Do you prefer fast greens or slow greens?

Consistency is #1 to me, I can adjust to anything as long as it's not ridiculously fast or slow. Given consistency, I'd prefer them fast but not too fast. It's no fun putting on greens that are like ice on top of glass.

my daughter never stopped complaining about the slowness of these greens, but I said ADAPT... remember, longer strokes

1602819133606.png

Two way street for me. I prefer putting on quicker greens, but I find my approach/chip proximity is a lot tighter on slower greens. Likely because I can stop the ball much more easily. I probably score better overall on slower greens.
Well thought out reply. Typically, when posed with green speed questions, most of us only take into account the putting aspect. (y)

many people might prefer fast greens but they fail to declare they aren't good enough to handle them -- their approach shots rarely hold and they three putt way too often...but as long as they're having fun ?

Fast enough. Greens being too slow or too fast are both extremely frustrating for different reasons. I tend to like around a 10 based on experience from what I’ve been told on rounds I’ve played. My birdie ball supposedly rolls at a 10 and I love that speed, so I guess right around there.

I definitely prefer quicker greens over slower ones

Fast, all day I prefer fast. Much easier to just trust the line and a steady stroke rather than having to second guess hitting it hard enough.

Fast and smooth are my favorite... until my approach stays above the hole...

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Well pin placement plays a pretty big role too. The slopes and speeds can be made nearly irrelevant or practically unfair to even pros based on where the pins are located, and that's the main thing that works against pros and amateurs. Even little munis make pins much tougher than normal for something as simple as a scramble usually. Putts within 8ft of the hole might be peachy, but hitting and holding that area, or putting into it from most other green locations might be a complete nightmare made significantly worse by speed. Two players can play the same lightning fast greens and have completely different opinions on how difficult they were based on where their putts came from. With really fast, challenging greens it's the position game that determines fates more than putting skill sometimes.
Agreed. It's ball position relative to pin position. But ultimately faster greens make this more difficult than slower greens. Slower greens no need for correct ball position.

Not a big fan of slow greens.
1602855786583.gif

I prefer greens that are consistent during a round, that roll well and hold their line, as well as greens that are easy to read haha. I also prefer bent grass on greens

I prefer faster greens as long as the pin placements are fair.

I belonged to a club once that was notorious for having slow greens. It was ridiculous having to worry about speed on a flat, straight, 3 foot putt.

I prefer to putt with some touch as opposed to having to smack the ball on the green. Give me some speed.

I've always been a fan of faster greens. I get the ball on line better and it really helps keep my stroke smooth.

Faster are better than slower. Perfect speed is about 10 for me.

Being an aggressive type of putting person, i suppose I prefer slower greens. I only say this because on slower greens, if/when I miss a putt, my next putt will be a shorter one than it would be on a faster green.

In my golf reality, I don't get to play many courses with faster greens. Most of my faster greens, are of the freshly mowed variety.

Being that I use a heavier putter, (<1.8 lbs) if I were to play on noticeably faster greens, I might use a lighter putter to help with a less faster putting stroke. I keep a two ball mallet putter around just for this purpose. Probably used it 2-3 times in the past year, and those times were for all out of town play.

At any rate, as long as all the greens run close to the same speed when playing, that's really all I can ask for.

Fast for me please. Hate feeling like I hate to putt on shag carpet.

I'm not good putting on very fast greens. And I'm not good on very slow greens. I guess I'm just a HALF-FAST putter:p

When I play on fast greens, they are always true. You have to finessse the ball into the hole, which I like to do, rather than bang it in.

I would prefer Slow to super fast but consistent is more important. I hate it when they have different speed greens.
Fast greens just make for Higher scores when its a bunch of hacks and would certainly lead to a considerable slowdown in pace.

I prefer faster greens over slower greens. Seems like when I have to hit it a little harder it throws off my accuracy. I can also get the feel for quicker greens than slower greens on the lag putts. For some reason I get more intimidated by slower greens. One 30 foot putt might be ten feet short. Then the next one I over compensate and hit it ten feet past.

I play regularly on a course where greens are around 13 on the stimp and can assure you this causes slow play issues because the folks who are lousy golfers regularly 3 and 4 putt on these .... as opposed to say speeds of 9-10. And fast/slick greens also cause average players issues with holding the putting surfaces with approach shots = and this is another contributor to slower play.

Are you really sure about that? We rarely see PGA Tour courses cited as being at 13 on the Stimp! I suspect that they are running much slower than that, but faster then what you are used to.

My answer is “it depends.” The courses I play most frequently are on the benches of a pretty good sized mountain range. On some of them, if they let the greens get quick, you have no chance of two putting if you are above the hole. The last round I played, I was hole high and 30 feet from the pin. I made my putt and watched the ball keep rolling down the slope, coming to rest 80 feet from the hole. I four putted. I honestly do not remember the last time I four putted. On those types of greens, the superintendent needs to slow them down. On fairly level greens, I like them to be very fast.

Greens on hillsides are a whole new challenge! We don't have mountains in my area, but we do have hills! And they can be real foolers! They can make you question which way is uphill or downhill? Especially where a green seems to be cut into the overall slope. It can make them appear level, or even canted the other way. Beware! It just ain't so!

many people might prefer fast greens but they fail to declare they aren't good enough to handle them -- their approach shots rarely hold and they three putt way too often...but as long as they're having fun ?

This makes no sense to me. Why on earth would a golfer say that they prefer fast greens if they can't putt them well! I DO NOT understand!

I’m surprised to see so many like fast greens. Slow greens may be harder to make putts but it’s also harder to three putt from 10-20 feet. If it’s consistent speed, I’ll take either. I feel like my stroke is smoother with fast greens but scores probably favor slow.

Fast, no doubt.

The less action in my putting stroke, the better.

Back