Do you play the course?

Trout Bum

Regional Rival
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
When you play, do you play the course or do you play your opponent?

I have always played the course and thought about every shot as an independent swing and tried to put the ball in a place that would give me the best chance of beating the hole, last year sometime I got away from that practice and found myself getting caught up in the opponent game rather than the scoring game.

I'm getting back to the one shot at a time game now and I enjoy playing the game I played for so long that allowed me my lowest scores.

Course or opponent?

Course. I can't control what my opponent does so I try to play the course to the best of my ability. When I start pressing and get out of my game, bad things typically result.

I play the course; however, my level of "taking the safe play" can be very contingent upon what my opponent does.

The course is the opponent. Seriously I play match play so rarely that I never think about what anyone else in my group is doing.

I play the course. When it comes to playing partners or opponents, the only game I have control of is my own. At least that's the way I look at it.

I play the course. I may take a less risky shot depending on what opponent did but I'm still playing the course

I always play the course. It's useless to check on what the opponent is doing if I can't deliver my own game. I've played and won enough times to just focus on my game and how I work my way through the course rather than on someone else's game.

Course for sure. I can only control what I do, not the other players. It is always me against the course.

Course for sure. I'm always thinking of my next shot

the course for sure.

Unfortunately I usually end up playing my opponents, which is just a few of my friends that get together and play a skins game or bet on strokes. I generally win by a couple but end up shooting a lot worse than I normally do when I'm by myself just playing the course. I wish I didn't do it, but I do. One of these days...

I try to play the course, but sometimes find myself trying to keep up with my opponent off the tee box. Maybe not keep up as much as trying to hit it farther. Bad things usually happen when I do that.

JM

I ply the course and try to play it smart. Thats what gets me a better score.

I'd rather play opponent as I can blame him for a good shot. Much easier to do then blame myself for a bad shot and keep positive :)

I play the course but can switch to playing the opponent if need be on a particular shot.

I play the course. The course is what I am competing against

I tend to play the opponent, much to my detriment. My best rounds are when I play the course but I can't help but let the shots of others get in my head. Never thought much about it until now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back