Do you play a standard lentgh driver or shorter?

dwal64

Reaction score
Handicap
My first post on here and if it has been approached already I apologize. I am a double digit handicapper, 55 years old with a slower swing speed. According to several articles I have read it is said to get better distance and straighter ball flight I should be using a shorter length driver. Opinions on this, comments or first hand experience would be great! I am currently using my faithful Burner 09 driver regular flex, standard length. Looking to purchase a new driver this year.

I play my driver at 44.5" and really like it that length. I've found it's slightly easier to find the face, and have had good experience playing it that way.

A shorter driver will provide some accuracy, but the extra length is proven to help with distance off the tee.

drivers have crept into the 45 1/2 range and for me that was too long. I think you have to try and get it so you can test out some various lengths and find your sweet spot. When I did that I found 44 3/4 was my sweet spot.

also welcome to THP and hopefully you dive right into the conversations.

I have played mine at 44.5” for a few years. I may try 44.75-45” on my next driver.

1/2" longer than standard. As per my fitting. I'm 6-2"

Surprisingly, when manufacturers release “Tour” models, they are usually 1/2 to 1 inch shorter than the ‘standard’ model released to public. Pros can generate the club head speed with a shorter shaft. Regular Joe’s want distance, and length is key for the slower swinger- and the manufacturer’s know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to THP!

Considering most drivers these days come stock at about 45.5", I play mine slightly shorter at 45". Have tried 44.5" but it just didn't really work for me.

Welcome! It is such a personal thing, that it makes it hard to give a blanket recommendation. The drivers are so forgiving now and you will see a huge difference from yours. Given your moderate swing speed, I would suggest looking more towards a higher lofted driver, maybe in the 12 degree range and keeping the length standard. You might appreciate the extra 5 to 10 yards, presuming you can make similar strikes. The old standby suggestion of getting a fitting or at least hitting some drivers in the store would tell you at least how you do with standard length. Good luck and let us know what direction you go.

I played my driver(s) about 1” short for about 3-4 years and I actually found I gained distance as I was contacting center of the face more often. My current driver is standard length though as I an hit/control it pretty good so no need to cut down.

I played my driver(s) about 1” short for about 3-4 years and I actually found I gained distance as I was contacting center of the face more often. My current driver is standard length though as I an hit/control it pretty good so no need to cut down.

This certainly can be true for many. I don’t find center face contact any better with a shorter driver than I do with standard length.

Welcome! It is such a personal thing, that it makes it hard to give a blanket recommendation. The drivers are so forgiving now and you will see a huge difference from yours. Given your moderate swing speed, I would suggest looking more towards a higher lofted driver, maybe in the 12 degree range and keeping the length standard. You might appreciate the extra 5 to 10 yards, presuming you can make similar strikes. The old standby suggestion of getting a fitting or at least hitting some drivers in the store would tell you at least how you do with standard length. Good luck and let us know what direction you go.
:welcome:
As @Tenputt has said, the newer technology will make a difference. At 56 and playing the game for less than 2 years going from a older RBZ 2 Tour to my current JPX900 both at 45 inches was a big improvement. I also found setting my driver at °10 1\2 has helped me with both distance and dispersion. Go hit as many choices as you can and if you have a location where you can get fit go for it. That's my next step, getting fit for clubs.

I played my Epic Flash at stock length for a little while 45.5”. Had quite a few mishit duffs which is rare for me. So I Tried 44.5” and 45” and ended up at 45”. 44.5” seemed to launch too low for me.
45” is a happy medium of accuracy and distance for me.

A shorter driver will provide some accuracy, but the extra length is proven to help with distance off the tee.

drivers have crept into the 45 1/2 range and for me that was too long. I think you have to try and get it so you can test out some various lengths and find your sweet spot. When I did that I found 44 3/4 was my sweet spot.

also welcome to THP and hopefully you dive right into the conversations.
Thanks! I have found some of the conversations really interesting and helpful! Glad to be here!

