Do you have a "nemesis" hole?

At the course closest to my house there's a longer Par 4 with two ponds on the left side and a second shot that's never shorter than 220 or so for me and the carry over the water is about 200ish, I always seem to come up way short or once I layup I can never seem to get my third close, there's quite a bit of a dog leg left as well as a high tee and high green with the fairway quite a bit lower, luckily it's a pretty hole!

#17 Shoal Creek, KC, MO par 3, 198 from the tips, over a ravine and a rock wall. A real ball eater

View from TIps
attachment.php

Overhead
attachment.php

Last edited:
#16 425 yard par4, 90*dogleg left, hill crest 180 out then fairway runs hard left downhill to pond guarding the corner and narrows down to half width if you fly it 230 or so you can land in the fairway beyond the turn but more than likely run into the rough. I can't carry the pond so I've tried everything, play it as a par five by laying up 170 out leaving 240 to the green guarded by traps on both sides and you have to hook it around a huge oak to reach the green or lay up 40 out in a very narrow fairway with water on both sides. Play into right rough off tee leaves you 240 out but your second is lined up with the narrow strip of fairway between the ponds (which can be carried with anything over 180 but the lie in the rough is downhill). The green itself has huge undulations so three puts are common for me. My goal is to bogey but more often I double.

Yesterday I hit the perfect tee shot (first really warm day so I was getting full distance), get to my ball dead center of the fairway and GPS tells me 165 uphill to center, I hit hoping to just get to the front edge, ball lands between bunker and green bounces hard right and rolls out 5 feet under the hole. I get to the green and find my ball right in the valley leading up to the hole, no matter how I hit this it should turn toward the hole. Putting for birdey and it stops inches short but I don't care I tap in for par! :joy:

What course is that, Don?

I noticed the nemesis hole for me on all three courses next to where I live are par 3s. They're not even close to the hardest handicap holes either. They just all seem to be into the wind usually, plus they're small crowned greens.

OOOOOh just found this thread. Par 5 5th hole this year. I have owned this hole my entire life until this year. It's long. It's straight. It's right next to the highway. In my life prior to this year I have lost 2 balls TOTAL ob left into the road. This year I have probably hit a large bucket (maybe 30 balls) ob in that direction. No idea why. In our club championship I hit two in a row over it.... lying 5 on the tee with 540 left is not a good feeling...

#5 at Blair Academy. Dog leg right par 5, and you have to hit it about 310 down a very narrow fairway to reach the corner. I never can, so then I have to cut it a bit with a wedge. That leaves you 150+ to a small green with bunkers on the left and right. It's just a hard hole. Very tempting in a lot of places.

My home course. Tomahawk Hills. 3rd hole Par 3 157 yds. You only have about a 5 yd gap to hit it through unless you feel confident getting over the plethera of trees along the left side. The when you get to the green it slopes down so bad you couldnt stop it with a wall. 95% of the balls that hit the green fall to the front and off the edge. Ive always said its a US Open hole. Good thing its the third hold so plenty of time to make up for this almost guaantedd bogey

Not really a "nemesis" as definition since I have only played it like 4 times, a couple in scrambles and it is just a horrible hole. It is a relatively long par 5 that you have to tee off with a 5 or 4 iron, unless you can hit a controlled slice 30 yards. Shot number two is a hybrid or wood. Finally, if you are lucky enough to avoid the multiple bunkers and the 5 foot deep grass bunker, you have anywhere from an 8 iron to gap wedge. The hole double doglegs first to the right and then to the left. It has a tight fairway as well.

My nemesis hole is a par-4, dog-leg right at Cog Hill. I almost always hit the fairway, but I always struggle with the second shot. I often short-side myself in the green side bunker with a green sloping away, that leads to junk. I am happy with bogey.

par 4 #9 is straight up the hill 452 par 4 and if your drive is good enough then your second is a blind shot to the green, your better off hitting onto the opposite fairway as you can then see the green but then your about 250 to front of the green, i hate that hole i bloody hate it! The other is par 3 #17 is a 222 par 3 with out of bounds down the right, its not the most difficult hole but always seems to crap on my round when i'm playing well!

Any dogleg right. :) I swing from the "wrong" side as some ppl call it.

Kidding aside, my nemesis based on statistics is par 5s. Usually play them around 2 shots over but slowly but surely lowering that average.

I have two. Both happen to be par 5's and I generally play par 5's pretty well, but #1 hole at 498 has ob left and a tree almost dead center of the fairway. Once around that I'm generally faced with close to 250 to the hole, but the fairway narrows down to a neck 60 yard wide. If I go for it and hit center I'm golden, but right or left is into the tree's. I go for it about half the time, great risk/ reward hole.

Then come's #8, Par 5 515 yards. This critter has a dogleg right and then a little left. Ob right down towards the green with lots of smallish humps all the way along. My last time out was the best I've ever played this hole, I had a short chip that just slid by the hole for eagle, had a tap in birdie.

