Do you have an off-season?

I don’t really have much of an off-season here in Southern AZ. Today was 81° and no wind. I try to get out at least 2 times a week. There are 5 public course within 10miles. The only problem is the rates go up 2-3X for a round til mid March and the pace of play/backed up holes.

If I can get out I will, but it is very weather dependant

If I can't get out to play, but still drive, I will head to my instructor who has a couple of indoor sims that people can hire for practice or play, or if it is warm enough I have a range about 5mins along the road from me

Yup, usually mid November-April is my off season. I fill the time by watching sports, catching up on reading and watching shows and playing video games.

I most definitely have an off season here in northern NJ. However, the course where I work as a starter, ranger, opens if the weather permits. Last Sunday, I was the starter in 23* weather, little wind. Several golfers including ONE IN SHORTS! Cart path only for the rest of the year and first of next year so they'll get a little workout walking from cart to ball. LOL!

I don't have an off season, but I for sure have a slow down season and it's just beginning. I'll still get out occasionally, but my once a week becomes once a month and the game is taken a lot less seriously until spring arrives

Up here where I live in Canada our offseason is between 5-6 months depending on spring rain. This year the snow came early so season was done around the first of November and we'll be lucky to be on the course April 1st. Last year start was an end of April start as we had so much rain in April, none of the courses were open.

During offseason, I usually spend the remainder of the year really just recuperating and this year have started back into yoga as the last 2 season's injuries prevented me. The remainder of my free time is just closing up the gardens and getting the yard equipment put to bed for winter. Once the new year rolls around, I plan to get back on the swing speed training (I do inside). I am going to try as well this winter to work on shortening my backswing as I have gotten very John Daly-ish over the past few years and I believe this contributes to some dispersion issues. Also, with multiple tears in my left shoulder and a torn bike tendon in my left arm this summer, I want to ease the load I am putting on my left side. I have tried to shorten swing and works in a practice swing but when you put a ball down, my muscle memory takes over. I am hoping I can re-train the backswing muscles.

The big thing this time of year is the impact of standard time on practice. I really wish they just stuck to the daylight time, because going home in the dark limits practice to a lighted range.

Officially in North Texas we have no "off season". Rounds must be posted year 'round. However, my game sure has an off season as cold temps and being layered up seem to affect my game negatively. Then there is the fact that our greens are dormant and with the amount of traffic they get they probably stimp 13+ with no flat spots on any green to be found. Finally, the fact that the wind shifts from being predominantly from the South to coming from the North and the course then plays so much differently and contrary to the way it was probably designed lengthwise. My handicap usually goes up by 2-3 strokes.

No off-season here in So Cal. It might get “cold” at least compared to what we are used to. Cold here is 50’s, maybe 40’s during a harsh storm which is once a year, and maybe rain. In those conditions, no way I’m going to play.
I have come to realize I do need to work out since I’m getting older, mid 40’s. I am starting to do yoga and use the gym. Next step is to put together an actual work out plan, maybe have a personal trainer set me up with specific exercises.

November to mid march. I have a Golf sim and we get together for rounds on the weekend. Wives make snacks and we drink beer. Much fun!

It’s like 25f here today. So, yeah I have an off season.

Basically from mid November until April it will be no golf outside of sims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And if so what do you do to keep yourself occupied?

I’m pretty lucky in that I can play Year round here and rarely even have to deal with sub 50 degrees beyond 9 am. So that said I will play thru the winter months. However I’m also taking advantage of the early dark hours to get in better shape. For us 50 plus folks that becomes important for many reasons.
I also have a hitting net at home so I can work on some things when I may not have time to drive to the range.

Not really no. I will use the gym more often, and my facility has heated bays so I can hit balls all winter (and the bays were just equipped with TopTracer, so I can also play virtual golf during a practice session). If there is no snow on the ground there is always a course that is open somewhere in the vicinity.

The wife and I play year round. There are some days we can't play such as next week. Calling for some snow and temps in the low 20's to 4o*. Seldom have much snow and when we do it goes away in a day or two.

December 24th thru December 25.

Pretty much here already. I skied for the first time today. I go to the gym and am going to try to get to a simulator some this winter in addition to skiing.

I typically play by the 70-10 plus rules.

Minimum of 70 degrees
Maximum of 10 mph wind
Plus the grass has to be green

I might waiver a little this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My off season typically last 6 months from October to April. But I try to play on random warm days that may pop up throughout the off season.

Same here. I usually can squeeze 2 "winter rules rounds" somewhere between end of October and beginning of April but otherwise it's just swinging clubs in the house, much to the dismay of my wife. Well, all I can say is that I tried to solve the problem by building the indoor sim setup but NOOOOOOOOOOOO she's worried about money and bills and something called "work". I just think she's a crazy lady but she's the only one I got so I guess I gotta keep her.

Live in CT. I’ll play outside if near 40 degrees or more. Played the last two Sundays but ongoing it is always dictated by the weather. When the snow comes, I go to heated bays at outdoor range and to indoor one for simulator.

I don’t play as much for sure Jan-Mar as I switch to a different hobby. Still get in one round each month and some practice though. 69F80736-D2FF-45B7-A666-33F72A307B76.jpeg

Depends on the winter weather up north here. Our winters are so up and down temp wise now that I try to play at least one round each month of the year. I am heading out to day for a round. Supposed to be back up to 47 today. We also have a place here in town that has four sims so that makes it nice to be indoors swinging the clubs.

Haven’t before, but the incessant rain in England this year is forcing me to have an off season. It‘s been so muddy recently that my course has been closed more days than it’s been open.

I live in Minnesota. You betcha there's an off season. I don't go south for the winter so my last round of the season is usually around Halloween and my first round in the new year is usually in April. I bought an Opti-Shot and I have a heated garage so I'm hoping to hit a few into a net after the New Year.

Back