Mmaynard11

Grandaddy Captain Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Okay after seeing this I'm left shaking my head. The amount of spin these guys generate is crazy...which begs the question...

How much do you spin the ball?

I do... LOTS of spin... off the driver... WAY to the right... into the next zip code...

I love that video! I do not spin the ball. I can land and stick with all of my short and mid irons, but I’m not getting more than a couple feet of backspin at most.

I can’t make the video work for me.

I rarely back it up, but it stops most of the time or does a one hop

I do... LOTS of spin... off the driver... WAY to the right... into the next zip code...
Hahahaha sounds about the same for me.

I don't get a lot of spin to back a ball up on the green, but I do generate enough spin to have it stop pretty close to where it lands - now if I could only work out how to hit the ball a very specific distance, I might score better :unsure:

i don’t think many of us play greens that pure and that fast. i would think that plays a role.

i also don’t know about the slope of the green. again, that would matter.

those guys hit the middle with proper impact positions.

when i hit it well, the ball may spin back just a bit. more often than not it hops forward then stops for spins back just a little bit. not much.

Mine is more of a stop (or stop and hop). I do get a little spin on wedges and higher lofted irons, but nothing near that video, lol.

i don’t think many of us play greens that pure and that fast. i would think that plays a role.

when i hit it well, the ball may spin back just a bit. more often than not it hops forward then stops for spins back just a little bit. not much.
I’ve thought a lot about the factors you mention above & agree it plays into that.
I will generate some spin on chips around the green & Will occasion pull one back like a yo-yo.

With a good quality ball I can get some decent spin around the greens with proper technique but still nothing like these guys

I agree with this. I'm about the same. One other obvious thing that comes into play for me is the lie. I can spin it a bunch more too if I tee it up on a short par 3 versus hitting off the deck. So I'll change what I do based on where the cup is. If it's back and I don't want the spin, I'll go off the deck. If it's a front pin, I'll tee it up, go a little long and play for some spin.

Mines more of a stop and hop type. Have been known to spin a few back pretty good as well

I was spinning way too much on approach and actually spinning off the green on some shots where I put a dart 5 ft from the hole. Got frustrated and switched from the pro v1x to lower spin balls and have reduced my spin to usually a couple feet. I'm just not accurate enough to control backspin and the side spin kills me on long irons and driver.

I was spinning way too much on approach and actually spinning off the green on some shots where I put a dart 5 ft from the hole. Got frustrated and switched from the pro v1x to lower spin balls and have reduced my spin to usually a couple feet. I'm just not accurate enough to control backspin and the side spin kills me on long irons and driver.
My approaches have a lot of backspin. Very high ball flight that lands soft and spins back. I recently switched to the AVX and have been very pleased. Either a hit and stop type of spin or a spin back 1-3ft. When I was playing high spin balls, it would zip back 8-10ft sometimes.

Give the AVX a try sometime. It may fit you game nicely.

It is so cool to see that shot you make and the ball actually spins back. Alas, I may only see that once in a blue moon on a full shot. Nope don't have the spin on my irons.

When our greens are in decent condition I can get a short hop and stop (within 1-2 feet or less) on approach shots, but rarely if ever back it up. When the greens are baked out, ain't nobody stopping any ball on them.

Quality of the fairways and greens help with that. When it's a whole bunch of tight lies, you can spin the ball a little easier. That being said, these guys are also being pretty aggressive with their swings even on 73yds, so they're giving themselves the best opportunity to spin it. Lastly, hitting the flagstick like Hatton did makes it spin a lot more.

I think one of the things that helps them spin it like that is how slick the greens are. The ball doesn't lose much backspin due to the lack of friction and when it grabs that same lack of friction allows it to come back further than it would normally. Also they don't play spon reducing balls. They like the spin because it adds control.

I never developed the swing technique required to impart "back up" spin on the ball.

I have read a few articles about backing up balls on the green. All pretty much said the same thing. In addition to the the golfer's aoa swing, other conditions are needed. A good clean lie, and a back spin friendly green surface. A clean/dry club face at impact, and using the right ball helps too.

I just settled on a little imparted spin, and a release forward of the ball on my approach shots. I'd carry the ball short, and let the released roll take care of the distance needed. If I needed the ball to stop close, with out much forward roll, I'd hit flop/lob shots.

What you see these guys do is as much a product of course conditions as it is technique. I can spin the ball a good amount but will never get that kind of rippage because the courses I play are not as accommodating.

A year ago, the short answer would be no. I could get wedges to 1 stop hop but that's about it.

Since getting fit for my irons/wedges, 4i through 7i generally are 1 hop and stop shots. 8i and below I have noticed I can pull it back pretty well. A few rounds ago right after a rain storm the night before, I was spinning balls off the front of the green from 10-15 feet. I attribute that new found spin to a combination of the ball change AND my current irons descent angle is significantly steeper than my old set.

I like to bog deep :sneaky: Love some action on the short irons.

I normally get 6-8 inches of backspin on my well struck shots. On not so good strikes I normally get a hop and stop.

I used to just take beaver pelts when I was younger trying to get as much as possible. Just for self-preservation, I'm way more shallow.
I used to hit a very heavy, low-spin spot overall using PX iron shafts and didn't get a lot of spin, but my wind game was super solid.
Just depended on the wedge shafts used beyond that. Its rare I'm trying to "back up" a shot. If I can hit my distance, very happy. If its below the hole? Very happy.

I'm still miffed at the USGA to this day for rolling back the grooves. Old spin milled and PV1's were so fun, and the average guy had a way better chance to spin it like the pros. It drove sales too. So why did they do it? Golf elitism, that's what.

Back