Do you think 6,500 yds is a long course?

Is 6,500 yds a long course?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
My opinion is, no it is not long

No. I’d say 6800+ is long and 7000 is really long.

I said no but over 6800 I would consider to be long. Funny how that additional 5% works

6500 is a good bit much for me these days unless I am really on top of my game.

Simple straightforward question, don't complicate it please.
I know it depends on elevation changes, uphill, downhill, etc.
Just, in general, when you see a course yardage listed at 6,500 yds do you think 'That's a long course' or not.
Thanks to all with honest responses.
For a short knocker like me it’s long. But length can be deceiving. Much of it depends on where the length is made up. One of my local tracks is about 6200 from whites and 6500 from blue tees, but a big chunk of that difference comes from the Par 3 holes. So you have all par 3s being mid to long iron but no real significant differences on the other holes.

Assuming a black/blue/white/yellow/red tee scheme; 6500 would be pretty close to average for the blue tee yardages I think. A challenge for sure but not overly long. Course par plays into it all too. A few of the courses I play around here are older par 70s. I've had longer hitting friends in from out of town who wanted to immediately eliminate one of them since the blue tees were 'only' 6162. That is until I explained that at par 70 they're only allotted 34 full swing shots to cover 6162 so shot for shot it plays like a 6524 par 72.

That’s on the higher side of yardages and tees we play. I would say that’s the minimum yardage I would consider long for me.

I think 6,500 is a great distance for my current level. Most of my friends play around 6,000 and when playing with them I like to play the same tees.

No, it's about right. I like between 6600-7000. Anything more and it starts to get too long.

Variables aside, 6,400-6,500 is what I typically play.

For me yes it is.

For the average golfer driving the ball around 215 yards, yes.

I’m at Bear’s Best Las Vegas and I play off the green tees (which is like blue if you had white blue and black tees) measuring 6628 yards. That is comfortable for me. But I’m at the age where that is the farthest back going forward.

It is condition and even that days swing dependent. I’ve been beat to hell at that range and smooth sailing from considerably longer.

So I went with no but on a cold, wet, and windy day-yeah that’s as far as I’d want to play.

Our course plays 6400 or so from the whites which is where the majority of play occurs. Its a reasonable distance but in cold and wet conditions with no roll it plays long. The blues play 6700 and that makes a big difference. Years ago they put in blacks at 7000 yards other than to try it out nobody played from there. Our forward tees are around 5800 yards. Late in the year our group plays some rounds from there with different games and its a whole new look with shots you wouldnt normally get. Its fun.

6500 is a good yardage. If there are a lot of forced carries then it knocks a lot of people out. 6500 yds of target golf is no fun either.

Here is a course near me that I play often enough that is right at 6554, and you can see the par 4 lengths and par 4 avg length. This info is also available for the par 3's and par 5's. Par 4's, and par 3's, are probably where longer courses start punishing shorter hitters. I can get to greens that are over 400 yds, but not with consistency because I am using long metals. Same with par 3's, I have to go with long metals.

Screenshot (34).png

Screenshot (35).png

For me that’s about my limit. I’m usually about 6300-6400 yards.

Assuming par 72 I say no.

4 par 5's at 500 yards
4 par 3's at 175 yards
10 par 4's at 375 yards

6,450 yards

For me, it’s the longest I would want to play so I said yes. I’d still be hitting 3-4 into the par 5’s and long irons into most greens, but I’d still play that distance.

My previous club had the 18 holes spread over 6,700 yds.
Because it was flat, this included some padding to achieve a more difficult rating. Like a pair of 575 and 590 yards par 5s.

i think 6,500ish is longer than you need to make an interesting course.

Back