Do you practice putt on previous/just completed hole?

Do you practice putt on the just completed hole?

• Yes.

Votes: 18 13.5%
  • No.

Votes: 31 23.3%
  • Oh yeah, I need it!

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • No, it's rude.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • As long as it doesn't slow play, sure.

Votes: 94 70.7%
  • That's cheating (it's not)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We're allowed to do that?

Votes: 5 3.8%

• Total voters

OldandStiff

AlsoBald
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
Played recently with a guy I never had, and he had an interesting take on this. So, what say you THP?

Sure...curious what the issue is? It is 100% within the rules, as long as not holding up the group behind.

I, as expected, play the same courses over time and if opportunity provides, putt or chip again so as to build information on how to hit the shot better the next time.

Usually not, because our group moves fast and when we're done with a hole we're heading to the next one. About the only time I'll do it is on the rare occasions I play solo and am stuck behind a slower group ahead, with nobody behind me waiting to hit into the green. In that situation, I'll hit a few chips and putts just to waste some time rather than sitting at the next tee box waiting.

As long as it doesn’t make slow play/hold up anyone, yes, I’ll putt 3-4 times, when I want, not every hole though.

I will, but really only when there's nowhere to go with no one behind.

Otherwise, I just wanna get to the next hole.

If there is not people waiting on the tee box I will go back and retry the putt if missed. If I made the putt I work on putts from short to mid and long range

Played recently with a guy I never had, and he had an interesting take on this. So, what say you THP?
I will only do it if the tee is backed up and no one behind me. Will occasionally take one putt if had a long or crazy putt even with someone behind but I hit it as soon as the last guys ball hits the cup so no slow down.

What's his take?

I’ll practice as long as nobody is waiting to hit in.

It’s not a common habit of mine...however if I miss a putt that leaves me scratching my head I will roll it again.

I never practice or roll multiple putts on a green I just played.

All the time when playing solo. Occasionally when playing with others.

I won’t normally practice after completing the hole, but if I have a wtf moment after a putt I might

Sure if you have to wait on the next tee box and nobody waiting behind you. More putting is always good and why push the guys ahead if they are on pace

I voted: yes, oh yeah I need it, and if it doesn't slow play.

I know the TOUR has a rule in effect where you are not allowed to putt on a green after you completed a hole, but I have never played in an event with that rule.

Just be respectful of the group behind you!

I do a lot when I join a new club to learn the nuances of the greens. Normally it will be well away from the hole on a different part of the green. The 8th green at my old club near Sacramento was only about 200 yards from my house and I used to drag my daughter over there on the golf cart to practice putt for a bit right before the sun went down and after a couple years I had every inch of that green figured out. It was my best birdie chance on the course.

If the course is empty I won't practice putt as I love finishing a round in 2.5 hours or less. Unfortunately there are normally other golfers out there which slows my normal walking round down to about 3:10. ;)

Not if it's going to hold up anyone.

It's usually early in the round when the practice green speed differs greatly from the course. Or later in the round, when a read on a putt is particularly puzzling.

It’s not a common habit of mine...however if I miss a putt that leaves me scratching my head I will roll it again.

I never practice or roll multiple putts on a green I just played.
I’m pretty much the same but will hit another putt towards an old hole or spot on the green back towards the direction on the cart occasionally. This is usually if I just hit a putt that was way off on either speed or line or both.

As long as it is not holding up whoever is behind what difference does it make? Sometimes the group in front of me is slowing me down so bad I will putt and chip a bit on a green before moving on as long as no one is behind waiting on me.

I said no because I generally don't. On occasion I will go hit another putt if it won't slow things down but generally I don't practice putt during the round.

If there’s nobody behind me I will absolutely putt or chip if I want to get a little practice in.

When I'm playing solo and nobody is behind me, I'll often hit a few extra putts... especially if I'm waiting on the group ahead of me.

All the time, when the situation allows. When the course is near empty and I'm in no hurry to get anywhere, I'll hit a handful of putts or extra shots around the green.

Back