Do you know your carry distances?

I know mine. I usually hit the SHOT button on my Bushnell Phantom GPS after solid shots, walk to my ball, and get my yardages that way. Pretty easy to see the ball mark on greens. I them update them on a card I carry in my pocket if I notice them changing.

I know all my distances since I have a LM. On the course I’m more concerned about front edge back edge distances than I am about the pin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I think I have a good idea on the general carry distance. If I had the equipment to dial myself in even better, I think I could be a scratch golfer.

Have to be honest I'm a little surprised that so many people know this. 🤷‍♂️

I've known mine pretty closely since I was 15 and exactly since 1994 when I got my first rangefinder from Nikon. On each hole, I still enjoy lasering things other than the flagsticks such as bunker lips, front of greens, ball washer back by the tee box, etc. Some of my buddies would say that I'm overzealous with my rangefinder use, and I always reply that I need something to do while waiting for them. ;)

Yes I do! And with my wedges try to keep my full, 3/4, and half shot distances.

I don't have exact yardages, but I know my windows and what I should hit to a certain distance or what I need to clear something.

Absolutely not. I feel good with my 7 iron from 150-160 out (total distance) and pitching wedge from 115-125. I base my iron choice around those two.

I have no clue for driver, utility iron, or hybrids.

I pretty much know my average carry distances, but that's with no wind, flat ground and from the fairway.

Haven't used any stat tracking software/clubs, but yes I know my carry numbers. Practicing a lot on trackman range has helped that a ton the last few years.

Sort of, yes.

With my last irons I used Golfx (or whatever it's called) and used the GPS on that app to step off how far I hit my driver. 200 yards or just a tad bit over on a dry level fairway.
My PW went about 100 yards. Each club up was an additional 10 yards. Give or take.

Now? I have no clue. My new irons I think might go further than my last ones... I can't tell yet.

The driving range I go to has different colored flags but I don't know what they mean and I haven't bothered to ask.

Since I retired I play a lot of golf so it is y to know my distances. Unfortunately as I get older I sometimes shudder at how much that has changed for the worse. Even with stronger lofts in todays equipment to just gets shorter with every club.

definitely not consistent enough. this is meaningful data that would be beneficial.

that’s so hard to do though.Maybe I’m just not great at it haha but so many variables in the wild.

If you have laser simply take note of your carry distances while playing flat terrain holes with no wind. For approaches ball marks to a green are a definitive point. For longer clubs from a tee box fairway bunkers or other points of reference may be use. Within a few rounds of golf accurate carry distances for driver thru wedge are known.

Yes, I know my carry distances, or at least the range of carry distances per club. My swing isn't perfect, so some shots carry further than others.

That said, I realized how important it was pretty quickly when I started traveling to play other courses, and you are faced with a shot that has some sort of 'forced carry' element. If you don't know whether the club in your hand is going to carry or not, it's going to be a bad day.

~Rock

Before my lessons and swing changes these last few weeks I knew my carry to within a couple yards on good strikes and I knew what my usual miss is so if I had to carry water, I'd know to pick the club where my typical bad strike can still get over. Apart from obvious tops and horrible swings.

Yes, and they make me sad.:cautious:
I'm kidding. I find knowing my consistent distances to be more important than being the longest hitter.

I have no idea what irons I’m even playing in 2021 so I’ll go with no. One set has a 27* 5i. Another has a 21* 5i. :oops:

So I guess it’s fitting that I’m not 100% at this point. I’m not good enough to tell you each clubs exact distance and there are too many variables anyways. So “x” club I’ll have a range that I’ve assigned to it, say 170-175 carry (if I do my job) and then adjust based on elevation, wind, etc.

I’ll have it figured out once I have a good range session on grass. I’m leaning strongly one way right now but that was based on one good Trackman session. I know basically how far they carry based on that, but I’m also in offseason swing mode so it’ll change some from that too.

I know my ranges. Since I'm old and inconsistent, they will never be exact.

Yes. I am not super comfortable with anything over 150-160 if I am having to clear water. Honestly if I have a 160 carry which should be my 6 iron I use my 5iron and just go long. and if it is 170 I use my 5h and just go long. Anything longer than 175-180 I will layup.

Pretty solid idea throughout and touch shots with wedges for different desired shots. Desired mind you, not always the outcome.

I knew a few years ago pretty well. Have not been to the range much the last few years. Of course its tough on the range at my local course because the have a hodge podge of balls.
I usually an pretty good about club selection and having a good idea of how long each club carries is a part of that. Of course, elevation, wind, desired landing/finishing spot all add in to the selection.

I have a good idea of carry, as most of my shots don’t get much rollout it typically is close to my total distance for each club too

Yes, I even have a printed card with my carry yardages on my bag, but I pretty much know them anyway.

Back