Do you think Golf's success (sales) continues in 2021?

OITW

Reaction score
Just like the title says, @JB has posted a few threads this year about the strength of the golf business and how it has comped or surpassed some banner years for the game.

So what do you think THP, do we see this trend continue into and thru next year?

References below:

July Sales

Aug Sales

I think it does. The trend is hot right now and people are trying to do things that gets them outside and have fun. I wonder if it cools off in the winter months, but sales stays strong through the holidays.

Depends on how the election goes.

I think there’s a lot of contributing factors here. It’s not just Covid although everything stems from it I suppose. People in general are just doing less and thus have quite a bit more disposable income in some circumstances. I think it confuses bit not at this kind of pace. Hell, half pf the country will be unable to play in a bit more than a month. Lol.

it continues, but at a more steady pace as opposed to shot out of a rocket like the last 8-10 months.

Umm... I have no idea.

I think with more people being able to permanently work from home it will continue to stay strong.

I sure hope so! I got to play with a bunch of friends for the first time this year and they are all looking to get out and play more.

It'll stay strong as ever as long as Covid is a factor. What better game or thing to do than golf that is covid/social distancing safe?! Best game going.

I think we will see a lot of the ones that tried it because of Covid continue if they have found a passion for it. Others did it to have something to do and it was just a way to pass time. Might be a good time to keep an eye on the used market maybe.

I think the 1st and 2nd quarters will remain hot for the southern states. The northern states will probably hold off a bit till the 2nd quarter.

I think after that for the summer and going forward a lot has to do with the virus. I think many people had more discretionary income due to the virus. Be it they didn't go on vacation, used the money from the stimulus, or other reasons, many that were not affected financially spent money they had on the one sport they could play: golf. Now, if the virus takes a back seat and people are allowed to travel again, I expect many more people will use those same funds for vacations and travel. I wouldn't be surprised if you see a decrease in golf equipment sales in the 3rd and 4th quarters as people use their money for other items or don't see the need to upgrade the purchases they made in 2020.

I think the 1st and 2nd quarters will remain hot for the southern states. The northern states will probably hold off a bit till the 2nd quarter.

I think after that for the summer and going forward a lot has to do with the virus. I think many people had more discretionary income due to the virus. Be it they didn't go on vacation, used the money from the stimulus, or other reasons, many that were not affected financially spent money they had on the one sport they could play: golf. Now, if the virus takes a back seat and people are allowed to travel again, I expect many more people will use those same funds for vacations and travel. I wouldn't be surprised if you see a decrease in golf equipment sales in the 3rd and 4th quarters as people use their money for other items or don't see the need to upgrade the purchases they made in 2020.

Very curious to see how holiday sales are impacted this year

Until there is a vaccine and people are expected to be back in the office to grind the day away, I say yes.

If other things remain closed or partially shut down I’d say yes. Another round of stimulus payments would probably help keep those numbers up as well.

Depends on the overall economic situation and the level of shutdowns across the nation. I doubt it will sustain this level, but I would think it will still be up vs previous years.

I would hope that we could see a sustained increase in golf industry sales with some new golfers and some casual golfers became avid ones this year. I do think we will see a permanent change in the workforce with many more permanently working from home. I wouldn't want to be in the business of leasing commercial office real estate space like on of my good buddies is.

Other industries are up a lot as well because of Covid. I bought a replacement dishwasher last Friday and there was very little to choose from. My sales guy had been selling appliances full times since 1989 and had never seen anything like this year where their sales were up 51% over 2019.

I think the trend will continue and as noted by others.... novice and casual golfers are jumping in more and hopefully many of them will become avid as time goes....

Stores need to place “free THP membership with purchase (upgrade to Albatross level for $35.00)” into golf equipment purchase bags. If we can’t talk them into upgrading it won’t be done.

Id say it really depends on the economy and how quickly it recovers. If people are still out of work next year like they are now, its going to be tough.
You don't play golf when you cant afford to put food on the table or pay your rent/mortgage.

I think its 90% covid dependent. . Whenever it goes away is the same day the decline begins to start. A small percentage will remain higher than before but the majority will not and the decline will eventually and gradually come back down to about where it was before. And that in the end will be the day so many will again wonder what went wrong with golf. And then will again begin the "grow the game" campaign and the "how can we fix golf" campaign, and the how can we make the game easier" and blah blah blah.

There were a lot of new golfers and others who came back to golf this year as it was an outdoor activity people felt comfortable with. A lot of them bought new equipment or upgraded old stuff, again those who stayed employed had disposable income to spend and not many other options to spend it on...
So next year we'll see courses busy again in the spring, not sure about equipment. A lot of people will be getting things for the holidays, I guess... maybe a big year for balls in 2021. Hackers everywhere losing balls by the dozens...

I think this is right. Golfers are spending vacation money, season ticket money, concert money, going out to eat money, etc on golf. They are also spending all that free time from those things being gone on the course. As the rest of those time and money sucks come back spending and rounds of golf played will decrease. The question is how much.

Trying to book a tee time round here at the moment is a bloody nightmare, so gotta say yes.

How many sets of new clubs do people really need?

How many sets of new clubs do people really need?
The Duffer I know wouldn’t ask that. What did you do with him?😆😆

he knows the answer as many as we can get away with.

I hope it does. It should mean more people are playing golf.

Back