Do you know your carry distances?

jdtox

Team Paradise Captain
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
In my mind carry distance is more important than anything especially with irons. With technology like Arccos I think you can get a better idea but if you don't use something like this how do you find out or know your carry distance? Is it something you've ever thought about or are you more a its 170 I'm hitting a 7i or whatever you think you hit about 170 yds.

OldandStiff

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
It's a big key to good game and course management. And it involves data. I've been known to obsess about look at a little of that. So yes, I am aware of the carries.

I don't really even look at totals with irons, but with driver that's a completely different story. Carry matters a little more here, but not near as much in NE, and unless there's a forced carry, the total (actual, not monitor) is all I really care about with that.

McLovin

feelz good 2 b a Gsta
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
i have an idea what they are on good shots

Tevenor

The 2021 Grandaddy!
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
7ish
Yup. Have to. Totals have a whole lot of other impacts: firmness of ground, length of grass, angle of the ground where you land, rough vs fairway, etc. Carry its about you, ball and maybe the wind. Go with what you can control to play better golf.

RealPretendPsychic

2021 Grandaddy - Team THP
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Yes. I have been keeping track of carry stats on SkyTrak. Important data!

PKorf

"The Pin Slayer"
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
0-10
yes i do.

BlueHen2006

Team THP #Grandaddy2018
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have a pretty good idea for most clubs.

Parrot

The lower the latitude, the better the attirude.
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Through trial and error, and now Arccos, I have a good working knowledge of what my carries are. Prior to having Arccos, after the round, I'd sometimes make notes in my golf journal about decently struck shots that came up short or went long. And at times, when the course is slow, I'll hit a couple of balls from varying yardages to better trust what my carries are with full, 3/4 or half swings.

NVGOLFER80

Only the Strong.
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I am close. I need to dial them in. It is a difficult process though.

MarMill

#Paradise2020
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8-9
Arccos has definitely helped in that regard. So for the most part, yes.

Scott F

Starting Over
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
I used to. Then I got new irons later in the season. I know I hit these farther than my old clubs but it was so windy every time I used them I couldn’t get accurate, repeatable numbers. Then, right before the season ended, I made an adjustment to my swing that has added swing speed and changed things again. I don’t have access to a Trackman or Quad so I have to figure it out on the course. Come spring, I’m going to have to start figuring it out all over again.

DG_1234

Reaction score
Handicap
In my mind carry distance is more important than anything especially with irons. With technology like Arccos I think you can get a better idea but if you don't use something like this how do you find out or know your carry distance? Is it something you've ever thought about or are you more a its 170 I'm hitting a 7i or whatever you think you hit about 170 yds.
I think the best way to know carry distances is by measuring same with a laser, while on a golf course, level terrain hole (s), no wind.

PapaJohick

#ShortKnockerBombs
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Thankfully I love going to hit new equipment. The place I go to has gcquad in their bays. Over the past year I’ve been able to see my carry numbers on good/mediocre/bad shots.

I know my carry with almost all my irons and driver within 5 or so yards.

the only clubs I don’t know legit carry is my 3 wood (need to figure that out) and my wedges gap and down (that’s because I’ve never done a true wedge fitting one, but also I don’t use those for full shots).

this year I want to see what my 3 wood does but more importantly I need to see what my carry is with my gap-60 on “full” shots, 3/4, and 1/2 shots so I can make better decisions inside 130 yards.

PapaJohick

#ShortKnockerBombs
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I think the best way to know carry distances is by measuring same with a laser, while on a golf course, level terrain hole (s), no wind.
that’s so hard to do though.Maybe I’m just not great at it haha but so many variables in the wild.

I really want to hit from an indoor bay tooutside range with quad to eliminate some of those. That’s a pipe dream though. Need your status or a ton of money afford my own gcquad.

Chef23

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I know my carry distances pretty well. I tend to be fairly conservative on carry distances so if I need to carry a hazard I am comfortable with that.

Muchmore18

Truly Thankful Member of the 2021 Grandaddy
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Yep. I know carry of all my irons and wedges within five-ish yards. Woods are a different story. No idea on the carry, just total distance. I don’t play courses with forced carry off the tee so I’ve never though too much about it

chefkritter

I’m a Dr. of all things unimportant
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I know carry distances on solid shots, though confidence in distances is a little shakey with lack of playing. If I were to play this week I would take 5-7 yards off the carry distances just to try to compensate for swing mistakes.

Stemmy66

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Thanks to tools like Arccos I've gotten to the point where I know carry distance on solid shots, fat shots and thin shots alike... :oops: I've gotten in a habit the past couple years of clubbing up, based on solid contact carry and choking down slightly to cover distance intended.... doesn't help fat or thin shots but great results with decent to great contact

ToddJ027b

Morgan Cup, Team Paradise 2020
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I do for the most part on my home course. But it's more of a range. When I go to other courses, I have to adjust for elevation, temperature, wind, etc.... I wish I was more dialed in, but I think I'd have to break down for a launch monitor to be more sure. Arccos helps for sure, but again, that gives me a range.

DataDude

That's Just Like Your Opinion Man
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I think I do, but probably not as well as I should. I am really excited about Arcoss with my Cobra setup.

Tywithay

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
Not consistently. I can hit my 8i 130 yards, or 170 yards. It's typically somewhere in the middle, though.

millsan1

Strike Hard. Strike Fast. Hit long. CobraKai
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have a pretty good idea for all of my clubs.

I use my sim to get them, then confirm on the course or range.

Biggest thing for me is being honest about them. I use my 80% of the time range. Not my 1% of the time, pured, smoked range.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in