I was 230 here to center of the green, so back flag gave me 245.
001.jpg

Same spot, just zoomed in. Brought out the TM Supermomma 2.0 3w and what a flight. The ball had just a trace of fade at the very end, hit the green and curled around the flag ending up just on the apron back.
002-3.jpg

Here's where we found my Penta, lol. Too bad my chip didn't drop.
003-2.jpg

Every one of my usual playing buddies hates this hole....as do I.
Par 5 double dogleg; first left, then right. Problem is, the entire fairway, all 500yds of it, lean left into the woods, IF you're lucky enough to draw one around a tight corner, it'll keep going down the hill into the left rough (well, at least half the time, sometimes the grass will catch it). If you straight-shot it, or slice it, you're looking at an approach over 100ft pines.
IF you get the clean approach shot, the entire left side is death. It's a giant hole with really long grass. Right is usually burned grass and dirt. You'll either par this baby, or get at least a double.
Nemesis.jpg

I've actually named the holes on my course, and number 11 is Nemesis. A 355 yard par 4, dogleg left (from the tee, cannot see the tree to the immediate right of the green). Severely tree lined. To have a shot at the green, you need to hit at least 180 yards, but there is only about a 30 yard landing strip there, and if you want to have a wedge in, you have to hit a good right to left shot, into about a 20 yard landing area. Really not overly hard, but a bad tee shot and you'll be thrilled with bogey. 5 yards of the fairway and you have no shot at the green; 10 yards off and you have no choice but to go sideways or backward. Plus the green has deep bunkers surrounding it, is steeply sloped, and has trouble behind it. 2 good shots and par is given; 1 bad shot and double is a good result.

I have two. Both happen to be par 5's and I generally play par 5's pretty well, but #1 hole at 498 has ob left and a tree almost dead center of the fairway. Once around that I'm generally faced with close to 250 to the hole, but the fairway narrows down to a neck 60 yard wide. If I go for it and hit center I'm golden, but right or left is into the tree's. I go for it about half the time, great risk/ reward hole.

You wouldn't like the 9th on my course. Short par 5 at only about 480, but OB left, trees right, an apple tree jutting out into the right side of the fairway about 250 off the tee, and then a giant weeping willow in the middle of the fairway 80 yards from the green. Have to hit it very high to get over in 2, and if you try to roll under, there is only about a 10 yard opening with deep bunkers on both sides. I love the hole, but only if you hit a good drive; otherwise you just have to play for par.

#15 at my home course. It doesnt have any major difficulty to it. I just always seem to have trouble with it. I hate hate hate that hole, but I will birdie it.....one day. Then I will laugh in its face.

You wouldn't like the 9th on my course. Short par 5 at only about 480, but OB left, trees right, an apple tree jutting out into the right side of the fairway about 250 off the tee, and then a giant weeping willow in the middle of the fairway 80 yards from the green. Have to hit it very high to get over in 2, and if you try to roll under, there is only about a 10 yard opening with deep bunkers on both sides. I love the hole, but only if you hit a good drive; otherwise you just have to play for par.

Wow, sounds tough. I actually like holes like this, they don't just follow a stamp. Laying up gives a pretty easy par, or go for it and you get anywhere from birdie to who know's, lol.

170 yard Par 3. Green is 20x25 but downhill and kidney shaped with a trap on the curved aside the length of it that's 3 feet deep.

It shouldn't be that tough, I have never hit that GIR since I've been keeping tabs on golfshot. 40 rounds there.

I think it's beyond mental now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At my home course we have a 197 yard par 3 that has a deep very contoured elevated green. Not a single sand bunker...it has 4 grass bunkers two on each side with very steep slopes from the green that funnel into these ball eating pits of despair:at-wits-end:

This hole is somehow always cross wind and because the green is elevated those grass bunkers are friggin ball magnets!!

Bermuda rough about 6-8 inches thick at the very bottom...if you hit it in the bottom you almost have to step on your ball to find it. My buddy this weekend went in the front right one...airmailed the green with his pitch into the back left and then back again into the front right...they really suck.

#5 at ASU Karsten (the round killer)...used to be a par 5 now its a 4. About 500 yards with a very narrow fairway. Trees on the left and a huge waste sand area on the right. If you are lucky enough to find the fairway and not filter off it or into one of the 2 bunkers then you are left with a long layup shot because the green is hidden by a 10 foot ridge with sand and grass bunkers behind it. Its also nearly impossible to stick the green from that far because of how narrow it is from the angle. It is the only hole on the course I have not been able to birdie. I usually try to play it with a safe drive in the fairway, then I layup to get a view of the green, chip on and one putt for par.

screenshot20110926at114.png

I have 4 holes on my home course that don't do it for me.

#8 - A short uphill Par 4 of 264 yards to a well protected an elevated green, nothing hard it just messes my brain, anything short gets gathered by a deep bunker and anything long leaves a tough chip to a green running away from you into a deep bunker, the way to play really should be full 6 iron and full wedge but because it's short I play hybrid and a little pitch it's just that I sometimes I under commit to the wedge and miss the green somewhere. I really should listen to my own advice and play it with full shots.

#10 - Uphill relatively short Par 4 of 320 with trees and OB on the right, it doesn't suit my eye at all but I generally play it ok but hate it with a passion.

#12 - Long Par 4 of 460 yards with a blind second into a 2 tiered green and almost always into the wind, a good drive and good 3 wood into the wind normally is just short. This hole always relies on 2 sunday best shots to give a chance for Par, the hole is what it is and all the members accept par is as good as birdie anywhere else.

#13 - Strong Par 4 of just over 400 yards with a blind tee shot onto a left to right sloping fairway, again it doesn't suit my eye or natural left to right fade.

If I play all these holes combined in no more than 2 over I always have a good round generally.

Back