Do You Regrip Your Own Clubs?

I've started regripping my own over the last few months. It's weirdly kind of a relaxing pastime. I have a pretty simple setup out on the work bench in my garage. It's nothing special but it works.

We have some fun regripping content coming up, so I wanted to ask THPers.

Do you do the work yourself? If so, describe your setup?

Full blown station? Kitchen sink?
Absolutely do the work myself. Started kitchen sink many decades ago (12 yrs old) with a Maltby book w/pics for guidance. Late teen years graduated to vice grip/good wooden table setup in my dad's shop :) (floor always had stains and pieces of tape). Finally in early adulthood years got work bench area prepped for gripping and recycling solvent, bins to house different grips and supplies. Oh and a trash can for the tape :D. So full blown station today but I can do it just about anywhere.

I used to. Golf Galaxy does them for 3 dollars a piece. It costs a 1 a piece in materials. For another 2 bucks, let the young bucks behind the counter get it done!

Yes; I have a vise mounted on one corner of one of the tables in the workshop. I cleared it off recently when the intention of adding more club work tools eventually.

Yes.
air, vise, and tape on workbench. Nothing permanent.

I'll do individual clubs, driver or FW, but if the entire set ever needed to be done I'll take my clubs to Dick's and have them do it. Also if putting on an expensive putter grip like a Superstroke, I'll also take it to Dick's to have it done - I can't afford to mess up one of those.
My procedure is simple take the old grip off with curved blade, put on double sided tape, fill the grip with solvent and pour it over the tape and slide the grip on. If I'm adding extra tape layers I may douse the double sided tape with a bit more solvent.

I do. Pretty easy process with even basic tools. A vice makes it child's play

I'm high tech. I have a workbench, a vise, and a paint roller tray on the floor to catch solvent.

I'll use a compressor too but gun tools keep breaking.

Been doing my own for 20 years or more. No setup...had a guy owning a shop tell me once if he used a bench it would take him forever to get all the work done. I put headphones in, grab a beer, light a cigar and go out on the porch with trash can to catch the runoff.

Yes I do. It's so easy, why not??

I do. The only time I haven’t was when they did a sale on 7 grips or more with free installation. My laziness overtook my craftiness!

I used to but last couple of years I take them to my local club builder who is an old friend. He charges me peanuts and gives me time to catch up.

It’s so easy to do, why would you pay someone to do it? Putter grip tends to be a little more tricky, but I’m so anal about it being perfectly square, I don’t trust anyone else to do that.

I do my own. No fancy set-up. Remove grips and tape using a hook-blade safety knife while watching tv, set up my solvent and catch pan in the garage and free-style it. No bench or clamp.

I have not tried to regrip my clubs yet, but ironically looking at trying this over the fall once our season is over in the Northeast. Have some golf fun over the winter playing around.

I do, sometimes, but the shop I use will regrip for free if you buy the grip from them, so I often take the lazy way out and have them do it. I don't have a great setup here. We just bought a workbench for the utility room, so I'll probably start getting a bit more equipment.

I have regripped my own for years with just a vise, grip tape, and mineral spirit in a sprayer over a trash can.

Recently entered into buildingso I've acquired a few more tools.

No, I let someone who knows what they are doing regrip my clubs.

I use a vice with the rubber insert meant for holding the shaft without damaging it. I put a plastic bin underneath to capture the solvent. One day I want a better setup but this works for now.

I do, sometimes, but the shop I use will regrip for free if you buy the grip from them, so I often take the lazy way out and have them do it. I don't have a great setup here. We just bought a workbench for the utility room, so I'll probably start getting a bit more equipment.

If this is being offered, I usually take this route as well.

I'm high tech. I have a workbench, a vise, and a paint roller tray on the floor to catch solvent.

I'll use a compressor too but gun tools keep breaking.

I’ll come to your house next time I need it done

Re-gripped a driver and my 3W today. Got fancy and used a plastic gargbage can lid with some paper towels in it to catch the solvent. :p
Clean up was quick! They turned out nice and hope to use them soon.

Back