Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I've battled this question endlessly with myself over the last five years.

I know the MOI benefits of a mallet putter are massive. There is actually tech in there to support a golfer when making a less than stellar putt. I've bounced around between a handful of them and simply cannot land on one that provides a greater benefit than my blade gamer.

Have you tried it?
Are you a convert or did it fall short?

What got you over the hump?

As I've aged the speed control got to be more difficult with a blade, switched complete about 6 years ago and haven't looked back.

LONG time mallet guy. But this winter on our slick dormant greens, I've switched to my heavier Scotty Squareback.

Liking it, plan to stick with it for a while.

I’ve been using a mallet putter for a handful of years. For my game it gives me better chances distance control is easier as well

As I've aged the speed control got to be more difficult with a blade, switched complete about 6 years ago and haven't looked back.
Man, I feel like it's almost the opposite for me. My speed control is outstanding with a blade, and I feel like more putts drop with it as well.

I switched to mallet from PN blade and it took me a full out SAMM lab putter fitting in order to trust the results I saw. Since then I haven’t looked back....

For me, I would prefer a blade but I am a mallet better.

I've lightly tested some and never liked them. Then I bought a mid mallet that's as close to a fit as there is for me to try to ease myself into the idea because "everyone should be using a mallet. Moi MOI!!"

And I made sure to give it a real shot.

I've recently traded it in towards a Mavrik.

So no. I don't think I mallet, and I'm more than okay with that right now.

And I don't know wtf you guys are talking about with distance control. lol It's in advertisements too!
Worst lag putting I've ever done. I kinda think you're all insane or part of a sales conspiracy, honestly. You have to be, because otherwise it's me, and that's just not possible. :unsure:

I have been a mallet guy for a long time. Use to use a Scotty Cameron blade with custom weights. Very good putter, but I learned to control my distances better with a mallet style putter.

I tried in the past, but just couldn't get comfortable with one, but also didn't feel entirely comfortable with a blade either, so I tried the Odyssey O-works #1W and have been very happy with that

May well give mallets a try again with some of the new models, but for now I don't mallet

I’ve tried to mallet but I can’t seem to get it to stick. Mid mallet, sure, or blade. I just seem to make more with a blade

Always used a blade-style putter, but recently got a Bettinardi BB56. This is an awesome mallet, and the first that I ever found to be better for me (much improved distance control),

I mallet so hard. Face balanced and with an enormous sightline.

I’ve long been a malleter. No desire to change for me. Comfort plays a huge part in putting, and for someone that defines a miss with their driver swing in micrometers....I doubt you’re missing by much with a putter, so is there going to be much benefit for you switching?

I've battled this question endlessly with myself over the last five years.

I know the MOI benefits of a mallet putter are massive. There is actually tech in there to support a golfer when making a less than stellar putt. I've bounced around between a handful of them and simply cannot land on one that provides a greater benefit than my blade gamer.

Have you tried it?
Are you a convert or did it fall short?

What got you over the hump?
So I have used Mallets pretty much my whole life. I had a Taylormade blade putter at one time and couldn't putt worth a flip with it. After that I went back to Mallets. Then I got a Scotty Newport M2 which was an in between. Putted well with it and had it leading up to the 2018 Grandaddy. Got fit into a DoubleWide at the Grandaddy and love it. Right now I have the 10 in my bag and love it as well, but all that said. I will probably never go anything less than the DoubleWide. Just no confidence standing over the ball and it just feels like the head is too light, at least for me. I am more confident with a mid to full mallet. Plus, @Luke WilliamsCG says use a mallet anyways. Right? ???

I have used many a mallet....then I bought a Scotty Newport Stainless 1.5 and never looked back. I have made more putts in the last year and speed control went through the roof

I used a mallet when I was playing 4-5 years ago, but when returning I busted out a Scotty Cameron Blade and have been using that for the past 5 months or so. Had finally gotten to where distance control was good, but my aim was less than stellar. I was recently fitted into a Spider X and my aim has gotten better, but am now struggling with distance control. I've only been playing/practicing with it for a couple of weeks so it needs some time I guess.

I have an Odyssey 7 that I like. However I keep going back to the blade. I don’t see a difference in my scoring with one of the other and my eye prefers the blade.

I have used since at least 2005 with a few short escapades with a blade putter. I really like long lines that help me line up putts.

The only mallet I've been successful with is the Odyssey #7. All others lose to the blade so far.

I absolutely SHOULD mallet, but I just can’t bring myself to do it full time. Too many beautiful putters.:(

Just got a small mallet in the mail Saturday. Time will tell.

I’ve been a mallet guy almost exclusively for the last 7 years. This year I want something bladey to look down at.

Back