Do you "Ready Putt?"

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
I would guess, based on years of conversation here, that 99% of us play ready golf. But what about on the greens?

I, along with most of my playing partners, have the tendency to just putt when ready, regardless of who is away. I am a fast player, and often can 2 putt in the the amount of time it takes some (one guy comes to mind in particular) to even address the ball.

I usually like to putt ahead of the guy who is putting for a birdie, even if I'm closer, unless he/she asks otherwise, allowing me to get out of the way, and let him focus on scoring.

I don't think I've run into anyone who has ever cared that I play this way. What do you think?

No reason to play ready golf from the tee and fairway and not on the green.

This is what causes slow play. If you are ready. GO!

If we are not backed up & being pushed then we go with farthest out, but if backed up then yes putt & get out of the way.

If your group plays that way, rock on! Ready golf helps speed up play as you've obviously noticed. When I've played, normally we aren't too concerned about who has honors.(y)

Ready everything if there is no match, ready everything except putting when there is a match. Always give birdies the honors though, even when playing ready golf.

We play ready golf for all shots. I tend to have putted out before my partners have finished lining up their outs. Hate it when everyone looks like they are lining up the winning putt at the Masters.

Always ready to go.

We usually let the person furthest out putt first but there are many times that someone closer will go first if the person that's out isn't ready.

Completely dependent upon situation--- Typically we'll go furthest from the cup goes first. If we're being pushed and it's our fault, then we'll typically roll with whoever's ready goes first.

Unless the forward ball is going to be standing in my line we go with who ever is ready. Couple of the guys I golf with won't look over there putts until it is there turn to putt and is quite irritating. Even if going by furthest away in turn you should be ready to putt when it is your turn.

This definitely depends on whom I am playing with. I am a huge proponent of ready golf at all times. Sometimes I get paired with that person who needs to walk off putts to determine who’s away.

I'm not big on ready putting. I appreciate the steady formality of furthest away putting first. What I don't like is when everyone just stands there not sure who is supposed to putt. If I even sense that might happen I jump in: You're up; let's get rolling. I am not a slow player by any stretch, but greens are not a place I want to ramp up the speed (pun intended).

I play really fast. On the greens, yes if I'm ready and the player who is away isn't addressing their ball and ready to go....I will go. I'm like that on the tee, fairway and green. Ready set go....

In most cases, yes, I ready putt. Depends how far away some one is from their ball if I am standing at mine already. If they are walking to their ball and I am ready, I am going.

Unless we are playing a game that mandates the strict enforcement of putting order to be respected... Line it up and putt.

I love ready golf in a sense. I will be as close to my ball at all times until I am not in someone's way. I won't jet out in front of anyone and make them wait for me. On the greens, it's usually whoever is furthest out. Again, I won't just get up and putt as someone is about to line up to their own ball. Seems to be the easiest way to avoid stomping all over someone's line.

Yes it’s ready golf tee to green.

With the group of guys I play with now, it's ready golf from the first tee to the last shot on 18.

Not usually unless someone is obviously lagging behind.

Most of the time we ready putt.

Generally, we play whomever is farther on the green unless a person is clearly not ready. I will not putt if someone is not up by the green at least.

I am not a slow putter, but I don't rush my putts either. Putts are where I make up strokes I lost back down the fairway.

For me it's still important to tally up the lowest score possible at the end of the 18th hole.

Not saying I don't mind slow play, even on the greens. Slow play is definately a problem. I'm
just saying I don't contribute to it.

Fortunately I play during the week days, when slow play is not a problem.

Ready putting here, I don't use a line on the ball, just pick my line to the cup, a target on that line and, go. Most of the time I'm done before the first one has plumb bobbed, paced it off, circled it twice and, lined up their ball to win the Masters.:cool:

I try to as my routine is pretty quick, but I know some people get irked about etiquette on the green so I try and differ to my group

if we’re behind pace or slow I’ll putt out

Back