Do You Know How to Sew?

I can sew on a button, poorly I’ll admit and a hand see a minor flaw as long as looks don’t matter but that is about it. My wife has 3 different machines so she is the wizard. Putting them to good use now making masks and gowns for the local medical community.

I have no idea how but I've thought about trying to learn to start making headcovers or things like that. It could be a fun little side hobby.

I love all the Home Ec involved answers, that class taught all kinds of useful stuff. Sadly, today the teachers will scream at you when you call it that, it’s now FACS (family and consumer science). They get legit twisted over that :oops:

I can use a needle and thread to fix the smallest of things but a sewing machine or different types of stitches? No clue.

I have no idea how but I've thought about trying to learn to start making headcovers or things like that. It could be a fun little side hobby.
Seeing what some of them go for... might be a good idea if you can find a niche area.(y)

Reactions: KEV
I love all the Home Ec involved answers, that class taught all kinds of useful stuff. Sadly, today the teachers will scream at you when you call it that, it’s now FACS (family and consumer science). They get legit twisted over that :oops:
Really? How is Home Economics even mildly offensive? I've always took the name of the class to mean techniques for the home so you can be self reliant.

Well, the sewing machine is going to come out of the box one day this week. Now that I've finally kicked my mother-in-law out, I can free up some space in the guest bedroom to set it up.

I do not know how to sew. JB got me a sewing machine a few years ago, but it's just collecting dust somewhere. It's just not something I have ever had any interest in.

What was he trying to tell you with such a gift?

He genuinely believed I would like it because I like projects, I like seeing something created from start to finish. Unfortunately, sewing to me seems like you need some form of creativity and I do not have that. I like puzzles, but sewing just never did it for me.

He genuinely believed I would like it because I like projects, I like seeing something created from start to finish. Unfortunately, sewing to me seems like you need some form of creativity and I do not have that. I like puzzles, but sewing just never did it for me.
Makes sense. I have no idea if I'm going to enjoy this, but will all this free time - why not?

Really? How is Home Economics even mildly offensive? I've always took the name of the class to mean techniques for the home so you can be self reliant.
As it’s been yelled at me, they believe the connotation is one of women should be at home taking care of the household.

I know, I know, I’m just telling you what I’ve been yelled at about.

Back in the dark ages when I went to high school every senior had to take Household Mechanics (for girls) or Domestic Mechanics (for boys).
We girls learned how to change the oil in a car, rewire a lamp, fix a leaky toilet and replace a door knob among other house fixes.
The boys were taught how to cook a casserole, iron a shirt, sew on buttons, mend socks(does anyone do this anymore?) and do laundry, I'm sure there were more items on the boys list too.

I can sew. My mother taught me when I was a pre-teen. I can sew manually or with a machine. My Wife has a sewing room with about 4 or 5 machines, including regular sewing machines, a computerized embroidery machine, and a serger (you want to talk about learning how to thread a machine, learn to thread a serger). She also has nearly 1/4 of our basement dedicated to her long arm quilting machine. She has a couple of older, heavy-duty machines as well, one from each of her grandmothers, the kind that swing up out of its own cabinet.

We had to make our own duffel bag for a project in Home Economics back in high school and we actually used a sewing machine to do it. Turned out pretty cool and I used the bag a lot. The teacher also taught us the basics with a needle and thread so when a button comes off, I can handle it. That basic skill has come in handy every once in a while over the years. If you sat me down at a sewing machine today, I would have no clue what to do. As for creating your own virus mask, my wife and I talked about making basic ones to go the store, etc.. but I bought a 4 pack of the cloth ones online from a Dallas based store last night so I guess I won't be using that sewing skill after all.

I have used a sewing machine in the past, but it has been several years.

I was chatting with my wife yesterday about the CDC recommendation to wear masks when in public, and my mother-in-law butted in (as she often does) about how people are making their own at home.

I brushed her off, simply stating that I don't know how to sew.

Then it hit me: I own a sewing machine! I bought a embroidery sewing machine about 3 or 4 years ago when I had an idea to make custom yardage book covers. I never even took it out of the box. It's been sitting in a closet ever since it was delivered.

Now I'm thinking this may be a good time to learn some basic stuff.

So, do you know how to use one of these contraptions? Do you have any tips?

Back