Do you need to keep improving to enjoy golf?

Apparently not. Lately, I suck, but I keep going back.

I already enjoy golf and, I know having only played going on my 2nd year, I will continue to get better. So, the question is moot for me. 😎

Not permanently. But I did / do need to improve to enjoy it. I almost reached a 20 index last month and it was truly miserable. If it wasn’t for the fact that golf was the only activity we could do during the C19 SIP I really may have hung up the clubs. It was that bad. I’m currently in a zone where I’m still doing some stupid stuff but I’m doing enough other stuff well that it’s fun again.

I feel you on this, i had a similar experience.

Not permanently. But I did / do need to improve to enjoy it. I almost reached a 20 index last month and it was truly miserable. If it wasn’t for the fact that golf was the only activity we could do during the C19 SIP I really may have hung up the clubs. It was that bad. I’m currently in a zone where I’m still doing some stupid stuff but I’m doing enough other stuff well that it’s fun again.
This is basically how I feel sometimes. I'm not at a 20 yet, but I'm trending that way if I don't snap out of it.

For me yes to an extent. I fluctuate between a 9-12 handicap. I’ve only broken 80 four times. If I could get to a point where I can shoot in the 70’s on a semi normal basis I wouldn’t feel the need to improve anymore and still have loads of fun. I’d like to be able to compete with a scrath golfer on his worst day if I have my best day. However, I’ve been in a place before where I was satisfied to just break 90 and I told myself at the time that’s all I ever wanted. so I understand it’s easy for me to say that I would finally be satisfied if I was slightly better, but I feel like this is different because i think I know that I won’t ever be a scratch golfer lol. I guess I’ll never know til I actually improve 😂😂

I've dropped from a 6 to an 11 hdcp over the past 5 years or so. Just don't get to play or practice much. Still love it every time I get out. Even more so maybe because I don't get out as often.

At 68 I have accepted the fact that physiology dictates what I am able to do with a golf club and that has been shaped by life experience. I try to remain fit but am not obsessed with it. That being said on any given hole I am capable of posting a bird or getting a bird flipped to me by poor swings. There is still a part of my 30 YO self that would love a scratch round. All things considered I am able to play with my seniors group every week without embarrassing myself too badly and hit enough "golf shots" to be considered an asset in competition with a high HC and the ability to pull a birdie out of my whatever on the holes where I get 2 strokes.
The best part is it's all about fun and keeping active doing something I can enjoy most days.

I enjoy reading the diverse perspectives. I don't think I can detach trying to improve (which can mean many things) from my enjoyment of golf. Trying is the key for me. I don't expect or have to play better, but the "hunt" is a core part of my enjoyment.

I had a friend who lived in a remote area in the Bearthtooth mountains. He loved skiing (backcountry cross country) and every year set a goal to ski to the top of Mt. Republic. In his 80s he would note his surprise that his times weren't getting faster: "you would think doing this all the time I would get faster." Loved that guy.

My answer is no. I just enjoy playing. Obviously playing good golf is more enjoyable, but I'll never take it for granted now that I have kids and have less free time to play.

I'm out to enjoy the day, and some banter among friends. Golf is just one vehicle to do that

Last edited:
yes and no?
i think a lot of us hit a plateau and then its like this is what it is, obviously ill never be a pro but i continue to strive to get better everyday therefore i do enjoy golf more. i mean i dont want to get worse it would be hard to enjoy it then wouldnt it? another component to this is im competitive so grinding in enjoyable when you see positive results.

Yes, I do. I don't need to become a scratch golfer and don't expect to be one. Unless I win the lotto sometime soon I just don't see a world where I can devote that much time. But I am putting in work and want to get to a low teen digit handicap. I have those goals because I like to challenge myself with a goal. I also am not comfortable going out as a single and getting paired with someone who is really good. I feel like I ruin their rounds. I don't mind it if I am playing with someone but not alone.

I know I'm never going to be a scratch golfer or even close, but getting better at certain shots while playing does help enjoy the game more. I love just to get out & play even if it's a bad round, there is always that 1 shot/hole that keeps me playing. Working on just breaking 100 for now & once I get there I will work on 90 & so forth. I don't want to loose the enjoyment of the game. Do I get frustrated of course I do, but that is what makes this game so challenging.

I don't necessarily have to improve but if I go backward I'll enjoy it less.

No, thank God. At 72 my game is "treading water," and probably on a slight decline. I still enjoy playing.

Yes. I am at a frustrating place with my short game and it is truly hurting my enjoyment of the game at the moment, but I will overcome it eventually.

I believe that I do need to keep improving. I know personally when I have a great round, I'm texting my foursome right after trying to set up another round of golf because I just want to keep my momentum going. When I have a bad round, I just want to hit the range so that I can get a bit more confidence back and try to figure out what was going wrong. So, for me specifically, yes I need to improve to keep going with golf.

I dont think so. Many people enjoy golf and never break 100. IMO, sometimes that constant need to improve can make golf less enjoyable.

I don't need to but I would prefer to! My coal is to get to scratch at some point. Lowest I got to last year was a 2.9. Maybe if I get all new clubs to go along with my new SM8's that I will be getting will get me there.:ROFLMAO:

For me, right now as a whole, yes. I'm still newish to the game and a very competitive person. My season goal is to drop from an 17 HC to a 12 this year and last week I was at a 13.5. So when its moving in the wrong direction its pretty disheartening. That being said I don't anticipate it always being as important to me and I definitely have rounds where i'm more focused on enjoying the day or the company than my score.

I'm just having fun, but I do enjoy learning things that can make my game better. I enjoy going to the range to see how much difference a full swing, half swing and quarter swing makes on my shots. Going to the ladies clinics here are a great way to be able to socialize during this mess we are in, and I usually pick up a pointer or two. Even if I never got any better than I am now I think I would enjoy the game.

Not for me. I could continue to play the way I am right now and keep returning to the course. Now, the constant goal of improving on my score is what keeps me coming back. Always trying to strive for a better score is part of what makes the game so fun for me.

Back