Do you put much stock in "offseason"/winter scores?

What do you mean by that?

Based on where you live and your other statements, it's not really an offseason/winter for you - might be taking a break from rounds and focusing up on practice (don't listen to me this is the internet and I'm not very good at golf lol)
I just mean I take myself too seriously. It's one of those things where I know I can do it... but as soon as things start going sideways I turn in to a head case and nothing works. I melt down.
It gets worse in the winter when everything is dormant and lies are tighter. My mental game need help.

true winter conditions can include frozen greens, plugging balls in the fairway, beat up greens at times and high wind. I try and just focus on hitting some quality shots and the bounce is what it is or isn't😢

In the past my game would be sharpest in the fall/end of the season up here. Past couple years it's been wonky.

In the past few months I've posted scores (not that I'm posting anything post Nov. 14th) that have been significantly better than anything I posted in season, as well as shooting a PB.

Some of it may be somewhat shorter courses, however temperatures are down as well.

Not planning on getting new equipment this season, as I have the last three years.

So what say you THP, do you put much stock in offseason scores?

Where have you been playing? It has been a bit cold on the weekends for me to be outdoors but I may be getting soft in my old age.

In general I don't put too much stock in my scores. I do pay attention to how well I strike the ball. Other than that it is about exercise.

Where have you been playing? It has been a bit cold on the weekends for me to be outdoors but I may be getting soft in my old age.

In general I don't put too much stock in my scores. I do pay attention to how well I strike the ball. Other than that it is about exercise.

Played my home course Newton Comm a bunch since November, played on the Cape last Friday.

Yup always happy to be outside. I am optimistic, but we have a few more months so we'll see how it goes.

Played my home course Newton Comm a bunch since November, played on the Cape last Friday.

Yup always happy to be outside. I am optimistic, but we have a few more months so we'll see how it goes.

It was warm enough to play on the Cape last Friday but I was too busy at work. I keep looking for days that look warm enough that I can get out again. I like to try and play outdoors at least once a month and I did get my January round in.

It was warm enough to play on the Cape last Friday but I was too busy at work. I keep looking for days that look warm enough that I can get out again. I like to try and play outdoors at least once a month and I did get my January round in.

Yup hoping February will be kind to us

I always play my best golf (score wise) between November and March.
That coincides with full lift/clean/place rules, winter rules, and very soft greens.

Coincidence - I think not.

I put stock in my scores year round. I live in area that doesn't snow and occasional frost is usually thawed an hour after the sun comes up. Although my scores are no longer do or die. I don't get frustrated or depressed anymore if I don't have a satisfying score. I figure its always going to be a work in progress. A bad scoring day doesn't necessarily mean I played that poorly. It just means I didn't score well.
What is your favorite public course near Merced?

Most people here say they score worse in the winter. Temps, clothing layers, the courses are pure mush, greens get less consistent. So even though there's no offseason for posting here, the attitude leans more towards practice time scores for some. I haven't really noticed a scoring difference. Those other conditions are true, but the greens are a little softer as well, and that makes a difference. So I guess I take it about the same as any other time of year here.

if i'm scoring a round, i put stock in it...

if i'm scoring a round, i put stock in it...
And it's really hard for me to NOT score a round. To me it would be like playing football without keeping score - what's the point? I mean, I occasionally go out for a "practice round" where I'm trying different things, working out different ways to play certain holes or whatever - but even then I still keep a score, knowing full well that it's meaningless and not an indicator of anything. It's just one of those little mental things with me.

Fortunately we have great days to play just about every month of the year. With that, I do pay attention to my winter months scores. Some days are just better than others.

A few days ago I broke 80 in 65-70 degree perfect golf weather.

The last few days have been wet, cold, and breezy. Even had snow down to 2000 feet. I played 9 holes, and would've been pressed to break 90, with a 44. We planned to play the other 9 holes later in the day, but the weather became even worse.

However, for me golf is golf, and when ever I play, regardless of weather conditions, I always put forth my best effort. I owe that to myself, and the game.

The whole, basic idea of playing golf is to get around the course in the fewest amount of strokes possible. That's why we play the game.

I have hit my personal best scores twice and both times in the winter. I am not sure winter matters so much around here. The course is usually still dry enough not to make a huge difference. Yes it is colder but there are days in the 50s and 60s. I don’t feel like there are generally enough differences to make me need to not post scores.

I find I score better in the winter and I attribute that to the tees being moved forward and hitting shorter irons into greens (in regulation) rather than smashing woods or long irons like during the season and then scrambling to try and make par.

No, I don't put much stock in scores over the winter

Due to the weather conditions, there are times when we end up on some winter tees or greens which makes the course play quite a bit shorter, but because it doesn't get cold enough it can also be quite soft, so you get almost no roll on drives and greens can be so soft that the ball just plugs

I have a general feel for how I'm playing even if my score doesn't match my play. Some courses one needs to just do an auto-2 putt as they are a mess. Keeps me moving and swinging which should help me when the scoring season returns in April.

Michigan. It would be nice just to play golf right now, and forget about scoring. When I get to serious about scoring it takes the enjoyment out of the game. When I am not so serious about the score I usually play better.

What is your favorite public course near Merced?

The one I play probably over 80 percent of the time is Rancho Del Rey in Atwater. Its only 6 miles from my home. A par 72 around 6300 yards from the men's tees. I like Pheasant Run in Chowchilla. Both are nice. Pheasant Run is probably nicest course within a 60 mile radius that isn't a country club. Its a little harder course though. The biggest advantage for me is my grandson works the pro shop at Rancho. I get good deals for a round of golf and free range buckets. His boss doesn't mind. I've been there so much I'm a regular to him.

I probably put too much stock in all my scores, but in winter I try and get the swing grooved and from there kind of know how the game is feeling.
This winter was feeling pretty good until the snow came and I haven't been able to hit a ball for a month.
Who knows how it will go once I get back out.

I always play my best rounds in the winter. I almost never LC&P. I think not being distracted by a crowded course and slow play is the biggest reason for the improvement.

We don’t have an “Off Season” here... He just have an adverse weather conditions season.

i don't see why i wouldn't. i don't even really have an "off season". I may have an off 4 weeks or 6 weeks total from december through march, but if the course is open, tee box to green, a round is a round. the only difference is the consideration of my score toward a handicap

I put more stock into how I feel my contact is vs. what the actual scores are. That being said, I very much dislike a high score during any season, so still for the most part strive to shoot my best.

Although my last few offseason rounds have been pretty ugly due to a modified injury protecting swing.

Here in NY, I usually get to play plenty of off season rounds in November and December (posting season is April 1 to Nov 1), then fewer in Jan and Feb. I usually put very little emphasis into short game/putting during winter rounds, but I try to use the winter rounds to maintain ball striking. Unfortunately I am not gifted with a natural swing, so I have to continue to hit balls/play to maintain my swing, or else my old bad habits creep in. The more I play in the winter the better I usually play in the early spring.

During winter, I place more stock on the quality of shots rather than the score. Because of frozen greens and fairways, I don't put too much emphasis on the score.

Nope .... too many variables to make it a legitimate score. Cold, bumpy greens, rough course conditions all around. I use the winter to practice & just hit balls. I'm lucky if I get out to play at all anyway. So I'm happy to get out when I can. (y)

Back