Do you know your carry distances?

I have a rough idea, but my lack of consistency makes it iffy to count on.

I know my stock carry distances and alter them depending on the shot, terrain, wind etc.
In the colder weather I usually club up as a result of extra layers and heavier air

I go to a Trackman one to two times a year to hit stock shots and get the report on all my distances. When I am buying irons, the number one characteristic I look for is ALWAYS repeatable distances. I hit a lot of balls in a year at my club. I always laser distances to pins on the driving range and select a club to get me to it.
I hit plenty of bad shots some days, but I know where my shots are going to land distance wise for the most part with both bad and good contact.
Now with the driver, my course is tight with almost all tree lined fairways. So my driving distance is too often decide by how far the ball goes before it hits one of those huge oaks :)

Arccos has helped me a lot with understanding how far I am really hitting my approach shots. I think I have a pretty solid understanding of my carry distances, assuming I'm striking the ball decent. Biggest problem for me continues to be poor contact that leaves me short of the green, more often than not.

Have to be honest I'm a little surprised that so many people know this. 🤷‍♂️
I am too, but then I realized that it's THP.

I'm in the "target" group of your original question as I have zero idea how far I carry any iron. As a result, I routinely watch a well struck shot that is tracking directly at the pin land 10 yards short of the green in the water hazard. It's really deflating after you've done the club twirl and everything else while the ball was in the air :mad:

Honestly this is the number one component of my game that I want to change in 2021; I don't have access to an LM so I keep circling back to something like Arccos. My concern however is that it can only give me total yardage, which I already have a fairly good understanding of. I also want to try and elevate my shot height so that my carry is closer to my total on approach shots.

Back