Do You Talk About Your Equipment?

I talk about it online. I have started several threads about my equipment issues, fittings, likes/dislikes over the course of the season. I also think about it almost constantly and talk with friends about it.

I post on the forum about the equipment I'm playing. I post fairly often about the B21 Driver. I also post regarding the new Cleveland Launcher XL Fairway Woods. These clubs are in my bag because of reviews that I read here on the forum. So, I like to report in that the clubs are performing as the reviewers (James and Dean, I believe) stated they would.

I'm always talking about my equipment. Especially when I'm playing well :p

If the people I'm playing with engage a bit about it, I'll talk about it more. That's how I bring more people to THP :blob: not sure how anyone 'couldn't' be aware but there are some believe it or not.

I am out of touch. I would have thought that most every member who posts with any frequency is regularly talking about his/her equipment.

Not really. My clubs are merely tools that allow me to get the ball into the hole in hopefully as few shots as possible. Much like I don’t talk about my hammers and screw drivers, I don’t talk about my clubs.

I feel like most skimmed this thread :ROFLMAO:

It says "many people do not talk about their equipment on the forum as they play throughout the year."
Definitely missed that after your setup of talking to guys on the course. Um...I would say alot of us do, but there's only so much to be said at the end of the day? I struggle with how to write about my equipment ongoing, not that I have great equipmment. But ultimately golf is just hard and so much of it it has to do with ME not really my equipment.

You gotta remember we don't all have THP studio's to really gather new numbers or anything? So it's just harder to really add anything valuable from month to month. It's kind of like...yep still working how I said it was? It's a really good question, but I'm just not sure how to do it effectively so that it provides value.

If I’m asked then yes. Now a THP event is different since we are a bunch of equipment geeks.

I talk about my equipment with others. I like to talk tech, gear, R&D, etc.

the issue is, There is a stigma or stereotype that comes along with talking about gear. “Gear junky” or “forum golfer”.

I have been called that a lot of times.

I think people take that as a negative and so to avoid being labeled they keep fairly quiet about gear. That their gear is more important than the game or actually playing well. “If you didn’t switch all the time you might actually play well
“ kinda thing.

the funny thing is, even with the label of gear junky. I am the guy they come to when they want to know about products..

On the range, I will talk with an instructor or two giving clinics when they ask what's now in my bag.:ROFLMAO: they like the Mizuno T22's.

On the course, no.

I may ask how someone likes a specific club in their setup but I dont talk about anyone else’s equipment as much as I do mine. It’s always a great opportunity to talk about The Grandaddy.

This is literally the greatest thread for skimming I have seen to date :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Really depends on who I am playing with. One of my buddies is an equipment junkie like me and we will talk about this that and everything in between. Another couple guys could really care less but will usually ask me when they start getting the itch to try something new as they know I am a club degenerate and know way more than I should.

I don't talk about mine much but the the average age of clubs in my bag right now is probably 10 years old haha. The only newish clubs are my wedges at a little over a year old. I like reading the talk from others about clubs though for when I finally decided to pull the trigger and upgrade.

I’m a gear junkie, but most people in my golf group aren’t, but I do make suggestions when I think their set up is wrong for them (especially shafts)…

I think I talk about my equipment on the forum plenty. maybe not though..

Most people I play with love the game but do not care about they're clubs.

I like to talk about my equipment in the off season when I test new stuff and am deciding what stays in my bag, ( I also get addicted to videos of all sorts of people testing new offerings, as well as podcasts discussing clubs). Once the season begins and I have my bag set, I don't discuss then too much other than a few comments answering someone else's questions. I think mentally I try to commit to my clubs (and like to have the mindset that my clubs that I am playing are the best out there) and don't want to have the mentality that there is something out there that will fix my swing (if my swing gets a little off), because switching clubs when one struggles can become a vicious cycle. I know this may be a little extreme, but for me my head can easily get in the way of playing good golf.

absolutely i do, but that probably tails off the longer i play the equipment

Yes I enjoy talking about it, especially early on. New and shiny is fun to talk about. I do think it gets harder as time goes on as I feel often it’s just repeating the same thing. But new clubs and technology is fun.
It does get harder as time goes on and you've had the equipment for a while and posted about it already. I'll still go back and re-read the threads, add a comment or answer a question somebody might have, if I can. Sometimes people like to buy gear a year or two behind for the lower cost, and might benefit from the insight of somebody who's played it for a while. If I start pondering a club, I'll always search out the review thread here and re-read it even if I've read it before - I may or may not bump the thread with a post, but I'll certainly read through the review and everybody's comments about it.

Yes i will talk about my equipment with friends that are not on THP. I will always show them any new clubs or shafts i get. I do play golf with a lot of THPers and we are always talking about equipment etc.

After my rounds I take mental notes of what went well and what stood out. If it's something that hasn't already been said in an equipment thread, I will chime in. I am usually more active with threads that contains equipment not many are playing like the Srixon ZX driver/fw thread or if certain shots stood out and wanted to give the clubs some love on the forum for what they are doing for my game.

My overall approach is "am i providing a new thought or fresh take" if not I won't post or if I do it's won't be detailed as to not sound redundant.

Reactions: JB
Back