Do you play different lengths than standard?

Trmpt98

2024 Vokey / 2023 GOAT Cup / 2019 Bridgestone
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was looking at my clubs today (since we have snow and I can't do anything else) and started comparing them to other sets I have at home. I noticed that my irons are all the 0.5" long but when measuring I noticed my 3 wood always plays 0.5" longer than my old 3 wood (43.5" instead of the standard 43"). Yet my drivers are all at the 45" mark. My questions is when fitted do you add the extra length through the bag or just the irons? I just didn't pay attention to extra length in the woods and it caught me offguard. Thoughts? What do you play?

I'm now also wondering if since my irons all play 1 deg upright, should my hybrids and woods be the same?

........ I need to hit some golf balls!

I hate to break it to you but there is no standard for iron length anymore even among different models from the same manufacture. Lengths are longer than they used to be with irons and woods. Same goes with driver where the length can vary from 45-46" so I've been cutting each one of my numerous new drivers down to 44.5-44.75 for 20 years now.

Last edited:
With modern lofts, some irons are furnished with enough length to handle the stronger lofts and some are not.
My decision would be based on that.

As for iron lie angles, I usually have to go flat with everybody but Mizuno.

With metals, lie angles are usually fixed (unless thay have those hosel adjusters), so I may have to shorten just a little bit to get them flat enough.

I hate to break it to you but there is no standard for iron length anymore even among different models from the same manufacture. Lengths are longer than they used to be with irons. Same goes with driver where the length can vary from 45-46" so I've been cutting each one of my numerous new drivers down to 44.5-44.75 for 20 years now.

Yes I know that, but mine have all been similar so I was speaking generally. I was more shocked to find my 3 wood a 1/2 inch longer than what I've normally played for the last 20 years. I've had a few iron fittings but never had woods fitted so I was shocked to see the difference in length.

I'm 6'-2" with relatively short arms for my height. I was told years ago, and it stands to reason, that I would need clubs 1" over standard. I bought some PING Eye 2 irons that were +1" and hated them; I never could adapt to the extra length. I've also struggled with drivers as they approached 46" and am much more comfortable with a shorter driver.

Driver I play to 44 1/5, 5W is 1/2 short, irons are stated length of website, putter is 34"

Compared to what Srixon build as standard, my irons and wedges are all 1" longer and 2 degrees upright
Driver and 3W are stock (Callaway Epic Flash Subzero)

It’s hard to say when there are
I hate to break it to you but there is no standard for iron length anymore even among different models from the same manufacture. Lengths are longer than they used to be with irons. Same goes with driver where the length can vary from 45-46" so I've been cutting each one of my numerous new drivers down to 44.5-44.75 for 20 years now.

? ? ?

Nailed it - i play a length that I'm comfortable with, generally try clubs and see what I can getaway with, lengths are "stock" for clubs as to how they work best, I'll mess around within those by about 1/2 an inch either way

I play standard, in the way that all my shafts are the original length as originally specced by the OEM.

I typically play my whole bag shorter than standard. Anywhere from .5" to 1.5" depending on the club and stock length

All my clubs are plus one inch because I am tall. Always have ordered them plus one inch. Since I haven't grown since I was about 15.

But as the @tahoebum has mentioned, even if you order your set plus one inch or minus one inch, you will have sets of irons and Woods, including the driver that will be plus or minus one inch longer or shorter than each other. He is absolutely correct the length difference is between different brands and between Different sets of different brands.

So if you want your clubs a specific length, which you prefer, you must order them custom and specify the exact length you want them cut to. 44 inches, 34 inches etc. In the case of irons you may only have to specify the length of the 6 or 7 iron and have the set built around that length.

Or you will have to cut them yourself to your preferred length.

Interesting that a industry which is so obsessed with data and numbers can actually have no Standards for anything but the total number of clubs allowed in your bag. 14:drinks:

All my clubs are plus one inch because I am tall. Always have ordered them plus one inch. Since I haven't grown since I was about 15.

But as the @tahoebum has mentioned, even if you order your set plus one inch or minus one inch, you will have sets of irons and Woods, including the driver that will be plus or minus one inch longer or shorter than each other. He is absolutely correct the length difference is between different brands and between Distance sets of different brands.

So if you want your clubs a specific length, which you prefer, you must order them custom and specify the exact length you want them cut to. 44 inches, 34 inches etc. In the case of irons you may only have to specify the length of the 6 or 7 iron and have the set built around that length.

