Do you take dry swings?

thewilderside

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I don't get to golf everyday, much to my chagrin. However, I will randomly throughout the day take "dry" swings trying to create muscle memory of whatever swing key I'm working on at the moment. Am I insane?

I frequently do this whenever I walk past my bag, albeit not full-speed swings as I don't have the ceiling height. But I get some good 3/4 swings in.

Only in front of a mirror. If I’m practicing feel, I need to see it.

My bag is to the left of my desk as I type this... :cool:
I love to grab a club and get up and get into different positions especially when talking swing threads. :love:

Like with a club? I did a lot in the offseason. I was trying to change my hands position at the top, and wanted to get it as locked in as possible. Right now, I don't really swing unless I'm actually playing, because I play a lot and I try to rest those things in between as best I can.
It's not crazy. Lock in that thing you're working on any way you can. Don't want to have to be searching hard for it when you're out there.

Yes haha. but I'm there with ya.

like those guys stuck in traffic and are just practicing their swings in the highway... not not really, but stretching or feel, like turning, yeah i guess I have

Yes. I’ll take and iron out to the yard and make a few swings to loosen up if I’ve sat too long at the computer.

like those guys stuck in traffic and are just practicing their swings in the highway... not not really, but stretching or feel, like turning, yeah i guess I have
I feel attacked :ROFLMAO:

I don't even have a club in my hand on most of these swings. I'm talking I'm standing in my kitchen and just taking phantom swings.

I have a club or two in our workout room and almost always take at least 25 swings after a workout whether it's weights or cardio. During the long winter I try to take 75 swings each day to maintain my flexibility especially now that I'm 55.

I’ll find myself tinkering with my grip with an imaginary club from time to time. If I’m watching tv or something, especially if golf is on I will try to imitate golfers putting grips or iron grips if they look off

I used to do that but not anymore it created some bad habits

All the time. I keep a club in my office for just such a purpose. Harvey Penick thought slow motion dry swings was the best way to engrain swing motions into your brain.

I do sometimes just to feel the club.

Sometimes. I do practice my take away right now as I am making a small swing change.

Maybe get some speed sticks that will help keep your swing sharp.

I do it in my bathroom mirror after my morning shower. Let's me look at my mechanics and the train wreck I've allowed my body to become.

I swing a golf club at least a few times, just about everyday.

A lot of times without bothering with a ball. These are usually my best swings. .

Other times I won't even have a golf club in my hands.

Ironically, when playing, I don't usually take a practice swing. I just step into my shot, and hit the ball.

Last edited:
Multiple times a day I will grab my 8 iron and take some swings, Not full speed, but swings to help engrain or keep me synced up with what I want my iron swing to be.

I used to do that but not anymore it created some bad habits
I can relate to this.

I've mentioned my experience with the Orange Whip before. Great exercise tool, but, if your swing is poor it can help ingrain that poor swing. I would think the same would be true of idly swinging.

Here's an example: In the past, working out with my OW, I could not understand why players who wore sandals would remove them before swinging. But, now that I'm getting my technique right: Yesterday, warming-up with my OW I understood it. With my sandals on I could not establish proper balance/swing. Oh, I could swing the thing, all right, but not properly. So I took the sandals off and tried it bare-footed. Better, but still not right. So I put on a pair of socks and shoes. Then I could establish a proper swing with good balance.

(I regard this as major progress, btw.)

Somebody once asked here if others felt taking practice swings before hitting the ball helped. Somebody replied (paraphrasing): "Yes, but only if you take your practice swings as you would if you were going to hit the ball."

Thus the only way I'd be inclined to practice swing would be in a place such that I could take real practice swings, as if I really meant it. And if I'm going to do that, I might as well hit some balls, too :), even if only wiffle or limited-flight balls.

So I think, in the context of the OP's question as I understand it: No, I do not.

Only if I get a club in my hand....or a broom...or a yardstick...or a......

Back