Do you have an Albatross?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
So, I almost dunked my second shot into a 520 yard Par 5 yesterday, landed quite literally two inches past the cup, it’s the closest I’ve been.

How many of you have an albatross? What was the situation?

None here. That had to be a rush though, getting that close!

Not here. I’ve never been really close either.

I do not. I've come real close on long approach on par 5's like that some, and have a thing about tapping the pin on them, but my only hole outs from big distance have been on par 4's. I came up about 6" short on a par 4 off the tee early this year, but I can't imagine it ever actually happening. I only know two guys that have one and there were some fairly fluke elements to both of theirs. I'm not really concerned if I ever get a hole in one, but I would freak the eff out over an Albatross. I have dreams about one of those.

No albatross for me. In addition, its been forever since I made an eagle. Way, way to long.

• Staff
None here. That had to be a rush though, getting that close!
The irony was, it wasn’t a great swing and I one armed the finish. Then it started tracking :ROFLMAO:

Made a couple eagles this year and hit the pin on the roll on my second into a Par 5 just last week. That’s the closest I’ve ever been to an Albatross! Don’t foresee myself getting one honestly, my hole outs usually come chipping. Have only holed out from deep once

Fun question: what if the albatross club was only open to members who have had an albatross? I’d assume we’d have the same 5 guys at every experience :ROFLMAO:

It’s been awhile since I was even on in 2 on a par 5.. but no.

I have one that happened back in 1982. I was using a Wilson Pro Staff permission Driver and 2 wood on a 500+ yard par 5.
My playing partner scoffed at me for trying to hit the 2 wood off the deck. When it went in I think he was more excited about it than I was.
Best thing about an Albatross is, he was the one buying the drinks at the 19th hole.:drinks:IScreenshot_20170419-070908.png

Last edited:
2 feet is the closest I’ve come. I was about 240 out and absolutely skulled a 3W. I didn’t think there was any way it would reach but it rolled by on the low side.

Nope, closest has been 3' away on a par 5. Elevated green so really couldn't see how close it was. Almost missed that putt for the eagle too!

Had to get the juices flowin for ya, awesome shot!

Last edited:
I have one on a par 5. Happened several decades ago. (1980s)

The short par 5 had a dog leg left, which I flew (cut) the ball over, leaving me a long 3W into the green. Iirc, back then my 3W was good for around 230 yards.

I put a full swing, plus into that 3W, and simply got lucky, giving me 3 under for that hole.

The idea of cutting over the dog leg that day was was on a whim. The next few times I played that hole, cutting the dog leg, I never reached the fairway again. Close once, or twice, but nothing I could reach the green with.

I came pretty close once. This is shocking since I only have one lifetime eagle, and I'm in general not very good. I had a long but sliced drive and ended up cutting the corner (unintentionally) into an open area between holes. Then my second shot (3W) hit the green and bounced off the pin. Of course it then deflected off the green so I chipped on and 3 putted for bogey.

Nope, come close a couple times but have never had an Albatross. Eagle is the best I've ever carded.

Nope

The closest I’ve been on either a par 5 in 2 or a drivable par 4 is 15’

Nope, not had one here, only had a few eagles

Closest I have been is about 4ft short of the hole on a drivable par 4

I don't and I've never witnessed one either. Almost on both counts. A guy I often team up with in 2 man tournaments made one last fall. We were supposed to be teammates that day but I had to drop out, concussion. It was his only albatross and he'd never seen one either and he's 73, played most of his life as a plus and still plays off a legit 3. I came real close a couple times on par fives. Closest one (5 years ago?) caught some hole and spun out eight feet to the left, clearly too much speed. Nice eagle though. During my last round I hit a 5W into a back pin that had to have been very close for a split second based on the pitch mark and where the ball ended up on the back fringe. Ball only released 15 feet and pitch was 3 feet short, dead online. Parred it like a boss😢 Overcooked the short eagle chutt and missed the comebacker too.:beat-up:

I’ve never had one nor come close at all; would be fun to see (and even more to get) one day!

When I first joined THP I noticed a lot of people in The Albatross Club and thought to myself “geez, these guys can really play if all of them have an Albatross to their name”. I, like others, have come close but have never finished the deal.

When I first joined THP I noticed a lot of people in The Albatross Club and thought to myself “geez, these guys can really play if all of them have an Albatross to their name”. I, like others, have come close but have never finished the deal.
Haha, this is AWESOME.

Nope, don’t have one either. Closest was about 2 feet short.

No but thought I did, hit the pins from miles and miles on a par 5 looked lit it went in but had rolled around to 6 inches.

Never have but twice very nearly....a par 5 with ball a couple inches to side and once hit the flag on roll on par 4 and ball stopped a few feet away.

Back