Do you play a standard lentgh driver or shorter?

I am going to get fit for a new driver in the spring and will most likely look at getting a shorter shaft.

I hit my hybrids and 3 wood really well off the tee, but my driver is all over the map. I will sacrifice a few yards for more fairways.

I read a few articles on the subject, one where they tested a bunch of amateurs and the avg distance was 1.7 yards less but their accuracy went up by 28%.

45 and a 1/4 inch.

43.5" right now. I've gamed driver heads on three-wood shafts before and had similar results distance/dispersion-wise.

44.75” driver
42.5” 3 wood
40.25” hybrid

I've played drivers ranging in length from 43" to 48" For maximum yardage, a longer shaft is where it's at.

My first post on here and if it has been approached already I apologize. I am a double digit handicapper, 55 years old with a slower swing speed. According to several articles I have read it is said to get better distance and straighter ball flight I should be using a shorter length driver. Opinions on this, comments or first hand experience would be great! I am currently using my faithful Burner 09 driver regular flex, standard length. Looking to purchase a new driver this year.

I went one inch shorter. I've had good results with it.

43.25" - your basic Thriver.

It might not go further, it certainly goes straighter (y)

Full length driver shafts for me have so far required Pythagoras to work out the distance.

Been playing a 44.5" driver since driver lengths went to 45".

Went from 44 to 44.5 last night and everything improved. It’s nice to see upper 150 mph ball speeds again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My first post on here and if it has been approached already I apologize. I am a double digit handicapper, 55 years old with a slower swing speed. According to several articles I have read it is said to get better distance and straighter ball flight I should be using a shorter length driver. Opinions on this, comments or first hand experience would be great! I am currently using my faithful Burner 09 driver regular flex, standard length. Looking to purchase a new driver this year.
I am 6’2” and play a Callaway Rogue at 45.5 which i believe is now considered standard length. I experimented with shorter shafts and for me it wasnt comfortable. I have played with guys over the years who had and loved (and crushed) the Burner 09. Acter reading your post i thought i remembered the Burner 09 stock standard length was at least 46. I googledit ant it shows the stock at 46.25 dont know if you changed shafts but if you didnt hou might want to check that. Good luck finding a new driver, always enjoy trying new drivers.

I've gone shorter this year and doing so have picked up some much-needed confidence with the driver. I've also seen zero issues with distance on the course, in fact I believe I'm seeing more distance because of the better contact. MY numbers on GC2 help show that as well. As with everything in golf, what's good for me isn't necessarily good for you so your mileage may vary.

I play my driver 1" shorter than normal for control and consistency and I'm 6'2". I find it more controllable, and more consistent than a standard length driver.

Thriver here as well, 3w shaft in driver head. 43.5". No difference in distance but I hit more fairways.

I'm 44 1/8th for last 2 years. During same time my swing has improved some from driver to wedge. I'm hitting the driver about the same length but more accurately. My driver is not a weapon in my game yet but it is far better then it was 3 years ago.

I’ve been playing my drivers shorter for a while now, and when I pick up a standard length driver nowadays it feels horrible. I’m typically around 44-44.5 and I gained control and distance from being able to get better ball striking.
..... and If I'm not mistaken, shortening/extending shaft length ... can and should change lie* angle?
I'm not even sure what my driver lie is, but I'm chopping it 3/4" to perhaps an inch very soon, verrry soon, lol.

I also played 95 gram, steel shafted, whipped persimmon woods at much shorter lengths as well, lol ... I remember being very consistent too ... :p
Right now I'm at 45.5, and D-3, and ... I'm just done with these HUGE heads, messed up swing-weights, closed faces ... (I miss my TM R-7 TP Quad, 44 1/2, and smaller head,
and more of a square to open face? by a degree or 2? (correct me if I'm mistaken golf gurus?) The TP's from what I was told were a lil more open .... but man ...
Thats why I'm still hitting this Cobra, it's a ridiculous comfortable head. But there was nothing as good as my Tour Preferred Quad .. that length just seemed to *fit*.

..... and If I'm not mistaken, shortening/extending shaft length ... can and should change lie* angle?
I'm not even sure what my driver lie is, but I'm chopping it 3/4" to perhaps an inch very soon, verrry soon, lol.

I also played 95 gram, steel shafted, whipped persimmon woods at much shorter lengths as well, lol ... I remember being very consistent too ... :p
Right now I'm at 45.5, and D-3, and ... I'm just done with these HUGE heads, messed up swing-weights, closed faces ... (I miss my TM R-7 TP Quad, 44 1/2, and smaller head,
and more of a square to open face? by a degree or 2? (correct me if I'm mistaken golf gurus?) The TP's from what I was told were a lil more open .... but man ...
Thats why I'm still hitting this Cobra, it's a ridiculous comfortable head. But there was nothing as good as my Tour Preferred Quad .. that length just seemed to *fit*.

Shortening a club will make the lie angle flatter.

recently I was on the range with a monitor with drivers from 44 inches to 45.5. For reasons unknown to me, generated a bit better swing speed with the 44 inch driver then I did my brand new 45.5. Smash factor and ball speed went to my 2010 era driver which I had cut down to 44 5/8. clearly for me more to this discussion then just shaft length. the range of swing speeds I saw were from 89 to 95.

I used to have a 44.5” driver but my newest one is standard length at 45.5”. I did get some swing flaws worked out so I can hit with that length much better than before. I wouldn’t mind going a little shorter though. To me, a 460cc head on a short shaft just feels like you just can’t miss the center.

9* M5 Tour set HIGHER playing 43.75”. Absolutely no distance loss for me.

I'm 5'9" and play at 44". I might be giving up some distance, but that's not really a concern - I hit it plenty far for the courses I play. There's a huge benefit in making better contact and not losing tee shots.

Shorter 44.5”

I've played them from 44.25-45 in. It seems 45.75 is getting close to standard.

44.5 is a good length but watch your swingweight - D2 is a starting point. Mine is D4 at 45 in. If I want more control, it's easier to grip down to 44.5 inches or less.

I have played mine at 44.5” for a few years. I may try 44.75-45” on my next driver.

It's been 9 months since this comment. I switched to a 45" driver in March and have been fine with it. I'll likely stick with 43" 3 woods and 45" driver's from here on out.

Me EXS and EXS Pro both are both cut to 44.5". I play my Original One Mini Driver at the stock 43.75" length.

Back