetting. It is so hard to hit a GIR on that hole it is insane.

16 has trees on the right of the tee box off the drive you need to avoid as well the approach is downhill and you need to take more club than usual for some reason. It always looks super close but the approach is longer than you think, and the green has a straight horizontal slope from back to front.

357 Yards
461f8b749e39b.jpg

351 Yards

461f8bc0770fd.jpg

Actually to add onto these two 17 is a beast as well. It is actually like our own Amen corner. 17 is 450 something yards and is basically straight away but the approach is so deadly. In order to get the ball onto this green you have to hit the highest possible ball or you have to hit it 20 yards short and roll it up. The front part of the green and left side immediately bowl hard into the middle with severe slopes. Last year I found myself taking a PW from 157 in order to get the ball high enough to stick the green.

461f8c14c0f2f.jpg

I have two, hole 1 at my home course. It's not hard but I like to make it that way. 350 yards and pretty straight yet it's the only hole on the course I've never had a par on. Pretty sure it's just first hole nerves.
hole01.jpg

The other is the 10th on my home course, the picture says it all...
hole10.jpg

I have 2 holes on my home course. 1st is a par 3 on our desert course, about 170yds, pond on the right, open on the left. The pond used to be covered in reeds and I never hit there, I was always left, they have since cleared reeds out and I can't stay out of it now. Frustrating. The other is a par 5 on our mountain course. Water left the whole way and the fairway is slanted left and shaved the whole length and around the green. I can get the drive down the middle, but the 2nd or 3rd shot seems to always end up in the water. I have just accepted a 6 or 7 as my par on that hole for the rest of my life. :)

The way I play golf, any hole on the course can be my nemesis. I can turn any par 4 into a 10 shot nightmare with little or effort at all.

Back