Do you play a standard lentgh driver or shorter?

I've always wondered is there a difference between a shorter driver shaft vs choking up the equal amount on a standard shaft? or why that's bad?

I've always wondered is there a difference between a shorter driver shaft vs choking up the equal amount on a standard shaft? or why that's bad?

Choking down will give the club a lower "effective" swingweight (i.e. feel lighter), but it won't change a whole lot otherwise... except maybe make you find the sweet spot more often (or less often if the effective change in swingweight lowers your ability to control the clubhead). It's worth a try though. If you feel like the length is more comfortable, but the club feel light, add some lead tape to bring the "effective" swingweight back to where it is at normal length. If that headweight feels good, but the shaft now feels too soft, then you might need a reshaft to a slightly stiffer shaft at the shorter length. Seems like alot of work, but the good thing is, if it's futile, all you have to do is rip off the lead tape and stop choking down. :)

I play my driver at 44 and 7/8ths, essentially it is 45" to the end of the grip.

I'm short so I play a short driver. Also helps keep me in play.

Besides the difference between OB and rough is enough to sacrifice a few yards.

Whether it's a driver or a putter etc... choking down retains much of the original "balance" of the club, which some players like. Also, choking down on the grip-shaft gives some players a sense of control over the the golf club, which they prefer versus gripping at the butt end of the club. The late Hubert Green was a sensational Tour player who often
chipped and putted with his hands placed down where the rubber grip met the steel of his golf shafts.

Depends on the driver, but mine are usually somewhere around 45". The factory lengths pushing 45 3/4" are a bit long, especially in situations where I might try to over swing, like windy days. Get down around 44.5" and I start to lose more distance.

Play mine right at 44.5 and I’m 6-2.

My new driver is 44.5”. I can already tell I’ll have a bit more control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've mostly settled on 45" as my driver length.

Shorter at 44 1/2 more accurate for me and better contact.

Couple things to consider when choking down:

1) if you play a standard tapered grip you are essentially now playing on the thinner part making it more like an undersized grip.
For some a thinner grip can help rotate the hands easier which can promote closing the club face easier. Blessing or a curse depending on what you need.

2) a Callaway fitter once told me. Choking down up to an inch is usually fine. Anymore and it can restrict the hands. For what it’s worth, His words not mine. Brook Henderson plays a 48” driver and chokes down more than an inch and she has no issue driving the ball

My first post on here and if it has been approached already I apologize. I am a double digit handicapper, 55 years old with a slower swing speed. According to several articles I have read it is said to get better distance and straighter ball flight I should be using a shorter length driver. Opinions on this, comments or first hand experience would be great! I am currently using my faithful Burner 09 driver regular flex, standard length. Looking to purchase a new driver this year.

Welcome to THP! I play at 43.5” and have been having an awesome driving year. Just feels like a more natural swing.

I've done it but I went back to standard length. I've yet to find a shaft I like at the shorter length. The last time I tried it I did the Cobra F9 tour length and the club seemed too stiff. If I were to try it again I might go a flex lighter to help counteract the shorter shaft.

My primary driver is 45’ so 1/2 short of “Standard” it’s the best driver setup I’ve ever gamed. Accurate and distance wise.

i’ve also had great success with a thriver 3w shaft 43” inches in a driver head with heavier weight, higher launching and generally tighter dispersion

I’m 6’2” and play my driver at 44” / 3W at 43”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Welcome! It is such a personal thing, that it makes it hard to give a blanket recommendation. The drivers are so forgiving now and you will see a huge difference from yours. Given your moderate swing speed, I would suggest looking more towards a higher lofted driver, maybe in the 12 degree range and keeping the length standard. You might appreciate the extra 5 to 10 yards, presuming you can make similar strikes. The old standby suggestion of getting a fitting or at least hitting some drivers in the store would tell you at least how you do with standard length. Good luck and let us know what direction you go.

I agree with ^

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

45.5 inches. The fitter said it is like a 43.5 inch driver for me.

My new driver is 44.5”. I can already tell I’ll have a bit more control.

Same here. I have mine at 44.5" down from 45.5" on my old one. Gained distance but I equate that to the new EF SZ head over my old RazrHawk.

My M5 is standard length but I always grip down about 1". I'll get around to cutting it down at some stage and before anyone says it, the swing weight change won't bother me.

5' 11" and use a 45.75" driver. I do not notice it being a little long. What I do notice, is it's counterbalanced shaft and the light head feel.

I'm 6' 1" and play my M5 at 44". Still get a great distance/accuracy combination. But honestly, think 44.5" is my best playing length.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I am 44.5 with my new shaft. I have way better accuracy and I am also not hitting the heel all of the time. One of the best things I have done to help improve my game.

Standard at 45.5 inches. I asked the fitter about going shorter but he said the 45.5 inch driver plays like 43.5 inches, so he didn’t recommend it.

I've played my driver as short as 44" in the past with some success. The last few I've had have all been around 45", which is still 1/2"-3/4" shorter than standard depending on the driver.

I usually go 1/4” short of whatever the standard length is. But for my new driver I wanted to go 44.5” which is 1/2” short.

Back