1/2" longer than standard. As per my fitting. I'm 6-2"
So your 6'-2" and 1/2" longer than standard. I am right at 6' so that's some good info. Thanks

Thanks! Excellent advice! I am currently hitting a 9.5 degree Burner 09 with standard length. Some extra distance would be nice.

I have a +1/2 and I’m 6’3. I also have a shorter driver but can’t seem to hit it worth a darn.

So your 6'-2" and 1/2" longer than standard. I am right at 6' so that's some good info. Thanks

I had to do a lot of research when developing my club holders. 1" longer is good until you are 6-7". You'd fit at 1/4" longer. But as you can see in this thread. Driver lengths are quite subjective.

One of the guys I play with is a 1 handicapper and hits it crazy long. I am very comfortable hitting the Burner but it is quite old and I am seeing a new driver in my near future. It just gets so crazy with all the articles and videos. Thanks for all the comments! Sounds like I definitely need to head to Dicks Sporting Goods and try a few drivers.

Standard

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

One of the guys I play with is a 1 handicapper and hits it crazy long. I am very comfortable hitting the Burner but it is quite old and I am seeing a new driver in my near future. It just gets so crazy with all the articles and videos. Thanks for all the comments! Sounds like I definitely need to head to Dicks Sporting Goods and try a few drivers.

Spend the day there and hit them all! Find one you like? Keep trying others and then going back to it for some more hits.

I've tried drivers at 43.5", 44" inches etc... but found the distance loss is significant (compared to 45", 45.5", 46" drivers.
Actually, for me a well struck 3 wood goes as a far as a 44" driver shot. So for me, the best distance is achieved using a 45" or longer driver shaft. And for the best combination of distance and accuracy, my preference is a 43" 15* loft 3 wood. At most courses I play 3 wood off nine tee boxes and driver from about five tee boxes.

I played a steel shafted 43.5" driver for years. When I went to graphite, the hardest thing to do was get a shaft that was heavy enough (~70g) and enough headweight to produce a swingweight that I could actually feel in my backswing. Now, I have shafts that make my playing lengths range from 44.25" to 45". Right now, I'm playing at 45", which, I guess, is -0.5", but it works well for me most of the time. My 2nd shaft in line plays at 44.75" so they're not all that far apart. I do contemplate taking out one of my 43.5" steel shafted drivers sometimes, just for old time's sake.

I’ve been playing my drivers shorter for a while now, and when I pick up a standard length driver nowadays it feels horrible. I’m typically around 44-44.5 and I gained control and distance from being able to get better ball striking.

I game the 10.5* callaway fusion “heavy” version. The heavy version is 1” shorter than standard and has a heavier weight in the head to keep the swing weight the same as standard. I know this driver is a few years old but I don’t see myself changing anytime soon.... finding this driver transformed my game in so many ways, I believe it is the perfect fit for me.

Going to a shorter driver helped me find center contact more often than not, which leads to TONS of confidence. With previous drivers I was terrified on the tee box, I felt like I had no idea where my shots were gonna go. Now I step up to the tee, visualize the exact shot I want, and 8/10 I can produce that shot.

I do believe that having a driver you have confidence in is more important than anything.

Side note: I bought this driver on eBay. A few months ago I went in for a fitting. My fitter didn’t shove new technology down my throat, we went through several new drivers and nothing worked better than this driver. My fitting did help me dial this driver in though. We moved from 10.5 down to 9.5 and use the “draw” setting. Since doing this I have an INSANE amount of confidence in this driver. My playing partners say that Driver is the strongest part of my game.

My point is, don’t get bogged down on what “might” work for you. Get fit if you can, then you KNOW you have a driver that works. That kind of confidence can transform your game more than anything.

First, welcome to THP!

Second, I play 44.75”. In all my testing done for reviews and just tinkering in general it’s always been the sweet spot for solid contact combined with comfort in the length itself.

Back