Do you older golfers practice increasing swing speed, or simply let it ride?

I had the same thing happen. I was using some speed sticks and in trying so hard to build speed, I lost the feeling of where my hands needed to be at impact and found myself lost and frustrated with a long period of heel strikes and even the dreaded sh__ks. I figured it out after almost a year of struggles, but you raise a really good point and it is a cautionary tale.
Interesting. I wonder how this affected you and why. I wonder if a different type of aid would not have had the same affect. I was thinking the other day there may be a compromise point where one cannot match speed with solid ball strike. I do think one has to use caution.

It is not so much at all about the back swing for me that really affects my swing speed - not sure why so many instructors are sold on this back swing thing. Most instruction on back swing has not benefited my swing speed. Different strokes for different folks (pun intended) :cool:

What say ye?

For consistently good distance I don't think swing speed is as important as swing technique (making solid-square contact with the ball).
Competent instructors should focus on address technique, because that is what promotes a fundamentally sound backs wing (which naturally creates an effective and sound down swing).

Last edited:
I don't really think much about swing speed per se. For me it's more about swinging the clubhead, not my arms, if that makes any sense.

I've never really been able to try and swing faster and pull it off, even when I was much younger. My longest drives were always a result of a long smooth swing.

Can't speak for all the older golfers, but for me, regular practice, and play is just a way to help maintain what I already have.

As we get older, we slow down. Some slow down quicker than others. By consistent practice, and play I can slow down the deterioration in my long game swing.

I have lost some swing speed, but I have also picked up more accuracy off the tee, and approach shots. I don't have to search for balls much any more after an errant shot. That said, I'd rather have the lost distance back.
I think there is a plateau for most of us, it is just at different speeds that each of us can maintain. I play with two guys younger than I but neither of them can reach the swing speeds I can with the driver which is weird. They are at least 5-10 mph slower. I think it is simply that they have not figured out how to make the velocity happen at the right place in their swings with their drivers. It is no doubt to me they are stronger and capable of swinging much faster than I can.

I think there is a plateau for most of us, it is just at different speeds that each of us can maintain. I play with two guys younger than I but neither of them can reach the swing speeds I can with the driver which is weird. They are at least 5-10 mph slower. I think it is simply that they have not figured out how to make the velocity happen at the right place in their swings with their drivers. It is no doubt to me they are stronger and capable of swinging much faster than I can.

Clearly it is not all about swing speed. I was on the TrackMan practicing last weekend. I was seeing my usual approximately 98 to 101 club speed and 148 to 150ish ball speed with driver. My coach quietly motioned me to look discretely at another person swinging in a different bay. His ball speed was 160-ish, but his drives were barely going further than mine, due to his AoA and spin. His point was noted, but man, I wish I could still generate that ball speed.

I'm approaching 65:cry: Even back in my athletic prime I was a short knocker but measuring swing speed wasn't really a thing back then so I have no idea just how slow? I stepped away from golf for almost 20 years and returned at almost 59 years old. Golf was all about numbers and science when I came back, just so awesome! Because of tech advancements I was at least as long as during my best days even though I was probably even slower. Found THP right away and learned how woefully slow I really was from answers in the many equipment review sign up threads. So over the next few years I focused on building my speed, mostly working on hand/wrist/forearm strength and I added >20% to mine. The added distance made a huge difference on the course. Golf is so much more fun now. I worked at it and measured my progress a few times a week for a few years. Speed gains came quicker at first and the rate of change eventually leveled off and became much slower, but even 62 and 63 I was still trending up. Ultimately I backed off because I want to golf for as long as I can and pushing things was leading to more and more frequent nagging injuries. No longer trending up, I'm OK being down 2-3 mph from a couple years ago.

I'll be fifty in November... 50. :eek:Give me a second. I need to accept this.

I can't say that I've lost any swing speed... I don't think I ever had it. I've never been able to drive the ball much past 200 yards on even my best day and that's what it still seems to go now. I'm just hoping when I play the fairways are hard as concrete and I get good bounces.:D

I just hit 50 and I am not trying to work on swing speed per see but overall strength. I feel like staying strong and flexible will be the way to go for me as I get older.

I've been practicing on a simulator and I think swing speed is a bit overrated. It's more important to have the ball speed/swing speed ratio as high as you can get it which comes more from timing and hitting the ball flush.