Or you will have to cut them yourself to your preferred length.

Interesting that a industry which is so obsessed with data and numbers can actually have not Standards for anything but the total number of clubs allowed in your bag. 14:drinks:

Lie angles are not standard anymore even with the same company and with compounded with different lengths it complicates fittings even further. I'm sometimes 2* flat, sometimes a little more or a little less.

As was pointed out, there are no "standard" lengths anymore (were there ever?).

I play a 45" driver that's 0.5" to 1" shorter than "standard" depending on which company you ask, I play a 42.5" 3wd that's likely 0.5" short, a 42" 5wd that's likely "standard" length. My irons are based on a 38" 5i and that used to be 0.5" over standard back in the day. I'm weird, though, and all my clubs from 9i to LW are 36" so my wedges are likely a little over "standard", too.

Lie angles are not standard anymore even with the same company and with compounded with different lengths it complicates fittings even further. I'm sometimes 2* flat, sometimes a little more or a little less.
So you can imagine what happens to a customer when they go in and get fit. Order their brand new Premium golf clubs. Goes out to play and starts slicing the ball with every club. He takes lessons and no cure.

When actually the clubs are just in need of a lie angle adjust Standard from 2 degrees flat!

And he had bothered to pay for a proper fitting! And a custom order!

And let's not mention have to have your brand new clubs tested for lofts and lie when they arrive. Because not only are your lie angles incorrect, but your lofts are plus or minus 2 degrees off through put your set from Club to club.

So you purchase a 9.0 degree driver and adjust the loft down one degree to improve your performance and optimize your numbers. When actually all you did was turn a 10.5 driver into a 9.5 driver. But the 9.0 was a 10.5 or 11 degree Club. :drinks::facepalm::drinks:

Maybe I wasn't clear on my initial post. I understand irons lengths vary and that people will cut down woods to their feel. I just did a search on 3 wood lengths and the 3 that I did (Callaway, Srixon and Titleist) all come back to be 43" standard length which makes me assume that wood lengths are more consistent than irons. It looks like hybrids vary in length up to 3/4" for a 4 hybrid. I'm also 6'2 so I play my irons a little longer and also have a degree upright on them.

So back to my original assessment, I was a bit shocked to see my 3 wood lengthened by a 1/2". My question is Have people seen this happen in their woods when fitted?

So back to my original assessment, I was a bit shocked to see my 3 wood lengthened by a 1/2". My question is Have people seen this happen in their woods when fitted?

I've never been professionally fitted, but I cut my woods to lengths that achieve the gapping I'm looking for. Some of my irons too (my 4-iron is longer, and the transitions in my combo are cut a little different also). So my driver is usually just a bit (1/4" to 3/4") shorter than stock (preferred length), and then my 3W is usually about 1/2" longer (I use it more as as an approach club than a driving club, so I go for a little more loft/launch/and spin, but it costs me a little bit of distance), etc. etc. Is that more what you were asking?

I was fitted for 1/2" longer than standard. I'm 6'-2".

My woods through hybrids/utilities are all short for gapping/distances. My irons and wedges tend to be standard.

Yes, most of my clubs are shorter due to my size and arm length. I like my driver at 43" and my irons at .25" shorter.

The Rogue driver is at 45.5

For some reason I had issues with that length and would have quite a few misses to the right. I brought it to Golf Galaxy sometime last year to cut it down to 44.5. I don't know which end they cut but either way I like that driver length for me despite the small loss in distance.

Last edited:
There's all this talk about no iron size is the same and consistency is off got me searching. From what I've looked up there are slight variations but I am finding consistency across the major brands. For Example: Callaway, Titleist and Srixon all set a standard of 37" for a 7 iron, where TM runs 0.25" shorter and Cobra runs 0.25" longer. Golf Works even sets the "standard" lengths at 37".

I notice lie angles vary more than length with new clubs ranging from 62.5 deg to 63.5 deg. Most fittings I've seen don't just give you that info though, they only say 1 deg up or flat, etc.

Those who had fittings, what kind of numbers were you supplied with?

I'm guessing I might be a little odd, but my driver is 44.5", an inch short. Fairway and Hybrid are standard, but my irons are +1/2" in length and 2 deg upright.

Driver - 45”, 4w - 42”, 7/9w - 41”. I grip down about 1/2” on those three clubs. Irons and wedges are based off a 7i @ 36.5” and 60.5* lie. Putter is 33” but I grip down to about 32”

Back