Do you think Golf's success (sales) continues in 2021?

I think it does. The trend is hot right now and people are trying to do things that gets them outside and have fun. I wonder if it cools off in the winter months, but sales stays strong through the holidays.
I think you are right saying that it stays hot for the holidays. Hopefully supply can get better but I think something else that will play into it is whether covid continues into the spring/summer 2021 and if it does will golf continue to be one of the recreational activities that can be done safely.

If - and that's a big "if" - things get back to normal somewhat next year, especially if they can get Covid-19 under control I think we'll see a bit of a drop off. People will be so happy to get back to their old routines that a lot of the people who came out this year will probably not be playing as much. Numbers may still be strong, but I think this year was an aberration because of the situation.

If - and that's a big "if" - things get back to normal somewhat next year, especially if they can get Covid-19 under control I think we'll see a bit of a drop off. People will be so happy to get back to their old routines that a lot of the people who came out this year will probably not be playing as much. Numbers may still be strong, but I think this year was an aberration because of the situation.
I agree, I think most of the golf businesses and manufacturers would agree. I think the question is will the new normal post Covid be higher than the old normal pre Covid or about the same. Of course there are lot's of businesses and industries trying to figure out the same thing. The good news for golf is that they had a great year and are wondering if they will level off at a new higher normal. Imagine being in the downtown hotel and convention business. They would be thrilled to be back at 1/2 what they used to do sometime next year instead of basically 0 right now.

Even with a vaccine early (hoping) in 2021, I don’t think people will begin travelling until 2022 so I see golfing to be an outlet for recreation. My bet is 2021 will see good growth at retail although 2022 if travelling is back on, I can see a glut of clubs on the used market at great prices 😜 in 2022.

Depends on how the election goes.
Yep, this will be a big factor. That said I believe once we are post Covid some will move on and others will stay. As far as sales, that will really depend on the economy.

Hard to say. I think people working from home more have them closer to the course and playing more. If things open back up, we’ll see, but I think we will still see a push.

Id say it really depends on the economy and how quickly it recovers. If people are still out of work next year like they are now, its going to be tough.
You don't play golf when you cant afford to put food on the table or pay your rent/mortgage.
I agree with that and no you cant.

And with that you now bring up a different scenario pertaining to the possibility of what happens if covid stays for a lot longer and through next year?

.Ive come to realize even more than i have before that in golf there are a whole heck of a lot of people with a lot of money and even many with complete financial freedom. A relatively large portion of the golfing community was always made up of such folks. A very large percentage of golf's participants who can afford new equipment like clubs on a regular basis as well as top tier balls, and higher priced golf perishables and all the other "sales" related things on a regular basis in the industry were never (for the most part) those living pay to pay in the first place. I feel a huge portion ()even majority) of the industry always depended upon the folks who regularly upgrade equipment anyway. And those folks are mostly the ones with the money to do so and (as mentioned) do imo make up a large portion of the industry's consumers.

i think the small boom we see now lives with covid and then dies with covid. And i think (due to the above reasons) it can last a pretty long time. But eventually if this doesnt end it will at some point (just like anything else) have to fail. But i think thats a long ways off before that would happen.

Id say it really depends on the economy and how quickly it recovers. If people are still out of work next year like they are now, its going to be tough.
You don't play golf when you cant afford to put food on the table or pay your rent/mortgage.
I don't think the people driving golf are the people struggling right now. It's the people who were already poor mostly who are getting hammered by this economy. I know that's not 100% of the cases, but a lot of people that were doing well pre-Covid are doing fantastic during Covid and a lot of people who were struggling before are struggling worse now.

Be interested to see how many people upgrade their equipment next year because they determine that what they bought in 2020 doesn't fit them or doesn't work and actually get fit in the winter of 20/21.

Wonder if the use club market will take off like the used car market - 20% gain in 3 months.
I know CPO seemed really thin on product and there were very few bargains to be had.

Wonder how much Club Champions business has jumped YOY

Politics aside, It's all going to depend on jobs.

All my contractor and small business friends are holding their breath right now.

Yes my son works in industry and all signs positive as can be done safely and as people age golf good recreation versus some other.
I do think price point on new equipment for the value added past editions may be too high in general but others will figure out how to adapt to that.

I don't think the people driving golf are the people struggling right now. It's the people who were already poor mostly who are getting hammered by this economy. I know that's not 100% of the cases, but a lot of people that were doing well pre-Covid are doing fantastic during Covid and a lot of people who were struggling before are struggling worse now.
I agree. Except I will mention that there are a whole lot of folks who were living on the poorer side of the income scale who have now made more money than they ever have before. I mention that in light of the unemployment plus 600 per week stimulus. Right, wrong , or indifferent (thats a whole other discussion) but there are a whole lot of people for at least the time being who are doing or did just as well and in many cases a lot better than they ever have and all the while staying home. Yet a lot of those same folks , some of which may now be golfing) are not usually the crowd who ever supported golf anyway. And likely most who do now participate will go back to not playing once things return back to normal.

Last edited:
Yes, I do believe golf has another strong year in 2021, however nothing like what we saw in 2020.

Is it wrong that I unrealistically want sales to continue to trend up, but participation to go down? I've always enjoyed the fact that the mrs and I on our home course (and at times even bragged about it) can finish a round in about 2:30-3:00. The last 10-12 rounds have been 4:30-5:00 if we even finish. Guess good 'ol karma has kicked me in the giggle spot :ROFLMAO:

I hope not! tee times have been tough to get and green fees are higher, I didn't get to play many great courses that I usually do this year because it's been so busy.

I agree that this year was definitely an aberration, but some percentage of those who took to golf this year will continue to play and will be in the market for new equipment. So, numbers should be up in 2022. I just don't know by how much.

I hope it remains strong, but I think the pandemic, the election and the resulting economy will all play a huge part next spring.

I hope so but with the increase in sales from last year I would say the sales might not be as high as 2020 but the golf played would increase in 2021. People have equipment, they just have to go play or get lessons. Overall it's great for the Golf industry from equipment to instruction.

I do not think that the sales growth of the past couple of months will be sustained. For many of the reasons cited above.

The challenge for brands now will be sustainability and pivoting their efforts to keep people who just joined the game "stuck".

Back