Do you remember your first ever golf shot?

DaveGolfer15

Reaction score
Handicap
8 (WHS)
Do you remember the VERY FIRST TIME you hit a golf ball? Mine was a full swing with a putter in my parent’s garden. I made great contact, it ricocheted of a concrete wall, over a fence and left a big dent in the bonnet of my mum’s car parked on our driveway - which I had my back to when I hit the shot 🤣. Oops!

Yup. Driving range with a driver. Went two fairways over to the right. The journey began with an ignominious start.;)

Mine was an iron shot off the mojave desert. Several of them in fact. I think I was around 9 or 10 years old. Wasn't my club. The owner was pissed. Every lie involved rocks, and other undisturbed desert debris.

Iirc, my first real golf swing, on a golf course, was probably at a par 3 course in North Las Vegas.....at night

Not distinctly. Does miniature golf count?

I do have memories of my first lesson at about age 5 or 6. How to grip the club...

I can't remember my first swing. I can definitely remember learning about how to grip the club with my dad though. We went over that before even trying to make contact with a ball. It was definitely at Annie Lake Golf Course though!

Lots of mini-golf as a little kid, but again I can't remember the first time I played.

I can remember as a child putting in the living room when golf was on tv. I don’t remember the first time that I swung a club or hit a ball.

I wish.

I only vaguely remember yesterday.

I've made a lot of bad choices in my life. Childhood memory recall isn't my strength.

Yep, I was 16. Dad would fill up my car with gas if I would take him to and from the course as a DD. I was waiting around one afternoon for him to finish and had some cash in my pocket. Went in and got a big bucket of balls then went to the range with a club from lost and found. The whole bucket was crap and I shredded my hands by the end of it. Haha I remember it being a bittersweet moment for my dad when he pulled up in his cart beside the range. He was excited I showed interest in the game, but seemed a little hesitant go give up his escape with his buddies. Haha poor guy couldn't keep me away after that and I quickly became the DD/bartender in his regular golf groups.

It was a par-3 at Forest Oaks GC in Greensboro, NC. I had a cut-down 3-iron (I was 9 or 10 years old) and hit a line drive that rolled up onto the front fringe. It seems in my mind like about 150-yards, but was probably more like 90 :)

I don’t remember one bit. I remember slapping a plastic ball around the yard with plastic clubs, but I can’t even remember being converted from lefty to righty at a young age!

Putting at a mini golf course.
My first full swing that I remember was that same day when I accidentally hit my brother with a full swing putter.
He still has the scar on his forehead!

We lived on a half acre. My dad let me hit his old persimmon 3 wood. I was maybe 7, so he's thinking it wouldn't go far. Probably the purest strike I've ever hit. It went close to 150 yards and hit the side of the neighbor's house. From then on, he'd take me and my brother to the driving range instead of the yard.

Yep, almost broke a window on the garage. :eek:

I actually do even if it was 52 years ago. Three of my high school classmates went out for our first 18 hole adventure. I sculled my first drive with a persimmon driver and the ball stayed about three feet off the ground, At about a hundred yards the hill started going up and the ball just followed the contour and stayed at three feet. At the crest of the hill the ball seemed to just jump up and continued until we couldn't see it any more. A real Texas wind ball a friend would say:LOL: Always wanted to replicate that drive on windy days against the wind. :unsure:

Wish I could but I can't remember the shot. I'm guessing I probably swung and missed a time or three before squirting out a weak ground ball.

I do remember the when, where and who though. Feb 1976 on the driving range at long since closed Brooks AFB in San Antonio. I would've been 20. It's also very likely Mike Wright was the only other person on the range that afternoon. The school bus would drop him off at the course because his dad ran the pro shop. Most evenings it'd just be us practicing together. About 10 years later Mr Hogan hired Mike to be head pro at Shady Oaks. He got to help Hogan hit his final shots.

Last edited:
I don’t remember my last shot that was just last week let alone one that happened 60 years ago.

I do remember my first SWING at a golf ball! A mighty swing it was! And full whiff! I think I was about 30 years old at the time
A couple swings later and it was 30 or so yards down course. Solid progress!

Oh yeah. Pretty sure I topped it and it went about 10 feet. But I was also using an old persimmon wood that was probably bent, lol.

It was the worst shot I ever made. I'd practiced hitting irons in a field. I could hit a 7 iron to about 130 yds. and it was pretty consistent. Then it was my first round of golf. I pulled my driver. I teed up the ball to the proper height. I took a practice swing. In all honesty the practice swing didn't look that bad. I'd seen worse in the foursome in front. Everyone had seen worse. I lined up my shot just like was in the Hogan book. I waggled the club like Sam Snead. I made my backswing and dropped the hammer. I hit the ball off the toe of the driver and it went right into the bench just in front of the tee box, ricocheted up in the air and landed on the pro tee about 40 yds behind me. Great shot. It was the start of a very long day.

Nope. I had a group lesson as a kid (somewhere in the 11-12 age range) and played a few times over a couple of years. All I remember from the lesson was a BIG emphasis on golf etiquette.

February 2019 Hardin/Wilson golf course in LA on the upper deck of the driving range. Good thing it was the upper deck because I sure skulled that sucker!

No, I was 5. I do remember as a kid telling people my first recorded 9-hole score was 112 (not sure what age my Dad let me play a full 9 holes; maybe age 7 or 8). I was consistently scoring in the 30's by age 11-12.

Great subject and and stories.

I recall vaguely hitting balls fast at the range with dad, I assumed then the idea was to hit them fast - so I did. Dad did not take kindly to that. But those are very vague cloudy memories.

What I recall is one night dad came home from work with 2 sets of Wilson golf clubs. mine were odd set Sam Snead, his were full set - nicer - no wedges his went 2-9 and 4 woods 1-3-4-5. and a putter.

Anyway, we were at Rock Creek golf course at the time a very hidden gem inside the cozy confines of Washington DC - an executive course. I remember we had a long wait at the first tee, during that time, dad explained the game, rules etiquette. Finally, our turn. He said this is how you tee it up - he did it for me, then gave me my driver, and said "now hurry up, there are people waiting." I did not stipe it, but I recall hitting it well enough to be happy with the shot. I have only fond memories of the time I got to spend with my dad on the golf course.

I believe it was 1962. I took a new job and these guys there had a golf league Monday nights. I had never hit a ball before and they talked me into playing with them that Monday. I borrowed my Uncles golf clubs. The tee shot on the first hole was up a hill that you could not see anything but the hill. My first swing I hit the ball and it landed up over the hill. Whew my knee buckled a bit and I happily walked up the hill to hit my next shot. I remember nothing after that though. The trek the next 60 years has been grueling sometime and fantastic other times. Before that day I always thought golf was a joke yet my mind was changed that day.

Back