Do You Have Any Questions About Club Refinishing/Restoration? - I've Got Answers

Start with something like 1500 and do passes to see if you get any decent results. You can go lower if you feel like you're not getting anywhere, but again be careful not to remove more than you need to.

I use grits all the way down to 120, but I definitely wouldn't start anywhere near there.

Be mindful of the contours of the club and try to follow them so that you're not ruining edges and things.

For paintfill, I like Tamiya acrylics.

That is nasty. You can try to grind it out but you'll change the shape and weight of the head in the process. Better off welding the gap and then grinding it back into shape.
What minimal equipment would I need to welding the gap and grinding back into shape? All I have is a grinder and a high heat propane torch. But no real welding equipment.

What minimal equipment would I need to welding the gap and grinding back into shape? All I have is a grinder and a high heat propane torch. But no real welding equipment.
You'll definitely need a welder of some sort. The fact that you're not trying to weld anything together, and with a gap that small, you can probably get away with a spot welder. welding is something I know very little about as the only thing I would ever use it for is to fill holes on golf clubs. You might take the head with you to a fabrication shop (or to anywhere that specializes in selling the kind of equip) and ask someone what they would recommend for the job.

oh here it is.. :banghead:

This was a send over from his original post, what above groove sharpening, hints, tips, tricks, tools etc?
I've always just used a groove sharpening tool that they sell in just about every golf shop. They come in 5 or 6 shapes (in one tool.) It's pretty simple.

I've always just used a groove sharpening tool that they sell in just about every golf shop. They come in 5 or 6 shapes (in one tool.) It's pretty simple.
I have one as well, played with each blade to see which one felt like it was making some difference.

@Space Bandito sure wished I would of remembered you did this. I had some wedges I gave as a gift to someone and was wanting to do something with them

What would you do with a putter that is far too reflective in the sun? Speaking of the Indi Allison mallet putter with satin chrome finish.

What would you do with a putter that is far too reflective in the sun? Speaking of the Indi Allison mallet putter with satin chrome finish.
I would hit it with a glass bead blast. It will deflect the light. If you don't have a sand blaster, you should try going at it with a scotch brite pad or some steel wool. It wil take a lot of hand work, but it will get the job done.

I would hit it with a glass bead blast. It will deflect the light. If you don't have a sand blaster, you should try going at it with a scotch brite pad or some steel wool. It wil take a lot of hand work, but it will get the job done.

No sand blaster but do have scotch brite wheel that attaches to a drill. If/when I decide to do it, I will PM you with some questions before I blindly screw it up.

Back