Do you still mow your lawn?

I do mine. Usually enjoy it, it's an excuse to get outside and just do something fairly painless without too much thought. I've generally been able to keep my grass decent though - if I was just mowing weeds I wouldn't enjoy it. Some (not all) of my neighbors don't care much for it though, they're just cultivating weeds at this point!

Do the other yard work as well. Latest project is trying to get an hour or so of edge repair done per mow with the hopes of getting around the whole yard by sometime in June lol

I still mow my lawn, although 95% is cut with a small lawn tractor. Takes me 2 hours to cut including areas where I have to use the push mower and another 30 minutes to trim although I only do that on average every 3 cuts. I find my time sort of soothing, put on my noise cancelling headphones and listen to bunch of podcasts, no one bothering me....just serenity.

We have about 1/3 of an acre with a fenced in section. I have my son use the walk behind to do that part and I do the rest. Edge, weed eat, trim mow then jump on the rider and finish mow. It usually takes about 1.5 hours, which is time I enjoy to myself.

Speaking on [landscape] edging, any recommendations? I haven't found anything that works as well as these. I have to pound them back in to the correct height every spring, but they have lasted a long time, and I can easily replace individual sections:

I now have this: https://www.colmet.com/attached-stake-edging/ around all the beds. I did 290 feet of the back last weekend to finish everything off. It's a bit expensive but it will still be there long after we sell the place and I can run the weed eat against it with no fear of damaging it.

I used to. I now pay $110/month which saves me about 6 hrs a month. I figure my time saved is easily worth $18/hr.

It always blows my mind when someone will pay tens of thousands of dollars for a vehicle but won’t wash it 😃😃
After owning a car lot for years, you wouldn’t believe some of the trade ins that come in.. in my eyes cars will always be a depreciating asset but still have to take care of them.

Our new house has. 3/4 acre lot. When I first moved here I tried 2 different lawn companies, both didn’t do it right. So I bought a nice Honda self propelled mower and do it myself. I also enjoy the look of a lawn push mowed over commercial mowers.

I still mow mine. Front and back takes about 45 mins so its not too bad. I try to get it done one night after work so Im not wasting the weekend out there

I have a corner lot of a townhome in the burbs. Our yard is bigger than others, but only takes just a little over an hour.

Starting Year 2 with an EGO electric mower. I keep length a little higher and limit my "short cuts" to end of season for winter prep. Amazing how powerful the EGO is. Highly recommend buying reconditioned.

Yep! I actually enjoy it but having 4 lots to cut does get time consuming.

theme for this thread

while i do value my time higher than i could hire somebody to mow the lawn in my place, i find the activity basic enough to get some mental workout in during it, away from modern hyperconnectivity.

Just completed before the rain. I enjoy The whole process and I get lots of compliments from the neighbors which strokes my ego. I also cleared a ton of honeysuckle this week with a machete. Great workout and you can see a great improvement after your completed.

Just completed before the rain. I enjoy The whole process and I get lots of compliments from the neighbors which strokes my ego. I also cleared a ton of honeysuckle this week with a machete. Great workout and you can see a great improvement after your completed.
Our entire neighborhood seems to take great pride in it and I love that. It’s nice when walking the dog and checking out new landscaping.

please send your wife to speak to mine about "doing her part" in the flower beds :ROFLMAO:
I'm much more dedicated than she is. Our beds are pretty rough currently. They seem to be on her to do list going on 5 straight weekends now

Lol, yes i do. I use the eGO electric equipment 56 V batteries and i saw this right after i sat down from mowing and trimming. I hired someone about 6 years ago but they never would get it done like it should be. Most "landscape" companies fly in throw 3-4 guys at it for 15 minutes or less and run to the next one. Try to tell them what you want done and they look at you like you are speaking a foreign language.5B52EAB3-B5BB-486C-8EBD-A3E4EBB32CFA.jpeg

Yes. undoubtedly yes. its my other time to "get away" other than the golf course.

Living on an acre with a pool and multiple planting beds with both needing edging and weed wacking every week, I now use a landscaper. To do it “right”, would easily a minimum of 2.5 hours. For $60 a week, it’s well worth it in my situation.
97D3C343-F811-4226-AA3B-3CB5F471D144.jpeg

The lawn on my property is so small that I can mow the whole thing in about 20 minutes. So yes, I still mow.

I don’t mind mowing but I hate doing the trimming. By the time I go around the pond, barn, house, carport, basketball court, all the posts, satellites, etc. it takes about 2hrs. Then I still have 2 1/2hrs of mowing. If I could afford it I’d concrete the whole damn property

I don’t mind mowing but I hate doing the trimming. By the time I go around the pond, barn, house, carport, basketball court, all the posts, satellites, etc. it takes about 2hrs. Then I still have 2 1/2hrs of mowing. If I could afford it I’d concrete the whole damn property
That's why I don't trim every time, and I only trim the front half. I try to get close and knock down anything unsightly.

Cut the grass and do all the other gardening work , l also built the garden and it structures and all the hard landscaping was completed by me ,,, being a tradie helps . And have had people comment on the used red brick garden edging and paved areas and garden.

It’s a outlet of change for me as l work in engineering during he the week . l think too it involves anatomical exercise work and sorta helps golf swing

I paid someone for 4 years. Last year my son said he wanted to start doing it so I bought an electric push mower and weed eater. He did it a few times, but I found I really enjoyed it and now I do it most of the time LOL!

It's been pretty dry here in Iowa. Haven't had rain in a few weeks. Finally, with rain in the forecast, I went out yesterday morning and mowed. Put the mower away, walked in the door, and the first drops started to fall. Can't get that kind of satisfaction if you don't mow your own. LOL.

Nope. After retiring to Florida last month, we found a lawn service that right now cuts for $35 every other week. Cost will go up during rainy season every 7-10 days. Did a cost/benefit/time/PITA back-of-envelope analysis and it’s just cheaper for our smallish yard. It’ll take me a year to figure out St. Augustine and bahia grass vs. our previous fescue yard in Nebraska.

Back