Do you keep the same shaft when upgrading?

Cjgolf25

Reaction score
Handicap
I know it's never a good thing to compare what the pros do but its no secret that most of them tend to stay in the same shafts when they upgrade their equipment. When they do make a shaft change, golf nerds like us start talking about why, especially when they have been in the same shaft for a while.

I have been playing my KBS C-Taper Lites 110 for almost 5 years now and loved them. I was fitted into the shaft with my then Bridgestone J15DF and the pair works great for me. So much so when I did a wedge fitting about a year ago, some more C-Taper Lites made their way into my bag. Due to an unforeseen circumstance that involves my wife accidentally hitting my golf bag while backing out the garage, two of my shafts where bent badly (5 and 6 iron). I took this as sign, it was time for new irons. Went to my local shop, the same ones that did the fitting for my Bridgestone, and got fitted into Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal. I had assumed that I was probably going to be fitted into a different shaft, mainly because of the difference in iron heads. Low and behold, He threw in the C-Taper Lites and to my shock, the numbers were better than I could imagine. Launch angle and spin were on point, which again was a bit shocking to me. Now I'm glad because I don't have to worry about switching out my wedges but it got me thinking; If you do a proper fitting and you play well with a certain shaft, why make the change to another shaft when switching clubs? Are you just looking to try something new for the sake of trying something new?

For the most part I've stuck with the same shaft I was fit for a few years ago. I really want to do an in depth fitting again soon to see if there are better options for my swing these days.

Could care less about what the pros use. I go with what performs at my fittings.

Could care less about what the pros use. I go with what performs at my fittings.
I wasn't referring to specifically what they are playing, more the concept of them not switching out shafts when they move into new equipment.

If they maintain their swing speed, that makes sense. Otherwise, they are missing out on a possible improvement.

I think it depends on the type of club head you are moving from and to. Some heads produce more or less spin comparatively and you may find that your preferred shaft in one club head doesn’t always translate.
This is why a fitting is the ideal route.

I think it depends on the type of club head you are moving from and to. Some heads produce more or less spin comparatively and you may find that your preferred shaft in one club head doesn’t always translate.
This is why a fitting is the ideal route.
Yeah that was my thinking to, I assumed going to a slightly bigger head my shaft would have changed.

Unless I was fit into something that provided better results why change.

Previously I went with what was on the club. I have learned a lot of shafts on this site.
I have been fit into a yellow HAZRDUS and when I hit it - I love It! But the over the tips kill me

Back