Do you "Ready Putt?"

I will usually try to ready putt unless I am looking at a birdie or par putt with a little help from a person farther away.

I would guess, based on years of conversation here, that 99% of us play ready golf. But what about on the greens?

I, along with most of my playing partners, have the tendency to just putt when ready, regardless of who is away. I am a fast player, and often can 2 putt in the the amount of time it takes some (one guy comes to mind in particular) to even address the ball.

I usually like to putt ahead of the guy who is putting for a birdie, even if I'm closer, unless he/she asks otherwise, allowing me to get out of the way, and let him focus on scoring.

I don't think I've run into anyone who has ever cared that I play this way. What do you think?

This is me as well. If I'm playing with someone new, I usually make mention of it before we even tee off on 1. I ask straight up about ready golf, ready put, and pulling the pin or leaving it in.

If we are not backed up & being pushed then we go with farthest out, but if backed up then yes putt & get out of the way.
I agree with the way you guys play, if our group is caught up, we play furthest out putts first. Actually, my groups are never behind unless someone in front of us is slowing us down.

I play ready golf on the greens and probably play too quick for my own good sometimes causing too many putts throughout the round.

generally furthest out goes first in our group but if he's not ready for whatever reason whoever is ready goes first.

We ready putt but do slow down a tad and check to see if anyone away is ready. It's the one time I check to defer my turn to the furthest person. I try to be careful on the greens as it seems like the one area people get annoyed with ready golf.

I will say I have been trying to slow down on and around the greens as my short game is blowing up my score and I know I'm better when I take my time.

This is where I usually respect the system, but if it's just my boys and they are nowhere close, you better believe I am putting when I am ready.
Big sameies here. I’m always itching to putt out of turn but I try not to.

I would guess, based on years of conversation here, that 99% of us play ready golf. But what about on the greens?

I, along with most of my playing partners, have the tendency to just putt when ready, regardless of who is away. I am a fast player, and often can 2 putt in the the amount of time it takes some (one guy comes to mind in particular) to even address the ball.

I usually like to putt ahead of the guy who is putting for a birdie, even if I'm closer, unless he/she asks otherwise, allowing me to get out of the way, and let him focus on scoring.

I don't think I've run into anyone who has ever cared that I play this way. What do you think?

Yes, putting first (even if not away) and, or, continuous putting (finishing out the hole) is just fine, no breach of etiquette. This practice is helped by the current Rule allowing a player to putt the ball and have it touch the flagstick without penalty .

I do it as long as I don't interfere with anybody else.

Big sameies here. I’m always itching to putt out of turn but I try not to.
Part of it is respect. I don't want to get in the way of someone else who's away and nearly ready to go.

That said, if they are off changing clubs or chatting up the cart girl, it's green light city.

Part of it is respect. I don't want to get in the way of someone else who's away and nearly ready to go.

That said, if they are off changing clubs or chatting up the cart girl, it's green light city.
Yeah, agreed. Where I struggle is with people who look at the putt for too long and from every angle. I want to speed things up but not step on toes

I play ready golf on the greens and probably play too quick for my own good sometimes causing too many putts throughout the round.
Good point, we should play at a pace which allows us to make our best score; it's not a race.

In casual rounds, I like ready but courteous. Here's what I mean.
  • Player 1 chips on the green, but is still away: Let someone else putt. It helps pace-of-play and allows player 1 time to regroup and read his putt without feeling hurried or holding up the group.
  • Player 1 is ready but can't putt without stepping on another player's line: Don't do it. Not cool!
  • Player 1 is away but not ready and player 2 is ready and won't interfere with another player: Let him putt.
  • Player 1 is away and finishing his read and player 2 steps in interfering with player 1's ability to finish the read: Step away player 2. Not cool!
  • Player 1 has a long chip and puts it close. Player 2 is ready and willing to putt without waiting for player 1 to mark: Let player 2 putt.

I tend to putt when ready, but have been working more on aligning my ball/stepping away/looking/adjusting and putter routine so I've been even more deliberate with my time on the green. Saying that, if I'm ready to go and the other fellas are still chipping up or whatever I'm putting and headed to the cart.

We generally play farthest putts. The advantage is not having to have 54 discussions about who's going to putt next. The real ready putting comes when the farthest player remains aware and ready to go.

Yes, occasionally if a player has gone back to the cart for a different club or something, then sure, someone else will putt.

Back