I don't think I'm old at 32 but I swing like a grandpa, with no shame. Could I add some more SS? Sure perhaps, everyone can. Do I want to? Not if it means swinging fast because I know exactly what happens when I step on a shot or swing hard, not good things. Have I read about SuperSpeed to increase swing speed? Yes. Do I think I will be disciplined enough to use it nightly or whatever? Nah I don't care.

I know when I swing slow/controlled I hit the ball high and relatively far I guess. No my 7iron isn't going 175 but I don't care. It's cool that some people can hit their 7i 200 yards but that's my 4H or 3H, and I've learned to accept that and be content with it. I refuse to overswing.

The older I get and whenever I need to get off the stiff shaft to graphite or regular/senior flex then I'll cross that bridge then.

Let it ride!

Once my lower back heals, i will start the speed work.

I wouldn't say I'm obsessed (others may disagree), but I do address this in every way possible for both better overall health and optimum swing speed. Specifically...
  • Work out in the gym with combinations of flexibility and strength exercises of all the major muscle groups.
  • Have a personal launch monitor and do speed training and measurement at the practice range once every couple weeks.
  • I've dropped 25 pounds and have maintained my optimal weight for 2-3 years now.
  • Nutrition is another key component.
  • I walk and carry my bag whenever possible.
  • Average 3x a week practicing for 90 minutes to keep all aspects of the game working.

Interesting topic and very timely. I adjusted my 10.5 M6 driver with less loft -0.75 (1 notch lower) and am hitting the ball straighter and with longer rollout. I am now averaging 250 yards vs 230. I also adjusted my swing slightly and practice with a Wilson Ultra BLK (swing fan), so my swing speed may also be up. Additionally, my 18 hole scores have now lowered to 100ish pretty consistently. Much better than the 110ish from when I started last year. I love this game, but it is challenging.

Interesting topic and very timely. I adjusted my 10.5 M6 driver with less loft -0.75 (1 notch lower) and am hitting the ball straighter and with longer rollout. I am now averaging 250 yards vs 230. I also adjusted my swing slightly and practice with a Wilson Ultra BLK (swing fan), so my swing speed may also be up. Additionally, my 18 hole scores have now lowered to 100ish pretty consistently. Much better than the 110ish from when I started last year. I love this game, but it is challenging.
That is great improvement in your driver yards. Is that carry or total? I know that is exciting, at least it would be for me.

10-15 yards more on my carry can make a huge difference in my game. I used to hit around 185-200, but now I am hitting around 210-240 carry (when I hit solid). My average is probably around 210. I am hitting better than I ever for my age.

I have gotten my driver swing speed into the low to mid 90s now with the occasional high 90s. I hope to be in the steady mid 90s by spring. I have hit over a 100 a few times, but that is really swinging out my shoes.

That is great improvement in your driver yards. Is that carry or total? I know that is exciting, at least it would be for me.

10-15 yards more on my carry can make a huge difference in my game. I used to hit around 185-200, but now I am hitting around 210-240 carry (when I hit solid). My average is probably around 210. I am hitting better than I ever for my age.

I have gotten my driver swing speed into the low to mid 90s now with the occasional high 90s. I hope to be in the steady mid 90s by spring. I have hit over a 100 a few times, but that is really swinging out my shoes.
Totally with rollout, which is kind of cheating, but it works for me. Instead of high with little rollout, I now hit it mid with good rollout. Not sure how I will fair when the ground is moist, but it was in the 70s this week, so things dried out.

I’ll be 63 in another couple months so I fit into the demographics of this topic. I don’t know my swing speed currently and the last time I was on a Flightscope was 2 years ago.

What I do know is that last spring (January-March) I worked with the Swing Speed training clubs roughly 3X per week for probably 10-15 minutes per session and I was longer than almost all the regular guys I play with (approx 20) with the exception of a few young bucks 20-30 years younger. I do not go to the gym ever but do walk between 20-30 miles per week either on treadmill or outdoors during the winter months. As well, I walk 99% of my 100+ rounds each season (6 months). I think cardio is important.

I found that in 2019 my distance increased on average, a little bit (5-10 yds) and I did have my longest drives ever on certain holes on my home course. My experience with the SS training clubs was not to swing out of my shoes performing the swings rather stay in balance 100% of the time. I did not take that same swing in terms of “swing as fast as you can” to the golf course, rather just focused on keeping in balance. I realize at some time the old body will begin to slow down but don’t mind a couple hours a week to help maintain speed.

Now avoiding Injuries with age is another subject....bah humbug!

Back