Do you put much stock in "offseason"/winter scores?

OITW

Reaction score
In the past my game would be sharpest in the fall/end of the season up here. Past couple years it's been wonky.

In the past few months I've posted scores (not that I'm posting anything post Nov. 14th) that have been significantly better than anything I posted in season, as well as shooting a PB.

Some of it may be somewhat shorter courses, however temperatures are down as well.

Not planning on getting new equipment this season, as I have the last three years.

So what say you THP, do you put much stock in offseason scores?

No, Exercise, being outside, working on game.

I put way too much stock in all my scores.
Last week I had 5 pars, 1 birdie and still shot like 107 or something stupid. 35 or 36 putts.

I've been on a streak of scores above 100 since Thanksgiving and havent broken 90 since October. it's pretty frustrating.

Not really but still nice to shoot good scores. Little more rollout on drives because of harder ground so don't really pay attention to distance. For me it is about being able to play and keep the swing in order.

Nope but I rarely play between November and March so not a huge dataset.

Maybe not on a scoring basis, but I draw hope from grooving my swing even under all those layers!

As much as I have been able to play over the last 5 years, I don't put much stock in any of my scores! :ROFLMAO:

With that said, in the winter, it's even less....because my play is even less.

I put way too much stock in all my scores.
Last week I had 5 pars, 1 birdie and still shot like 107 or something stupid. 35 or 36 putts.

I've been on a streak of scores above 100 since Thanksgiving and havent broken 90 since October. it's pretty frustrating.

What do you mean by that?

Based on where you live and your other statements, it's not really an offseason/winter for you - might be taking a break from rounds and focusing up on practice (don't listen to me this is the internet and I'm not very good at golf lol)

Maybe not on a scoring basis, but I draw hope from grooving my swing even under all those layers!

Do you separate the outside rounds from the indoor grooving your swing range sessions?

Not really but still nice to shoot good scores. Little more rollout on drives because of harder ground so don't really pay attention to distance. For me it is about being able to play and keep the swing in order.

Agreed, putting I think is the only aspect where I expect it to perform as I do more indoor practice during the winter.

full swing meh

touch shots I really have no expectations (except don't skull it over the green and into the one pond that isn't frozen)

Agreed, putting I think is the only aspect where I expect it to perform as I do more indoor practice during the winter.

full swing meh

touch shots I really have no expectations (except don't skull it over the green and into the one pond that isn't frozen)
The other downside is being layered up and restricted, so probably not getting the best swings on the ball.

My goal last year was to play it safe with better course management..that eliminated the 7s and most the 6s out of my rounds..the rest was working on the short game..
Funny how the best golf architects only want you to play a hole their way, otherwise its punishing.
At the US Open at Pinehurst that Campbell won, I saw Els almost drive a green on a Par 4 only to get a 7 because he drove to the wrong side of the green..
Into S&M golf course designers are..

I still haven't thawed out since playing Saturday on that ice rink, although the Bushmills helped a bit yesterday.

In the past my game would be sharpest in the fall/end of the season up here. Past couple years it's been wonky.

In the past few months I've posted scores (not that I'm posting anything post Nov. 14th) that have been significantly better than anything I posted in season, as well as shooting a PB.

Some of it may be somewhat shorter courses, however temperatures are down as well.

Not planning on getting new equipment this season, as I have the last three years.

So what say you THP, do you put much stock in offseason scores?
Yes, almost the same stock as in-season scores (unless there are temp greens or course is significantly shorter). I, too, have been playing well this winter and am losing a ton of distance due to wet fairways, muddy tee boxes, wedges that cut through the ground under the ball, and ~35* temps. I think it should all be encouraging that scores will improve a bit once it is warmer and dryer and that I actually am playing well right now.

That said, this is my first winter golfing so what do I know 🤷‍♂️. Several courses that I play on do not count towards handicap right now due to conditions but I think its mostly to help people rather than hurt, and I am probably in the minority of wanting to count these scores.

Do you separate the outside rounds from the indoor grooving your swing range sessions?
I think you’re overestimating my consistency! 😆 I take it where I can get it, but I’m usually under a couple layers of thermal and moving around, so generally my outdoor swing isn’t too constricted in the cold weather.

Yes, almost the same stock as in-season scores (unless there are temp greens or course is significantly shorter). I, too, have been playing well this winter and am losing a ton of distance due to wet fairways, muddy tee boxes, wedges that cut through the ground under the ball, and ~35* temps. I think it should all be encouraging that scores will improve a bit once it is warmer and dryer and that I actually am playing well right now.

That said, this is my first winter golfing so what do I know 🤷‍♂️. Several courses that I play on do not count towards handicap right now due to conditions but I think its mostly to help people rather than hurt, and I am probably in the minority of wanting to count these scores.

Nice! Hope your positive play continues when conditions improve as well, good to keep getting out even when the weather is less than ideal

I think you’re overestimating my consistency! 😆 I take it where I can get it, but I’m usually under a couple layers of thermal and moving around, so generally my outdoor swing isn’t too constricted in the cold weather.

Lol it's a mental game so you never know

I consider any real course I play, in season. If that's 32F with frozen greens and snow piles, it is in season. I'm working with a mountain climate and have to take what I can get. ;)

My off season scores are on a sim. I don't take them too seriously, although my real course and sim course scores are fairly consistent so big differences from my norms do give me some feedback. Off season I work more on improving consistency, swing, and working through different shots. My efforts last winter produced my first significant hc drop. I don't know if I can pull that off again for this year, but if that doesn't happen it won't be for a lack of effort.

No, because there's basically no golf during October and none from November through March.

I consider any real course I play, in season. If that's 32F with frozen greens and snow piles, it is in season. I'm working with a mountain climate and have to take what I can get. ;)

My off season scores are on a sim. I don't take them too seriously, although my real course and sim course scores are fairly consistent so big differences from my norms do give me some feedback. Off season I work more on improving consistency, swing, and working through different shots. My efforts last winter produced my first significant hc drop. I don't know if I can pull that off again for this year, but if that doesn't happen it won't be for a lack of effort.

Nice! Sounds like you have established success so you know what to expect from the winter/offseason rounds

Our "offseason" is the summer, and that's usually when I play my best. Not wearing lots of restrictive clothing, it's hot and dry so the ball travels further (baked out fairways help!), and I'm comfortable with the heat.

I started working on my swing in October. It is just coming into form. I feel like I am really striking the ball well right now. I am ready for spring to start playing real golf again and see where my handicap shakes out this year. My goal is to get under a 14. I am starting at 16.2 and have worked down from a 23.4 2 years ago.

Had only played a few rounds since October. A couple on a trip to Texas and a couple last week in Arizona. Have spent a. Tremendous amount of time in sim. 20 sim rounds in January. Played 2 really good rounds in Arizona. A couple more to play this week when weather clears. Sim time seems to be paying off.

I don't worry too much about winter scores. I'm just happy to get out when I can.

I put stock in my scores year round. I live in area that doesn't snow and occasional frost is usually thawed an hour after the sun comes up. Although my scores are no longer do or die. I don't get frustrated or depressed anymore if I don't have a satisfying score. I figure its always going to be a work in progress. A bad scoring day doesn't necessarily mean I played that poorly. It just means I didn't score well.

Back