Do you hit more fairways or more greens?

Chef23

2023 Srixon Experience
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have been keeping stats for the first time this year. I have found that I hit more fairways than I do greens. Here are my basic stats:

Avg Score: 78.8
FWY %: 64.3%
GIR %: 44.44%
Putts: 31.4
Save %: 44%

I am not real happy with my GIR. My home course probably makes things tougher because a few things. I frequently play the back tees and have fairway woods into greens. There are times when I deliberately play short because long is bad. Finally it is usually quite windy which just makes everything harder. Of my approach shot misses 24% are short, 18% are left and 7% each right and long.

I just did some segmentation on my scores and my GIR at home is 36.3% and on the road it is 60%. Scoring average is 80.3 at home and 76.9 on the road. Putts and save percentage are very similar. My course is definitely harder than courses on the road. That said I also feel like I need to commit to middle of the green at home, pick a club and make a committed swing. I think I am second guessing things.

Do you know what your issues are and do you have plans on how to address them?

Fairways pretty much every single round

According to my GHIN stats for all rounds so far in 2021, I’m averaging 35% GIR and 49% fairways hit.

Greens, hit fairways are celebrated but greens from jail are much more common place.

Fairways by a mile. I miss greens on 10yd chips

It is SHOCKINGLY similar for me. I just did it over the last year and a half not long ago, and they were like .3% different. Blew my mind. So I've kind of been checking in on it since, and they just seem to be right about in line. Maybe a few more fairway points lately.

I know you've said your home track is pretty tough @Chef23 , but that's a pretty big GIR split home and away. I'd be curious what a dedicated effort for middle of the green for a bit would get you there. My home club in Nebraska had small greens, but I definitely fell victim to comfortability and pin hunting there, and my stats and scores showed it when I looked hard enough.

@OldandStiff at my home course from the back tees depending on the wind I can have a fairway wood in my hands on 5 holes plus one of the par 3s is 240 yards and one of the others is a 5 wood or maybe a 3 wood also depending on wind. On those holes I am just trying to get near the green and try and get it up and down.

I was surprised by the difference between fairways and greens. I am going to start to focus on more into the middle at home and see how it goes.

I am on the road in a member guest this weekend so we will see how it translates.

I want to say fairways.

I can't seem to bring up the stat values in Arccos, but according to my personal bests I was 8/14 fairways and 9/18 greens. According to the data, I miss the fairway right almost as much as I find it, and that's an accomplishment for a lefty:ROFLMAO:

42% FIR, 15% GIR

What’s a fairway?

Fairways for sure. I used to be a really solid ball striker but I've lost is the past couple years.

I'm at 44% overall for FWY%, and 31% GIR for this year on Arccos.

I'm going to check my stats and compare overall the last 2 years. Be curious to see which way I'm trending.

Since 2016
FIR: 43.0%
GIR: 8.9%

I’d think on average it would be fairway for most. My game is a mess off the tee and I seem to thrive scrambling so right now it’s greens. I think I swing better when I have no expectations.

Fairways, and likely by a significant amount.

fairways. per grint 58% fir, 44% gir. feels higher for gir, but the numbers don’t lie.

I used to hit more greens than fairways, but now it's quite the opposite. Seems like I can't hit a green from the fringe these days, despite my tee game being the best it's ever been.

I'm not sure. I would venture to say they are about equal. If my course didn't have small greens, the GIR would be higher than the FIR. But then again, the fairway width is not overall generous also on the majority of the holes.

Fairways - 62%
Greens - 30%

Fairways by a large margin.

I hit more fairways than greens and miss greens from the fairway all of the time. When I do hit more greens, it is because I have a poor day of driving more than me having a great days on approach. My last 50 rounds I am 57% fairways versus 39% greens.

More fairways easily; i'm getting 76% FIR and only 31% GIR. My inability to hit greens is really holding me back from improving my game (lower my avg score).

Reactions: Ooo
Does the fairway on the adjacent hole count?

Greens for sure. I’m bad off the tee :LOL: 38% FIR to 48% GIR

Last edited:
Just looked at stats and it's fairways for me by quite a bit.

Back