• Yes

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 42.1%

• Total voters

MSB256

Reaction score
Handicap
A bunker in the middle of the green. A cave bunker in the middle of a fairway. What are your thoughts?

6 at Riviera - bunker in the middle of the green
16 at TPC San Antonio (Valero Texas Open) - bunker in the middle of the green
El Camaleon (Mayakoba Classic) Cave Bunker

Interestingly enough, it appears Greg Norman was the designer for TCP San Antonio and El Camaleon.

I personally don't consider 17 at Sawgrass gimmicky given that if you hit a good shot, you're fine. I think gimmicky is when you hit the middle of a green or fairway and you're in a bunker.

Last edited:
Sometimes I do... it can break the monotony of a course otherwise.

It can be fun to watch the pros play them. I don't like them when I'm playing though.

An occasional quirky/gimmicky hole is fun to watch, but I wouldn't want to see a whole course set up like that. It would be like watching a giant game of silly miniature golf. Hit the ball through the windmill, into the dragon's open mouth, over the footbridge crossing a stream.....

I don't like gimmicky holes in general. I've played that stupid hole at TPC SA several times, and hated every minute of it. So, no, it brings me no pleasure to watch the pros subjected to them either.

I voted "no" but it's more personal than a tour thing.

Having a putter in hand with a bunker in the way of you and the hole seems very silly to me. At least on tour they are good enough where if they miss that bad, it's on them. For us average golfers, a miss like that isn't exactly a 'bad' shot.

What drives me nuts is trees in the middle of the fairway. I absolutely HATE a tree in the middle of the fairway haha

I'm ok with really challenging holes, but not ones that penalize good shots for instance you hit 6" from pin and end up with the ball rolling off the green in the water.

Having a putter in hand with a bunker in the way of you and the hole seems very silly to me. At least on tour they are good enough where if they miss that bad, it's on them. For us average golfers, a miss like that isn't exactly a 'bad' shot.

What drives me nuts is trees in the middle of the fairway. I absolutely HATE a tree in the middle of the fairway haha
I enjoy seeing the pros use their skills and creativity, whether it's being accurate enough to avoid those tricky shots or pulling the shots off when they can't avoid them. Seeing a wizard like Phil hit those kind of shots is fun and pretty freaking magical. But since I have neither the skills nor creativity to pull them off, I don't want any part of it when I'm playing. I've played a few courses that punish anything less than an absolutely perfect shot, and it's pretty frustrating and demoralizing when you're a guy who doesn't hit an awful lot of absolutely perfect shots! :LOL:

Trees in the middle of a fairway suck. I'm not a good shot shaper, so chances are good that I won't like the outcome.

Probably should play out here then. There's an ordinance that forbids the cutting or removal of oak trees (unless they're ill.) Lots of really stupid holes with trees blocking shots.

Oh you don't like being punished for a good shot? Now you know how I feel

You aren’t an average golfer!

I love Riviera so by default I’m voting in favor of any holes it has.

What was the designer thinking when they chose to say "oh, don't cut that tree down - it's in a perfect spot". A golfer will hit 99% of their shots with either a fade or a draw, which would 100% of the time get them around said obstacle. Put the actual obstacle there - dreaded straight ball, every. single. time. It just makes no sense to me.

I don’t understand the need for a bunker in the middle of the green...they make putt putt courses for those types of obstacles.

Someone quit letting the average joe design courses. Lol!

I take the attitude that gimmicks are part of the game. Designers are human and they make errors. They had a bunker in green at Doonbeg. Norman design. He speaks of it being his crowning achievement in the design area....Trump buys the place brings in Martin Hawtree and pooof...Bunker is gone from middle of green. Course climbs rating lists...
Alternatively, If I find myself on green on other side of bunker from hole....My lob is coming out and a divot is a very real possibility.

I love a split fairway and a gimmick here and there aren't too bad. I'll take a gimmick over an angled fairway with the ball way above or below your feet any day.

A lot of tour courses have trees in the middle of the fairway and yes I do not like it

10 TPC River Highlands and is it 13 at TPC Louisiana?

Not a fan. I am ok with some visual misdirection. But something like a bunker in the middle of the green or anything like that is dumb.

Back