Do you need to keep improving to enjoy golf?

No, I don't need to improve to enjoy golf. Playing better may make golf more enjoyable but I don't necessarily have to improve to enjoy golf. I just want to play. When I returned to golf in 2016 after a 7 year period where I only played once a year in a scramble, I approached it with a mindset that I was going to enjoy playing regardless of how I played.

Yes. I work hard on my game, especially my short game. One of the reasons I keep a HI is to see how I am doing overall. If I am going to do something, I would like to do it well, and in golf there is always something that can be improved, which is why this game will always be a journey, and not a destination.

I haven't improved in the last 32 years and still love the game.

Since I'm just coming up on one year back in the game, I'm very much in a phase of improvement. Seeing small incremental improvements does provide a level of joy in my golf game. I do not think I've reached the peak of my golf ability. The drive to learn about my swing and improve my ability is important to me. Next month I embark on a new set of challenges....I joined a golf league.

I'm in sticker shock at my first official handicap......17.4. That is based on one round of golf. So it should go up a bit. My 20 round scoring average is 96.8......But this will definitely open my eyes to competitive golf. Even if that competition is for bragging rights with my friends.

At one time, improving my golf game was a fun priority. Not much anymore.

These days all I try to do is slow down the deterioration of my game by staying active with it.

I kind of like enjoying the fruits of my previous labor as far as my golf game is concerned.

Nope! Not a bit for me. Once I stopped taking myself so seriously on the course it become much more enjoyable despite higher scores. I’m focusing on keeping that mentality even as I try to practice and play more this year.

Simple question: Do you need to keep improving (or keep trying to improve) to enjoy golf?
I suppose the answer might depend on how I am playing on a given day :cool:

I do like to work on my game though and at least see some level of improvement if nothing else recognizing my weaknesses and minimizing them as much as possible.

No I dont, however going backwards does increase suck factor.

I don't think you do, but for some I believe it matters.
I can have bad days on the course and still have fun with the guys/gals I play with.
At this point in my golfing ability I am still at a point where I want to get better.

I enjoy working on the game. Could I enjoy it knowing I will never get better. Yes. I love the activity and the traits of this hobby.

I do need to improve. On the other hand my BIL doesnt care or attempt to get better, he’s just happy to be out on the course

Yes and no. I'm very competitive, even if just with myself, so I'm always trying to get a little better. But I enjoy the game no matter what.

I enjoy working on the game. Could I enjoy it knowing I will never get better. Yes. I love the activity and the traits of this hobby.
My brother from another mother.

I sure hope so. I’m putting more thought into how I can enjoy this game at the crappy current level because significant improvement isn’t in my future. So far so good.

I enjoy the game, playing, AND practicing it. It soothes me. I am not a driven, Type A guy, but I revel in a good shot, and get vexed at a bad one. I am improving, and will take that. I'll not be a scratch player, but have modest goals that will make me happy.

Yes,

I'm still rather early in my development though - so I suspect that need to improve may ebb and flow at times down the road.
I can still enjoy the day when I shoot above my handicap but I have an urge to "fix" whatever went wrong that day.

I don't need to, but I have noticed my expectations have changed.
At one point, I was happy to break 100.
Now I feel I've had the worst round of the year if I shoot over 90. But I will still have fun.
I expect to shoot 70's to like 83. Anything more I feel I never shot very well.

My goal is to drop my HCP a few points this year and to shoot under par on my home course (shot +1 last week). So I imagine my expectations will change again if I succeed and improve a bit more. I hope :unsure:

Right now, yes. Because I know I can be more consistent, and I thoroughly enjoy the challenge. It doesn’t need to be leaps and bounds, but so long as I’m seeing improvement in some manner.

Not necessarily, but there are so many endless levels to a golf game. Improvement can be found just about anywhere.

I can enjoy it way more when I actually see improvement I’ve made but it’s not the end all be all. As long as I’m with good company, that’s the most enjoyable thing for me.

Now if I’m by myself and I’m playing poorly, my enjoyment may change😂

I don't think I necessarily need to improve. Frankly I haven't improved in over 10 years but I don't play as much as I used to. I do want to play well for the amount I am playing. I am not expecting to play the way I played 10 years ago but I want to play solid golf realizing I am going to hit a few loose shots and my short game isn't what it used to be.

Not permanently. But I did / do need to improve to enjoy it. I almost reached a 20 index last month and it was truly miserable. If it wasn’t for the fact that golf was the only activity we could do during the C19 SIP I really may have hung up the clubs. It was that bad. I’m currently in a zone where I’m still doing some stupid stuff but I’m doing enough other stuff well that it’s fun again.

Back