Do you have a "nemesis" hole?

Yup, Scranton Muni 2nd hole. It seems easy enough. 200 yard par 3. Straight away shot but a narrow green not overly deep, sloped going up front to back, sand bunker on the left. It was nice to birdie it Monday but that was damn near a fluke. The hole just gets in my head and more times than not I strike an ugly 6 iron and leave it short. Plus unless the pin is all the way back a 5 iron is too much. So being between clubs of sorts leaves me with an uncommitted shot.

Dumb question, but can you "play for bogey" and then knock shot #3 stiff? Given your handicap, you've probably got a heck of a short game.

That's how I've usually played the hole. Hit shot #3 from 175ish and try for par but get a bogey.

Not one hole that I can think of. Pretty much all of them.

#11 at the home course Majestic Springs is tough. Par 5, 589 from the tips, plays around 540 most days. Tee box lines you up to hit over the first pond & bridge towards the right into a wooded area that falls away. Typical left to right wind doesn't help. The fairway is elevated and crowned, so anything too long and right gets to the cart path and then the woods where finding the ball can be an adventure. Too much draw or a hook and there is a second pond all down the left side of the fairway. There are a couple of grass bunkers if you hit it long can catch the ball from going into the pond but can be thick to hit out of.

A safe drive usually sets up for a second shot to get you between the 150 and the next bunker starting about 110 out. From there the bunkers run down the right side and are much favorable to the third pond on the left. The left side of the bunker is sort of a false front that leads back to the water. The green is receptive so if you've stuck two decent shots the hole can be had with a two putt. Its sort of a mystery green, the front half breaks more than you would expect. The back half sort of looks rolling but putts are almost always straighter than expected.

Its just a tough hole, even good tee shots end up in uneven lies. The hole arcs to the left the whole way, so the wind that may have helped the first shot ends up hurting the approach which can't be short or left. Birdies are extremely rare, bogeys and worse more common.

#9 at Lane Creek which is actually a fairly easy par five for everyone except me. :banghead: It's like there is a magnet on the left side of the fairway where it's OB. The right side of the fairway is a creek and woods. It's a pretty generous fairway but for some unknown reason I tend to pull it to the left on this hole. I have even used a five iron off the tee on occasion to keep from getting pi**ed off. :angry:

I'll post a new one for Washington...This hole is so easy on paper but it gets me mentally every time. Short par 5 at 500 yards on the card. I have birdied it a few times by not going in two but it is the eagle that I have been chasing forever. Takes a huge cut off the tee to get around the corner and make the second shot short and easy but I can never get it right. I have never birdied when I go in two.

2ep4i1x.jpg

#11 at the home course Majestic Springs is tough. Par 5, 589 from the tips, plays around 540 most days. Tee box lines you up to hit over the first pond & bridge towards the right into a wooded area that falls away. Typical left to right wind doesn't help. The fairway is elevated and crowned, so anything too long and right gets to the cart path and then the woods where finding the ball can be an adventure. Too much draw or a hook and there is a second pond all down the left side of the fairway. There are a couple of grass bunkers if you hit it long can catch the ball from going into the pond but can be thick to hit out of.

A safe drive usually sets up for a second shot to get you between the 150 and the next bunker starting about 110 out. From there the bunkers run down the right side and are much favorable to the third pond on the left. The left side of the bunker is sort of a false front that leads back to the water. The green is receptive so if you've stuck two decent shots the hole can be had with a two putt. Its sort of a mystery green, the front half breaks more than you would expect. The back half sort of looks rolling but putts are almost always straighter than expected.

Its just a tough hole, even good tee shots end up in uneven lies. The hole arcs to the left the whole way, so the wind that may have helped the first shot ends up hurting the approach which can't be short or left. Birdies are extremely rare, bogeys and worse more common.
That hole sounds ridiculous!

Bucks Run, Mt Pleasant MI
#8 is a longish par 3 that is almost all forced carry over water.
The green is shaped around a hill that sometimes comes into play from the left.
So much so in fact there is fairway behind the hole to hit it to in case of a back left pin.

Never shot par on that hole.
Next time for sure!

My new one seems to be #3 Sevierville golf club River course par 5 .Off the tee box I have no problem most times and play my second shot from the center of the fairway , Its forced carry over a jungle of junk at around 220 for me witch is more than I can handle and be playable ,so 90% of the time I'm laying up just short of the junk and it puts me at 140 in for a 3rd shot, which is ok on this hole, however the last 4 rounds I have proceeded to hit more than 2 balls into the junk with a max of 4 balls. I will never lay up again on this hole, its 220ish and hope it clears the junk.

Yes. 1-18 at Grey Hawk in Lagrange, Ohio

Any dogleg right where the turn is more tnan 210 yds out.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

10th hole at my current home course. It's a 380 yard par 4 from the whites which forces you to hit a fade or a perfect shot which I only hit when I don't want to. If you don't fade or stripe it you're in the deep rough and probably the woods.

