Do you think 6,500 yds is a long course?

Is 6,500 yds a long course?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Not particularly. Too far for me. But if the Championship tees are 6500 yards that seems about right for a muni/public course.

I voted no as it being a long course but I don't normally play too much over that yardage

No-ish... Depends on where those extra 300-400 yards are. 200 yard par 3’s? 450 yard 4’s? Or stretched out 5’s with reasonable 3’s and 4’s.

In the overall scheme of things 6,500 yards is not long. That used to be my sweet spot. Years and years ago I belonged to a course where we always played from tees that measured just over 6,800 yards and I had no issue with that. Now anything over 6200 yards, and then depending on how the yardage is distributed among the par 3s, 4s, and 5s, is too long for me.

In the overall scheme of things 6,500 yards is not long. That used to be my sweet spot. Years and years ago I belonged to a course where we always played from tees that measured just over 6,800 yards and I had no issue with that. Now anything over 6200 yards, and then depending on how the yardage is distributed among the par 3s, 4s, and 5s, is too long for me.

It is when you are 65, lol.

no... but i'm gonna wanna know what the longest par 4 and par 3 are ;)

Definitely for to long for me. Like my course to be 5000 or under but they are hard to find.

Depends where it is.
6500 down here is a beast.
At a higher altitude with thin air, it’s a different story.
When I travel, I suddenly become “really long for my age”, lol.

Past my limit by a little. But if it was tight or target golf it might be for long hitters also.

I would probably not shoot my best with the bump in distance, but probably still manageable. home courses run about 6,300, just depends on par 3s overall not concerning.

For me, 6500 yards is a bit more than I am comfortable playing. Once I get past the driver, my club distances drop off drastically. I don't like having to hit a fairway or hybrid into every par 4, so yes I consider 6500 long. But that's based on my personal game.

In general do I consider 6500 long? No. I know there are other golfers out there who will consider that short, so it's good for the course to have the capability of offering multiple options for both of us.
My home course plays 6900 yards and 6600 yards from the tees I play. I play to a 10 hcp and love the challenge. Best round there is 79. Bob

Nope

Reactions: J4U
I don't.

I'm not saying that 6,500 is a cakewalk, either. But if I view a scorecard and the course tips out at 6,500 yards? "Long course" isn't anything that would consciously register.

Obviously 6,500 yard courses can be bears, exceptionally difficult. But no, the thought of it being long wouldn't be something I'd note.

I voted “no” as consider 6,500 yards as middle of the pack and is a comfortable but challenging distance. Now it can be a stretch if crazy doglegs, forced carries, etc but this is a distance where we typically pick tees in the 6,300-6,600 range when on a new course.

Long for me, by at least 300 yards.

I voted yes... at 66 and it's the longest yardage I'm willing to play. Take a look at the par 3's and if they are mostly over 200 yards I'm not in your movie. Too many long par 4's also is a no for me.

Peak summer round, 6500 works well for me. First round of the year or if temps are reducing distance, it might be pushing it.

Back