Do You Regrip Your Own Clubs?

I do my own, I have a gripping station i bought from Golfworks.
I need to get a shaft clamp that goes into my vise that's better/more secure than what I'm using. The ones with the lever action look nice.
Is that what you have?

Especially if its a nice $$$ graphite shaft. Cracked one shaft in my re-gripping years and it was a cheapy closeout, fortunately. :ROFLMAO:
Come to think of it, I should have gotten one long ago if I'm gonna still do my own. (y)

I bring mine to a local shop but have always wanted to set up a regripping station. Maybe in the new house.

I re-grip mine in the garage. I have my work bench set up with vise, clamp, heat gun to get the tape off & catch pan.

I've done it once at Canadian's encouragement. It was super easy. My set up was a makeshift station in the garage. Used a quick a bar clamp and a shaft gripper-thingy to hold the clubs over a paint roller tray top catch the solvent. Worked pretty freaking good.

I think the most crucial tool was the hook blade I bought for it. Cutting the grips off and removing the old tape was the worst part.

I've done it once at Canadian's encouragement. It was super easy. My set up was a makeshift station in the garage. Used a quick a bar clamp and a shaft gripper-thingy to hold the clubs over a paint roller tray top catch the solvent. Worked pretty freaking good.

I think the most crucial tool was the hook blade I bought for it. Cutting the grips off and removing the old tape was the worst part.

Tape comes right off.

I have a Area on my work bench with a vice. Need to get some sort of tub for catching the solvent.

Most of the time I will do it myself. Workbench, vice, rubber shaft clamp, and a large spray bottle for the solvent. Excess solvent goes on the garage floor and evaporates.

This morning , in the golf course parking lot at 6:00 a.m, I installed a Garsen Edge putter grip on my friend's putter. We teed off at 6;30 a.m. and he shot 64 for his round . It was fun to watch

Mine is portable, have the rubber shaft clamp to keep the shafts safe, portable vise that I can attach to anything I want, and a metal paint tray where I'll lay the plastic liners in to catch the solvent. Done my grips twice since buying the equipment and usually clamp the vise down on our island in the kitchen with a chair holding the paint tray for leftover solvent. Easy cleanup and a fun activity to do at night since the solvent doesn't have any odor and won't disturb anyone.

I bring mine to a local shop but have always wanted to set up a regripping station. Maybe in the new house.

There is no need for a "regripping station". If you have some new grips, a knife, double sided tape, and solvent you can install grips in your backyard, garage, parking lot, driving range, wherever you want to do it.

I have been re gripping my own clubs for years. I have a full blown setup and I love doing the work

I need to get a shaft clamp that goes into my vise that's better/more secure than what I'm using. The ones with the lever action look nice.
Is that what you have?

Especially if its a nice $$$ graphite shaft. Cracked one shaft in my re-gripping years and it was a cheapy closeout, fortunately. :ROFLMAO:
Come to think of it, I should have gotten one long ago if I'm gonna still do my own. (y)

I have this one in my garage vise. Works well and is useful for disassembling irons/wedges/putters.

I do my own grips. I have a vise set up on my workbench to hold the club, and a dual tape dispenser from Golfworks. I keep a drip pan under the grip to catch any extra, but I don't really have much waste when I regrip. I've gotten pretty good at using just enough solvent.

Nope. Grips are easy to install. However, I typically buy several grips at a time and the shop offers puts them on free of charge.

I used to do my own re-gripping when I played steel shafts. Since switching to graphite, though, I've always been afraid I'd damage the shaft cutting off the old grips. So, these days I just pay a pro to do it.

I had a fun club building station set up in my garage back in the '90s - which I refer to as The Golfsmith Catalog Days - and tried lots of different stuff. I was always trying different grips. I'm not nearly that adventurous anymore.

I used to do my own re-gripping when I played steel shafts. Since switching to graphite, though, I've always been afraid I'd damage the shaft cutting off the old grips. So, these days I just pay a pro to do it.

I had a fun club building station set up in my garage back in the '90s - which I refer to as The Golfsmith Catalog Days - and tried lots of different stuff. I was always trying different grips. I'm not nearly that adventurous anymore.

You could always get a hook blade to keep from damaging the shaft(s).

Yep48327.jpeg

For anyone concerned about cutting the grip off a graphite shaft, grip removal tools are available for about $20.grip removal tool.png

I have this one in my garage vise. Works well and is useful for disassembling irons/wedges/putters.

Nice. Exactly what I had in mind and price-wise too. Thanks.
Much easier to re-position if needed with that lever action. On my little list of future golf purchases.
I need normal stuff like clothes though. Its always golf stuff!!

Have done it myself for many years. Don't have any sort of setup at all really. Use a pocket knife to cut off the old grips and tape, then have the solvent in a small spray bottle so I can coat the shaft and grip and leave no mess. Usually just put flatten out a box of cardboard to keep the floor safe and do it in the living room watching TV.

You could always get a hook blade to keep from damaging the shaft(s).
For anyone concerned about cutting the grip off a graphite shaft, grip removal tools are available for about $20.
I used to use a straight handle draw knife (similar to the pic). Talk about removing a grip with a quickness. Not a good idea on graphite, though.
Draw Knife.jpg

As little as I play these days, it's just easier to take them to someone who does it every day. Once I retire and start playing more, though, I have little doubt I'll start doing it myself again. I'm sure those hook blades work just fine.

I used to use a straight handle draw knife (similar to the pic). Talk about removing a grip with a quickness. Not a good idea on graphite, though.
View attachment 8960615

As little as I play these days, it's just easier to take them to someone who does it every day. Once I retire and start playing more, though, I have little doubt I'll start doing it myself again. I'm sure those hook blades work just fine.

A grip removal look is not a knife of any kind. It is a blunt edge v groove shaped piece of metal that slides between the grip and the shaft. The tool will not damage graphite or steel shafts.
One of the problems with having clubs regripped at a shop is that the worker usually has the habit of taking a blow torch to remove old tape from the shaft, and this fire/heat may compromise the integrity of a graphite shaft.

Attachments

• grip removal tool.png
    grip removal tool.png
    789 bytes · Views: 3
Cheap little black and decker Work bench with small vice (with rubber shaft clskpin my basement.

If I need to shorten a club I use a 6” chop saw.

I use a tee to plug the grip cap. Put on new tape and use a spray top on the solvent bottle.

I don’t have anything to catch the excess solvent I just throw some shop towels on the floor.

No, but I wish I did.

Had my driver, 3 wood, and 5 wood regripped yesterday. Noticed today the 3 wood was set properly so back to the shop to have it fixed.

We have some fun regripping content coming up, so I wanted to ask THPers.

Do you do the work yourself? If so, describe your setup?

Full blown station? Kitchen sink?
No

Back