The 11th hole at my home course. Formerly a long par 4, now a fair par 5. The tee shot feeds to a lake. If you don't reach the lake you are enticed into going for it in 2 from an uneven and downhill lie over the lake. Sand right, water left. Not an easy shot. The green is pretty sloped, no piece of cake. Even when I play it smart and treat it as a 3 shot hole I find a way to eff it up. I hate that hole.

Last edited:
New course I played this week. Lake lure municipal course 9 hole goat track. Nice enough, but #3 is a 260 yard par 4. I know right? SIMPLE. Except....the stupid hole has got to be 800 feet above the tee box. Ok,not 800 feet but it looks like it, and the elevation change is all in the first third of the hole. So at the tee box you're looking at a wall of grass, probably 70' feet straight up. I shot an 11 and I'm sure I missed a couple of penalty strokes in counting my score. My second tee shot (the first was in the woods on the left) went straight into the hill. My 5 iron from there went who knows where, it got worse from that point on. The lie on the side of the hill was steep, I could barely get my right leg (lefty golfer) up high enough, while my left leg is full extended just trying to keep me on the side of the hill

I hate that hole and want to go back and try it again.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

The five holes I tripled Sunday morning. The six holes I pared Sunday will most likely trade spaces with them this Sunday.

any hole that requires teeing off and carrying over water... especially par 3's...

Number 11, a sharp dogleg left par four with a grove of trees left plus trees right and long. My typical 3 hybrid draw leaves me a 200 yard uphill shot to the green from trees. It used to be my favorite hole because a very high drive that carries 250 can go over the grove of trees and leave a wedge to the green. I no longer can hit it that high drive.

#8 at my home course, a 170ish par 3 should not be that difficult but just gives me fits. It's in my head. I probably average a double on it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I have quite a few at my home course, but right now, it would be #3. A 400yd downhill par 4 that is straight and has no trouble if you hit the fairway. There is a fence and street to the right and #4 runs up the left side on the other side of the tree line. I have pretty much given up on hitting driver because I would bomb it over the street and into someone's yard, but that might be a nice change from getting frustrated/embarrassed about not being able to find my ball quickly in the rough on #4.

#16 at a local course. Play it pretty often. It is a short par 3 that I have played at anywhere from 100 yards to 112 yards depending on where the flag is. A little uphill but has some marsh in front but other than that a simple hole. For whatever reason I can never hit a good tee ball on this hole. I think once twice in my life I have not lost a ball off the tee on this hole. Best score has been a bogey once or twice and I just don't understand why. Last round I played there I had 110 left on #15 and stuck it to about 3 feet. # 16 same distance and same club and put 2 straight balls into the trees.

7775078fbe10234932f16d3857ae7648.jpg

Here it is from behind the green looking at the tee

Par 5 6th at North Bellingham.
It's a straightaway par 5 with a massively elevated green, otherwise an easy hole. I always hit my drive left onto a nasty side hill. Then I always recover nicely to a wedge position. Then I ALWAYS miss the dang green and make bogey. Always.
I miss short, I miss long. I just can't figure it out.

8th hole at Green Acres in Balgonie, Saskatchewan. No chance I make this green in two, but you'd think I could make it in three.
Pffffftttt.....
I never had a putt for bogie on this hole, never mind par.
And it's not like it's a super tight hole with nothing but death if you miss the green. It's just a bit long, and slightly uphill.

Par 3 15'th at my home course. 215-245 yards depending on placement of the black tees and pin. I can generally get there with a 4 iron but on days when it plays into the wind it's a nightmare and requires a solid hit with my hybrid.
It plays over a deep gully, is guarded left and right by multiple deep bunkers, is closely mowed short of the green and balls hit short run down a massively steep bank and very often end up in a pot bunker leaving you a 50-60 yard bunker shot.

There's quite a few holes that I play on regularly that I struggle on but many of them I wouldn't classify as "nemesis holes" cause they are just tough holes and I think most people of my skill level will struggle with them. I'm more focused on holes that I should shoot better on than I do. So with that said there is one hole that comes to mind. It's this 475 yard par 5 on my Monday league. There's a creek at like 270 to 280ish so that makes it a little bit more difficult cause you can't just bomb it unless you are a bigger hitter. Regardless though, I generally only have like a 4-5 iron into the green for my second. Despite that, I almost always seem to have to make 6fters for par. I don't get it. Everybody else on my league birdies it all the time, and rightfully so, yet I always struggle to make par. It kills me.

I had a whole writeup to go on my nemesis hole, Hole 17 at Golf Club of Estrella. Played there today and birdied it.

From now on, all holes are my nemesis holes.

Back