Do You Regrip Your Own Clubs?

I really need one of these. D27622AE-5EA9-49E7-B81C-2BE2BA3DCAFA.png

Right now I wish I did my own grips. The shop cut up my shaft trying to clean up the excess grip tape.

I tried to stretch the end of the grip to cover it a little but the dude cut a little of the grip as well...

I really need one of these. View attachment 8960988
I keep waffling on getting one of those, mostly because I get along just fine with my bench vise setup, but it would be super convenient.

Right now I wish I did my own grips. The shop cut up my shaft trying to clean up the excess grip tape.

I tried to stretch the end of the grip to cover it a little but the dude cut a little of the grip as well...

Mentioned poor work in another thread today, but I'd be pretty upset if this happened too. The nice thing about doing it yourself is there's only one person to blame!

Yup, I do my own grips. I had a custom club shop for about 30 years and kept all of my tools and equipment when I decided to quit doing clubs for others.
I'll still change out shafts too. If a friend breaks a shaft I'll likely fix it for them as well.

I do, simple setup in the garage with a vice and an old office garbage can to catch the solvent.

I changed my grips on my own for the first time a couple months ago. A lot easier than I thought. Used a makeshift station in my apartment using a unused oil collection tub

I keep waffling on getting one of those, mostly because I get along just fine with my bench vise setup, but it would be

that’s pretty much why I want it. I’ve re gripped my clubs a few times without it. The solvent collector would make it easier.

I've done a few sets of mine and even one for a friend. Simple and easy.

I just did a set today for my friend. My setup is a bench vise, roll of tape, mineral spirits, a syringe, and an air compressor.

I do all of mine. So easy after I did it the first time. You don't need to have much equipment and it is super easy. I use the Lampkin Crossline + and you don't really need to line anything up.

I regripped all my clubs a while back and have played them several times since with no problems. I used a combination of tape, solvent, & air compressor and it worked great.

I have been doing my own since I was in high school. Was taught by a friend a long time ago and always felt was easy to cheaper to do myself. Don’t have any fancy tools, just a vice and such. Wish I had some setup as they make it look even easier. Neighbor just paid $3 a club to get his done at a shop. When I showed him how fast we could have done in the garage he was shocked.

I’ve been re-gripping since I’ve was 15 (so 31 years). It’s quick and easy once you get the hang of it. Best thing I bought to help putting them on was a small air compressor. I just re-gripped 4 clubs. It’s kinda of relaxing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do my own. Nothing fancy. Just a vice, tape, solvent, and a compressed air hose, and nozzle. Maybe a razor knife at the ready.

Once set up, it takes about 4-5 minutes per club. Easy peasy. Club is usually ready to go in just a few hours.

Also, I never do all my clubs at once, because they don't all wear out at the same time. Some clubs get used much.more often than others.

Periodic cleaning of my grips allows them to last longer than if they were not maintained. Preventive maintenance if you will.

Been doing my own grips for at least 30 years now. I'll do friends grips as well, which usually turns into a beer drinking activity.

I started doing my own grips when golf shop sliced a graphite shaft for the second time. It is amazingly easy.

I usually do my own regrips. If I'm feeling lazy I'll farm it out. I have a vise and shaft clamp on my garage work bench and a hook knife to cut the old grips off. To me, the most time consuming (and biggest PITA) of the whole process is cleaning off the old tape.

Skip that thing, if you are still wanting one, and save for something better. Golf works machines are rather poorly made. While this works, it provides quite a bit of frustration.
Yeah after some time I think I’m good with what I have.

Well, I do the regripping myself. I do it all in my basement, no special tools. Just hope I use enough solution to get the grip to slide on...lol. I do have the option to use air for assistance if needed but that is upstairs and out in the garage so I normally have that ready, just in case.

I've never done my whole set of clubs, but do a couple here and there. Next season I plan on doing my whole set on my own. I would like to get a good club gripping station by then. Just need to find a place to put it.

I usually do my own regrips. If I'm feeling lazy I'll farm it out. I have a vise and shaft clamp on my garage work bench and a hook knife to cut the old grips off. To me, the most time consuming (and biggest PITA) of the whole process is cleaning off the old tape.

Hook knife is a big help, especially in protecting graphite shafts.

I will do a club or two but for the entire set I take them into the shop. Thought about using a compressor but not sure on what to get or how to do it.

Full on DIY in the garage.

View attachment 8960381

This is what my setup is also. Pretty basic with a vise and painting container but gets the job done effectively. I have also mastered removing grips with solvent and air but that's done out in the garage since it sprays solvent and I don't want to lug the compressor to the basement.

Going to buy a vice this winter and start doing my own.

Back