Do you still mow your lawn?

Yep I mow my lawn. My two boys are about to learn this summer but I have a feeling it wont be good enough for me.

You’re damn right on that. I have a 17 and a 16 year old.

They suck at mowing. Which is a modern wonder because I wasn’t allowed to suck at mowing well before I was their ages. Parents these days, letting their kids skate on a half assed job (I don’t have the time and/or patience even with my own kids to get them emotionally invested or interested in a job to do it well enough they can be proud of it-so I suck as much as a parent as they do as grass mowers).

Not saying that about you my bearded friend. Just saying there is a difference between getting a job done and taking some pride in it. You and I know the damn difference. We just have to teach our kids this. Which is way harder then just doing it right ourselves.

Lots of rain lately here... But my goodness the yard is looking great, need to trim / edge so no pictures

Lots of rain lately here... But my goodness the yard is looking great, need to trim / edge so no pictures

Me on a day off....

3AF06AF6-CA1D-4CAE-A3ED-F894C913A210.jpeg

(No my dumba** wasn’t in the ditch, this time!)

But I “could” have golfed that day.

Nay.

“Could” have mowed tonight. 48* and misting/sun/clouds.

Nay.

I’m becoming pretty fair weather if I’m being honest. I hope my body regulates soon somewhere between “sweats at 60*” and “is wearing thermals/compression shirts at 82*”.

Seems like a random number like 72 would be appropriate to be comfortable at? Nah. Not anymore, 🤣

Nice use of sunroof too. Probably didn’t even get her socks wet. 🤣

Maybe I just get dejected about my lawn sometimes. I want it to be lush and green. I currently have weeds and patchy spots. I recently read an article that said the Bermuda is taking a lot longer due to much colder temps than normal. So there is hope.

My last house I did the fertilizer and even aerated it to get better results. I do pay for weed and fertilization. I want to find some stuff to do it myself though.

They suck at mowing. Which is a modern wonder because I wasn’t allowed to suck at mowing well before I was their ages. Parents these days, letting their kids skate on a half assed job (I don’t have the time and/or patience even with my own kids to get them emotionally invested or interested in a job to do it well enough they can be proud of it-so I suck as much as a parent as they do as grass mowers).

Not saying that about you my bearded friend. Just saying there is a difference between getting a job done and taking some pride in it. You and I know the damn difference. We just have to teach our kids this. Which is way harder then just doing it right ourselves.

I'm in my mid-60s and love mowing the lawn. I find it very relaxing. The lawn in the front is 25 years old. The backyard is 30 years old. Both look like we rolled them out 2 months ago.

I also have a boxwood hedge up both sides of the driveway and all around the front yard. I've got lots of neighbors that admire that hedge. At least 4 enough to put in their own boxwood hedge and 2 others that are planning to do so. The hedge looks magnificent. But someday I'll have to give up trimming it. It's a full day's job with a heavy, vibrating hedge trimmer and contorting in all kinds of uncomfortable positions.

I get it. I had my first business at age 8. Planted and sold vegetables to the neighbors. I started mowing our lawn that year too and rebuilt our mower. I substituted as a newspaper boy (was too young to have a route of my own). But the newspaper waived the age requirement for me after I turned 9 (you had to be 10). That year I also started mowing lawns for the neighbors. Was I more ambitious that most? Sure. But at the same time, it wasn't that unusual each of the things I did. Kids joined the safety patrol starting in 4th grade. Opportunities for kids to learn what work and responsibility was abounded and it served us well.

I cut mine last night after letting it grow a little longer than normal. There's something peaceful about doing it, as long as it's not 95 out haha

I love mowing my lawn…as long as I have beer. Absolutely hate weed eating though.

About 8 years ago the county offered rebates for going low water . So we rented a huge roll off construction dumpster , a bobcat and a sod cutter. A month later, no grass , bordered beds with low water plants and 3/8 gravel every where there would have been grass. Ow I just have bushes to trim 2x a year. It’s awesome.
Of course with all the money the county and state have spent on rebates over a couple decades they could have probably come close to building a new reservoir

Last edited:
With 10 acres, I couldn’t afford to pay anyone :LOL:

She enjoys doing it so who am I to argue. In fact, the boys bought (meaning me) her an battery operated mower one year for Mother's Day and it was probably her most favorite gift ever - not the spa treatment, not a piece of jewelry, not flowers but a frigging piece of lawn equipment. My wife's weird.
Similar here. My Wife and I generally battle each other over who is mowing. Sometimes we tag team it with her on the zeroturn and me on the rider. She enjoys mowing just as much as I do.

She also likes tools, and getting them as gifts. I got her a Craftsman compound miter saw one year for Xmas. Everyone in the family looked at me like I was an ogre, until she started squealing with joy. It was exactly what she wanted. I also got her a second chainsaw one year. Granted, I do end up using them most of the time. But, it's not unusual to find her in the garage cutting or drilling something for some project. She did about as much work as I did when we built our deck a few years ago. It's rather handy having a Wife who isn't afraid of tools.

I still do. I can throw on a podcast or listen to the Tom Segura channel on Pandora and bang it out. I think it is less than 45 minutes total with edging the flower beds.

It would be really nice to have someone mow it but I don't think I would ever do it.

I don't have a "big" yard compared to some, but I do have one of the biggest yards in our little town and I live right on main street. Everyone heading north through town has no choice but to see my yard. If they don't make the small left turn, they'll drive into part of my front yard. lol So, to answer your question....yes I mow it myself. If I do EVERYTHING, mowing, trimming and edging the entire inch of my property it takes me about two hours. I'm also a bit of a perfectionist. I went to Kansas State for a degree in Horticulture Science with an emphasis on Golf Course Management, so I know how to take care of the yard. (y)

Moving to a new house on 2 acres. Some trees in the back but mostly a flat property. Thinking of getting a riding mower. Question-what do you do with the mulch?
Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 6.19.04 PM.png

Moving to a new house on 2 acres. Some trees in the back but mostly a flat property. Thinking of getting a riding mower. Question-what do you do with the mulch?
View attachment 9007587

mulched up clippings? seems they would be great under those dense trees in the back!

I wash and care for my vehicle in the summer. The winter months are pretty pointless with snow and other weather. I will wash it maybe once or twice from Nov - March.

I'm just the opposite. During the winter, I run it through the car wash every week to get the salt off. In the summer it's once a month... maybe. I'm not proud of the fact that I don't take care of the vehicles.

Regarding the mowing - yes, I love mowing the yard. We have two acres and a rider but am also considering an electric walk-behind for the areas I can't get to with the rider. My existing gas powered push mower is nearly 30 years old and is losing compression. It's time.

Not sense I had the turf and putting green installed.

I'm just the opposite. During the winter, I run it through the car wash every week to get the salt off. In the summer it's once a month... maybe. I'm not proud of the fact that I don't take care of the vehicles.

Regarding the mowing - yes, I love mowing the yard. We have two acres and a rider but am also considering an electric walk-behind for the areas I can't get to with the rider. My existing gas powered push mower is nearly 30 years old and is losing compression. It's time.
No salt on the streets here. If they did, I might do the same..

View attachment 9007587

Use a mulching blade/kit and leave it on the grass, it's actually beneficial for the lawn.

Back