Do you trust the Hype!!

Am I the only one who thinks fittings are a little over rated for us amateurs?

Probably not.
But if you have a semi repeatable swing, I think some solid gains can be expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could agree with a little bit. I've never been professionally fit and I'm doing ok. Some people are using stuff wildly ill fitting for themselves though, which is something you really wouldn't know without getting fit in the first place. So I can see it both ways.

Rory has the Epic SZ so I'm buying one hehe.

I will still buy sight unseen but I go into every new product expecting to get fit into it at some point. Worst case it doesn't outperform the gamer and I flip it for a small loss. I usually go into a new product expecting zero to minimal gains and just see where it takes me.

I like the hype, but what I will believe is results that I see when demoing. Doesn't mean I will necessarily get a proper fitting (which I definitely should), but I really want to try out the two different heads to see which is best for my swing.

Does it mean I will buy from brick & mortar? No. Well possibly. If I do buy though, it will be at the best possible price.

I don't know necessarily how over rated they would be, my interest in a fitting is moreso if there would be noticeable difference with a different shaft/head pairing.

It's a great question and I think it depends on the fitting and the amateur.
If a guy can't swing even remotely consistently a fitting will have less value but still could offer some insight into helpful gear or settings. Things like loft/lie/length are helpful for anyone.

I have never been fitted for a driver because I find that hard to justify paying 4- $500 for one golf club. Maybe some day.

nope, there is little point in me getting a fitting now because the chance of me putting together 3 consecutive consistent swings is pretty low. That said the goal is to get a consistent swing. Not necessarily a great swing, but consistent, then go on for a fitting and see what works best for me.

Sometimes. That RBZ hype from taylormade a few years I didn't trust. I guess it just depends on perception

I know there is a thread about the Callaway Epic & SZ drivers but I have a different question. How many people will admit to purchasing either one of the drivers based on what they hear or read instead of getting properly fit. I know I'm tempted because of how far I have to travel to be properly fit??? How about you????

does hype alone influence a decision to buy a certain driver ?? no .. but it hard to overlook the pros using a certain driver ..... & as for fittings .. i have played close to 40 years and have not ever been fit and have been pretty sucessful and by trial and some error i know what shaft is right for me ..

as for the Callaway epic driver .. there has been many drivers that tried to boast huge distance gains that did not stack up .. 5 yards is a anomily .. and i have a hard time believing that the average player with low to medium swing speed is going to go from ...say 230 carry and increase to 240..245 or farther without a drastic change to how they swing the club from using the Epic ...

this summer one of my regular golf partners who was using a M2 driver and hitting it very good ... he brought out a 10 year old Bobby Jones driver and was hitting it as far as the M2 and farther at times so what does that say about technology ?? to me it always is not going to be the best

I think if you have an adjustable driver, then it's absolutely a must. With irons, probably not as important. Every set I've been fit for, I've always ended up with irons off the rack. I'm mr average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back