Do you take the break out?

RealPretendPsychic

Ask me about the Callaway Apex CB’s!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
On short putts, do you take the break out and smash it home?

imo or for me, no, thats how you make a bogey, double bogey and so on with the 5 footer comeback.

Depends on the putt but overall i don't.

I don’t. I wouldn’t say I’m a defensive putter, but leaving myself a putt just as long as my last just isn’t something I’m interested in.

If short putt you mean under 3 feet, then I will play less break. Anything over 3 feet and I will play the full break.

No, I guess I'm too cautious for that. I'd hate to lip it then be left with a 4'+

Less than 3’, pick it up my group never misses those.
Lately my plan is to bang it off the pin since that counts now. BTW, I hate putting with the pins in.

I would have to say it depends. If you mean 2 footers then mostly yes. 4-5 foot you may have to play some break. It also depends on what I am playing in and the ramifications of the putt. In medal play I might be a bit more conservative and play the break.

Speed please... breaks are scary.

Yeah, I'm pretty aggressive on shorter putts. Then again I can afford to be aggressive because I know I can hit straight putts on my chosen line. Confidence is the key to aggressive putting.

I putt the same even with these C-19 inserts being used.

Inside 10' feet, I'm putting for the fence. I'm not worried about damaging the back edge of the cup.

I don't make all of them, but I make enough of them to continue to be aggressive with those shorter putts. If I have a 3-4 footer coming back after a miss, so be it.

I'm guessing, from the follow-ups, this is golf lingo for hitting it hard enough to overcome a pitch that would otherwise cause the ball to curve away from the cup?

Under 5 feet and a "normal" type put then yes. I will play less break with a little more speed. If the putt is left to right or downhill, then no Ill be a little more cautious but not defensive per se.

I'm guessing, from the follow-ups, this is golf lingo for hitting it hard enough to overcome a pitch that would otherwise cause the ball to curve away from the cup?
You got it! Rickie Fowler is a big fan of doing this to knock it home.

That technique is disastrous for me, I have to play the break

I don’t take a ton of break out but I’ve been working on rolling it passed through hole in the last week (thanks Shot Scope!)

i am a die it in the hole putter. i hate the 2 footer coming back.

I going to say sort of. I don't have enough fingers to count the number of these short putts that I have rolled right over the edge this year because I allowed for the break but either didn't get it, or rolled it too hard to use it. If I do roll it past, I'm only going to have a 6 incher or less coming back, so I'm not hammering it.

Even on my longer putts, my ball usually just has enough to get over the front edge of the cup. If I miss, I will be short 75% of the time, and low the other 25%.

Uphill or flat within 5 feet I'll power thru the break fairly often.
Otherwise, I'll try to pace it.

I try to play it firm and take out some of the break. If I'm 3-4 ft. passed the hole that is fine. The exception would be if it is down hill and would roll out.

Typically, no but it depends on what I’m presented with.

No, don't have the guts to out of fear of having a longer putt coming back if I miss.

It depends on the amount of break.

But on small breakers, I will play 6ft or less inside the hole, right or left depending on break.

On big breakers, depends, if it's a downhiller - then I won't smash it.

Yes, I hate giving up the hole on breakers

I know people who do. I just can't trust myself to do it.

Back